Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2022, 05:07 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,907,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
source is very relevant.
examples: if someone references a white supremacist source and site it is relevant. if someone references a source known for antisemitism it is relevant. if someone references a source and site known for militant atheism and anarchy it is relevant.

the source is relevant because it reflects the mindset of the view being expressed here on CD forum.

Did you ever consider that the term "anarchist" might refer more to someone who rebels against the religious status quo? In that sense I am an anarchist of sorts. But again, I'll discuss any of the points offered on the website. Google "20 reasons to abandon Christianity" and choose whatever you want. I'd be happy to discuss it with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 05:16 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Did you ever consider that the term "anarchist" might refer more to someone who rebels against the religious status quo? In that sense I am an anarchist of sorts. But again, I'll discuss any of the points offered on the website. Google "20 reasons to abandon Christianity" and choose whatever you want. I'd be happy to discuss it with you.
The site you are referencing is the Anarchist Library. The author of the article you are quoting, recommending, and promoting is described by the Anarchist Library as "a militant atheist and anarchist." He founded See Sharp Press which has this self-proclaimed mission statement: "See Sharp Press is a cause-driven small press. Our mission is to make available radical books and e-books in the areas of anarchism and atheism."

The Anarchist FAQ states "It is a fact that most anarchists are atheists. They reject the idea of god and oppose all forms of religion, particularly organised religion. " That is the militant anti-religion atheism of anarchism presented and demonstrated in your posts.

Old 12-22-2022, 07:03 PM

Quote:
The site you are referencing is the Anarchist Library. The author of the article you are quoting, recommending, and promoting is described by the Anarchist Library as "a militant atheist and anarchist." He founded See Sharp Press which has this self-proclaimed mission statement: "See Sharp Press is a cause-driven small press. Our mission is to make available radical books and e-books in the areas of anarchism and atheism."

The Anarchist FAQ states "It is a fact that most anarchists are atheists. They reject the idea of god and oppose all forms of religion, particularly organised religion. " That is the militant anti-religion atheism of anarchism presented and demonstrated in your posts.

(sigh)

You insist on feigning indignation at the very thought material drawn from a website with the word, "anarchist" in it would be introduced on this website, "Horrors! Horrors! What are you bringing into the R&S forum, you anarchist, you!"

Come on! Act like an adult. If you want to discuss any of the 20 excellent reasons the author gives for considering abandoning Christianity let's do it. But if you're simply choosing to dodge the issue because it would destabilize your belief in Jesus I'll understand your reluctance. Just say so.

Old 12-22-2022, 07:16 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:

It may surprise you to learn that even anarchists...and yes, atheists...have freedom of speech, too.

Old 12-24-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
(sigh)

You insist on feigning indignation at the very thought material drawn from a website with the word, "anarchist" in it would be introduced on this website, "Horrors! Horrors! What are you bringing into the R&S forum, you anarchist, you!"

Come on! Act like an adult. If you want to discuss any of the 20 excellent reasons the author gives for considering abandoning Christianity let's do it. But if you're simply choosing to dodge the issue because it would destabilize your belief in Jesus I'll understand your reluctance. Just say so.
Well, as one can see, TWICE I invited Tzaphkiel to discuss any or all of the 20 reasons to give up Christianity as listed in the link below:

https://theanarchistlibrary.org/libr...n-christianity

and twice he rebuffed my invitations. What is it about Christians? They're quick to criticize anyone who questions their faith but when it comes to defending their faith they suddenly clam up like....well, a clam.

Why, one has to wonder?

Is it because they have absolutely nothing to defend their faith with? That has to be it.

As I once said elsewhere: Skeptics have the truth on their side and that's why they can invite a Christian to debate with them and be confident the Christian will shun the debate--because they knows that the Christian KNOWS skeptics have the truth about Jesus of the gospels and can prove Jesus wasn't real. I mean there have been a hundred different books written by Jesus mythicists in the last 20 years alone that detail voluminous evidence he wasn't the son of god.

I extend the invitation to Tz--or any Christian for that matter--to discuss any of the 20 topics found on the link above. It will be a cordial non-hostile discussion on my part and I'm happy to talk about what it was that caused me to decide to give up Christianity.

Old 12-24-2022, 12:16 PM

8,167 posts, read 6,918,994 times
Those 20 reasons are all having to do with a TWISTING of Christ's teachings...
so why is it "20 reasons to leave CHRISTianity?"

Old 12-24-2022, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Those 20 reasons are all having to do with a TWISTING of Christ's teachings...
so why is it "20 reasons to leave CHRISTianity?"

You've always been a sweetheart, .sparrow so easy to talk to and never abusive. Let me tell you my position on what I write and then please correct me:

You mention the twisting of Christ's teachings. The research I have done points to the fact that the things in the gospels are not Jesus' teaching because those words were written by anonymous Greek scholars 50-100 years after Jesus' crucifixion--assuming he was crucified (we don't know; we don't have any records of such a crucifixion or of Pilate ever having condemned a man named Jesus to be crucified). Nearly all of the stories in the gospels were drawn from a variety of earlier sources. Like for example:

* Jesus feeding the 5000 taken from Elisha feeding the 100 with a few loaves.

* Jesus raising Jarius' daughter from the dead taken from Elisha raising Shunammite woman's son from the dead

* Jesus raising the Widow of Nain's son from dead taken from Elijah raising the widow's son from the dead

* Jesus turning water into wine taken from various miracles of Dionysus turning water into wine

And on and on. Nearly every story in the gospels can find a basis or inspiration from earlier sources whether from the OT or Homer or various mythological gods' stories

This Jesus never wrote anything down so we cannot assign his name to any writings like we can Julius Caesar, for example.

There is absolutely no historical evidence for Jesus, Joseph or Mary, or that Joseph was a carpenter or that Jesus was born in Bethlehem and lived in Nazareth.

Origen an early church father as much as admitted the stories of Jesus were taken from pagan sources:

"And when we say also that the Word...was produced without sexual union, and that He, Jesus Christ was crucified and died, and rose again, and ascended into heaven, we propound nothing different from what you believe regarding those whom you esteem sons of Jupiter."

This is just a small part of what troubles me about believing in Jesus, .sparrow because who am I actually believing in?

Please feel free to chime in so we can have a discussion about these issues.

Old 12-25-2022, 01:08 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,788,660 times
Quote:
You've always been a sweetheart, .sparrow so easy to talk to and never abusive. Let me tell you my position on what I write and then please correct me:

You mention the twisting of Christ's teachings. The research I have done points to the fact that the things in the gospels are not Jesus' teaching because those words were written by anonymous Greek scholars 50-100 years after Jesus' crucifixion--assuming he was crucified (we don't know; we don't have any records of such a crucifixion or of Pilate ever having condemned a man named Jesus to be crucified). Nearly all of the stories in the gospels were drawn from a variety of earlier sources. Like for example:

* Jesus feeding the 5000 taken from Elisha feeding the 100 with a few loaves.

* Jesus raising Jarius' daughter from the dead taken from Elisha raising Shunammite woman's son from the dead

* Jesus raising the Widow of Nain's son from dead taken from Elijah raising the widow's son from the dead

* Jesus turning water into wine taken from various miracles of Dionysus turning water into wine

And on and on. Nearly every story in the gospels can find a basis or inspiration from earlier sources whether from the OT or Homer or various mythological gods' stories

This Jesus never wrote anything down so we cannot assign his name to any writings like we can Julius Caesar, for example.

There is absolutely no historical evidence for Jesus, Joseph or Mary, or that Joseph was a carpenter or that Jesus was born in Bethlehem and lived in Nazareth.

Origen an early church father as much as admitted the stories of Jesus were taken from pagan sources:

[i]"And when we say also that the Word...was produced without sexual union, and that He, Jesus Christ was crucified and died, and rose again, and ascended into heaven, we propound nothing different from what you believe regarding those whom you esteem sons of Jupiter."[/I
]

This is just a small part of what troubles me about believing in Jesus, .sparrow because who am I actually believing in?

Please feel free to chime in so we can have a discussion about these issues.
You know what, thrill? You've got the same attitude toward Christianity as you do toward atheism. There's some kind of strictness in both beliefs. But in both cases, you don't seem to go beyond what you've heard/read. This is WHY church leaders become church leaders. Because they DO go above and beyond...

...which I can plainly see, by most of your posts, that you're not willing to do.

What I bolded above wasn't from Origen -- It was from Justin Martyr.

So, I can do one of two things here, thrill. I can either accuse you of trying to mislead--lie--be deceptive to others, OR, I can chalk up your "mistake" to a simple mistake...on YOUR part.

And since it's OBVIOUS to anyone else who actually researches what you say, that you made an error in your so-called "facts", one has to wonder...

What OTHER so-called "facts" have you gotten wrong?

By the way...Merry Christmas....

Old 12-25-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
You know what, thrill? You've got the same attitude toward Christianity as you do toward atheism. There's some kind of strictness in both beliefs. But in both cases, you don't seem to go beyond what you've heard/read. This is WHY church leaders become church leaders. Because they DO go above and beyond...

...which I can plainly see, by most of your posts, that you're not willing to do.

So, I can do one of two things here, thrill. I can either accuse you of trying to mislead--lie--be deceptive to others, OR, I can chalk up your "mistake" to a simple mistake...on YOUR part.

And since it's OBVIOUS to anyone else who actually researches what you say, that you made an error in your so-called "facts", one has to wonder...

Yes, you're right about Justin martyr. I got him mixed up with Origen attributing the four gospels to Matthew Mark Luke and John.

But let's talk about o' Justin Martyr. What exactly did he mean by"when we talk about Jesus we don't say anything different from what you say about Zeus and Hercules"?

Old 12-25-2022, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post

Mink, I've extended the invitation to I don't know how may Christians to debate me on the issues. Now I know you have a law background and it's only fair to tell you that I have a law background too. So I know when you're playing lawyer, and by the way, you're cute when you have your Perry Mason digs on. So when I see you leave the post with a question

Quote:
I know you're in law mode because of course that's how lot of attorney's love to sum up their presentation.

To answer the question succinctly, when it comes to Jesus son of God I haven't gotten anything wrong. Show me where I have.

But let's look at the tenor of your post.

You catch me in a very minor mistake of attributing a line to the wrong church father. That's like you inadvertently quoting John 3:16 and saying Luke said it. No big deal. But ever the lawyer, you're going to seize on that tiny teensy little slip and milk it for everything it's worth, trying to call into question everything I've ever said about Jesus being mythical, "Wow, Thrill, gigantic goof--mistaking Justin for Origen. Can we really trust anything about Jesus you have to say now????????"

Pure Perry Mason.

So I extend to you the same offer I extended to .sparrow and Rob4JC and BaptistFundie and Tzaphkiel andThoreau and to a few other Christians in here:

Choose any of the 20 points in the link about good reasons abandoning Christianity and let's discuss them. I'll tell you exactly which points motivated me to give up Christianity and we can have a pleasant discussion.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 12-25-2022 at 06:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality