Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2022, 10:07 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,994,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The volume is key.

But have you ever asked yourself why christians are so confrontational to individuals and our society?
Atheists often have plenty to say too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bTFyqRPBuuQ

As we can see from this.
I don’t necessarily agree with either points of view, or attitude here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 10:10 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,277,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Atheists often have plenty to say too:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bTFyqRPBuuQ

As we can see from this.
I don’t necessarily agree with either points of view, or attitude here.
I've never proselytized in public by atheists (or Buddhists).

Old 12-29-2022, 10:31 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,994,404 times
Quote:
I've never proselytized in public by atheists (or Buddhists).
Well Jews do not actively try to convert anyone either?
And some more legalistic Christian groups are more aggressive in their recruitment techniques than others.
I’ve had atheists say to me things like “if you’ve got nothing else in your life, then you turn to God or religion”.
This is an equally false assumption made by some atheists, to try to dismiss religion. (and implicit attempts at de-conversion)

Old 12-29-2022, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Well Jews do not actively try to convert anyone either?
And some more legalistic Christian groups are more aggressive in their recruitment techniques than others.
I’ve had atheists say to me things like “if you’ve got nothing else in your life, then you turn to God or religion”.
This is an equally false assumption made by some atheists, to try to dismiss religion. (and implicit attempts at de-conversion)
I don't know whether Jews proselytize or not. That's why I didn't comment on it.

Oh...so christians get to say their mind, but atheists don't? That's christian privilege at work.

Old 12-29-2022, 11:52 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,788,660 times
Quote:
I don't know whether Jews proselytize or not. That's why I didn't comment on it.

Oh...so christians get to say their mind, but atheists don't? That's christian privilege at work.
Oh, that's a crock, phet. Christians "speak their mind" by talking about Jesus. Some atheists "speak their minds" by verbally attacking Christians and/or insulting them for speaking their minds, and talking about Jesus.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Oh, that's a crock, phet. Christians "speak their mind" by talking about Jesus. Some atheists "speak their minds" by verbally attacking Christians and/or insulting them for speaking their minds, and talking about Jesus.
Yes, that's true...but it seems as if many of our christian posters here don't think we should be able to do so.

Old 12-30-2022, 12:45 AM

4,640 posts, read 1,788,660 times
Quote:
Quote:
Yes, that's true...but it seems as if many of our christian posters here don't think we should be able to do so.
Don't think that atheists should be able to do WHAT? Verbally attack a Christian for thinking like a Christian thinks?

I came here several years ago, and I posted on a thread because I thought that I had something of value to contribute to that thread.

I was met with hostility from atheists, even though, my post wasn't hostile at all. I was talking about facts regarding the languages of the bible, and how (to paraphrase) we couldn't simply look at the English version, and take it to be literal.

From atheists, I got the whole, "Well, Mink, you're just STUPID if you think that!" I mean seriously, phet...what's with the insults?

It's fine to want to speak your mind, but does that include insulting others who speak theirs?

Old 12-30-2022, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Don't think that atheists should be able to do WHAT? Verbally attack a Christian for thinking like a Christian thinks?

I came here several years ago, and I posted on a thread because I thought that I had something of value to contribute to that thread.

I was met with hostility from atheists, even though, my post wasn't hostile at all. I was talking about facts regarding the languages of the bible, and how (to paraphrase) we couldn't simply look at the English version, and take it to be literal.

From atheists, I got the whole, "Well, Mink, you're just STUPID if you think that!" I mean seriously, phet...what's with the insults?

It's fine to want to speak your mind, but does that include insulting others who speak theirs?
Christians need to stop being such weak sisters nowadays. Every time that someone disagrees, even vehemently, with your religious viewpoint it seems disingenuous for you folks to be crying about being attacked. Do you come on a forum expecting everyone to simply agree with your religious viewpoint? If you do, then you don't understand open forums. As Harry Truman put it: "If you can't the heat, stay out of the kitchen". When I was a teacher and principal, every time someone criticized public education I didn't whine about being attacked. I think you ought to do some reading about the history of christianity if you want see attacking.

Old 12-30-2022, 09:18 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
It is interesting. Because of all those things it's just Jesus that keeps you from getting in to trouble with sex, drugs and rock and roll. Which is mainly what Jesus is for. To help us feel good about behaving in an orderly social manner. Well, that and the eternal life deal.

But none of that "changed my life" stuff really tells us if the Judeo- Christian version of all this is true. It's not evidence of anything except that the person has changed their thoughts or at least their behaviors.

And none of the apologetics surrounding Jesus means anything.

The only real proof that it is true is if Jesus returns like he said would. It is my belief based on my own observations that every one of us will die a natural death and that Jesus will not have returned. Thus passing the controversy to the succeeding generations. They will wrestle with it and pass it on to their succeeding generations.

It is my hope that Christianity will slowly evolve back to Jesus social message as opposed to emphasis on blood sacrifice for sins. And that the return of Jesus will go on the back burner sort of like how the "imminent coming" of the Messiah has occurred in the Jewish faith.

The science says that there is no supernatural dimension. We die and then we are like what we were a million years ago. I'd be the first to sign up if there was a scintilla of evidence of an afterlife. But there isn't any. Took me 60 years to come to my senses thanks to the Internet. Young people have the luxury of researching all this like I did but they are too busy just trying to survive in this pithole of a planet. Best they find out the reality of things now before they waste their life on an imaginary afterlife and get on with the only life they'll ever get right here.

Old 12-30-2022, 09:19 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Yes. I suppose it is some sort of placebo effect. Just for fun I googled "(Allah/Quran/Muhammed) will change/has changed (your/my) life" and got some results.

Testimonials of how various aspects of Islam changes lives. So certainly the "changed life" thing isn't exclusive to Christianity.

Every religion has it to some extent I suppose. But not to the neurotic degree Christianity does. I mean look at Ray Comfort if you want to size up someone who should be fitted for a straitjacket.

Last edited by thrillobyte; 12-30-2022 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality