Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2022, 09:31 AM

22,212 posts, read 19,238,916 times

Advertisements

This list is a bit easier to read Top 10 Most Terrifying Civilizations In the History of the World

10 Most Terrifying Civilizations In the History of the World

1. Aztecs (central Mexico)
2. Celts (British Isles)
3. Soviet Union
4. Mongols (central Asia)
5. Nazi Germany
6. Roman Empire
7. Comanche
8. Vikings (Germanic)
9. Maori (New Zealand)
10. Spartans (ancient Greek)

source
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 10:39 AM

16,786 posts, read 4,992,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
cultured Romans? Greek philosophy? classical education?

The Roman state was built on slave labor. "Slaves served in households, agriculture, mines, the military, workshops, construction and many services. As many as 1 in 3, or 1 in 5, were slaves and upon this foundation of forced labour was built the entire edifice of the Roman state."

"Slavery in ancient Rome played an important role in society and the economy. Slaves in Rome might include prisoners of war, sailors captured and sold by pirates, or slaves bought outside Roman territory. " "In Ancient Greece, one in four people were slaves. individuals were enslaved following defeat in warfare, capture in raids or birth to an enslaved mother."
Correct, the cultured Roman gospel writers educated in Greek philosophy and science, and who were given a classical education also belonged to a civilization that used slavery. They also had an efficient health care system, a justice system, usw.

So as usual you are refuting nothing, you are just adding that the the cultured Romans who wrote the gospels, and who were educated in Greek philosophy and science, and who were given a classical education also belonged to a society that used slaves.

Quote:
"education" does not mean a people are civilized. Ancient Rome demonstrates that. Nazi Germany demonstrates that.
I would argue in the case of the Roman civilization, they were civilized (despite using slavery), using the definition of civilization. Surely now you are not developing an allergy to definitions.

The Germans were also civilized, despite their descent into a problem that still exists in the civilized world.

And was the US not civilized when they had slaves?

Quote:
"Improving formal schooling itself is no guarantee of an enlightened society. That won’t necessarily result in better people. In fact, it may result in worse people. On this score, Nazi Germany serves as a historical admonition to us." The rise of Nazism "occurred in what was Europe’s most cultivated, certainly its best-educated country. Germany had the finest elementary school system, the highest literacy rate and the best universities; by 1913 more books were published annually in Germany than in any country in the world. Its technical skill, its industry, its relentless business savvy marked it among modernity’s singular successes." And it gave rise to and produced the Third Reich with attendant atrocities.

article Nazi Germany Was Highly Educated
So once again you are picking an irrelevant argument by agreeing with me about culture and education.

Where is that slow clap emoji?

Last edited by Harry Diogenes; 12-22-2022 at 11:04 AM..

Old 12-22-2022, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Again, where did Jesus say this?
Paul says he got his gospel directly from Jesus.

Quote:
Where does Paul say that he forbids rational arguements?
1 Corinthians 1:19-27, and 1 Corinthians 2:6, the wisdom of this age. Scripture, revelation, speaking in tongues is the way to go.

Quote:
Matthew 5:18 says :"Amen I say to you until heaven and earth pass away, no the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law until all things have taken place."

I'm a Gentile, Harry. I'm not subject to the same dietary laws as the Jews.
According to Matthew 5:18, you are. Nowhere does Matthew say he is only writing for the Jews, that is just an excuse to get out of the contradictory teachings.

Quote:
Eh. I'd rather think of it as 'consequences'.
Alleged 'consequences'.

Old 12-22-2022, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Top 10 most dangerous civilizations in world history:

"Civilizations made human beings organized, social and raised their standard of living. While some civilizations were very progressive and peaceful (Indus Valley) there were other civilizations which were terrifying and aggressive:

1. Aztecs
2. Celts
3. Soviet Union
4. Mongols
5. Nazi Germany
6. Roman Empire
7. Apache
8. Vikings
9. Maori
10. Spartans

source
Those these civilizations were not civilized?

Also, the Vikings (who technically did not exist) were very naughty boys, therefore the gospels were not written by cultured Romans educated in Greek philosophy and science, and who were given a classical education (but who also belonged to a civilization that used slavery)?

That was my original point you are 'arguing' against.

Old 12-22-2022, 11:23 AM

11,102 posts, read 7,171,699 times
Still laughing at the inflated self-importance shown here about one's choice to leave Christianity (or even join, or whatever). Whoopy doo. Nobody is going to give a damn, regardless of all the conversation. I know I'd never start a thread celebrating myself and my decisions. But some need attention to get through each day.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-22-2022 at 11:49 AM..

Old 12-22-2022, 12:04 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,931,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Still laughing at the inflated self-importance shown here about one's choice to leave Christianity (or even join, or whatever). Whoopy doo. Nobody is going to give a damn, regardless of all the conversation. I know I'd never start a thread celebrating myself and my decisions. But some need attention to get through each day.

Read this story about a woman's journey away from Jesus. It might help you:

* she and her children were being abused by her Promise-Keeper husband

* she went to her mega-church and asked for $600 to help her get started on her own so she could protect her children

* the church board said they'd pray about the matter

* they told her that they prayed about it and Jesus told them he wanted her to return to her abusive husband and be a more submissive wife--Jesus also told them he didn't want them to give her the $600.

Typical response from wealthy misogynist churchmen when an abused women seeks help from an abusive husband. "Sorry. We prayed about it and Jesus told us he wants you to go back to your abusive husband."

No wonder:

"Americans are leaving their religions at a faster rate than ever before..."

"I just don't believe this anymore": Why I abandoned my faith"

https://www.salon.com/2015/05/02/i_j...faith_partner/

Old 12-22-2022, 02:42 PM

Forgot about that. My apologies.

Old 12-22-2022, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Forgot about that. My apologies.
It is interesting to note the connection of the anti-religious militant atheism which is so prevalent in your posts, with anarchy and anarchists. It looks you are drawn to militant atheist sites such as The Anarchist Library.

Old 12-22-2022, 02:59 PM

Quote:
It is interesting to note the connection of the anti-religious militant atheism which is so prevalent in your posts, with anarchy and anarchists. It looks you are drawn to militant atheist sites such as The Anarchist Library.

The info presented should not be evaluated on the sources. The claims speak for themselves:

#3 Christianity is based on dishonesty

Do you agree or disagree

#17. Christianity is homophobic.

Do you agree or disagree?

#19 The Bible is riddled with contradictions.

I am willing to discuss any of the issues in the website and present my evidence why they are true. Are you?

Old 12-22-2022, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
The info presented should not be evaluated on the sources. The claims speak for themselves:
#3 Christianity is based on dishonesty
Do you agree or disagree
#17. Christianity is homophobic.
#19 The Bible is riddled with contradictions.
I am willing to discuss any of the issues in the website and present my evidence why they are true. Are you?
source is very relevant.
examples: if someone references a white supremacist source and site it is relevant. if someone references a source known for antisemitism it is relevant. if someone references a source and site known for militant atheism and anarchy it is relevant.

the source is relevant because it reflects the mindset of the view being expressed here on CD forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality