Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2022, 06:24 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
Yeah. So does sex. So, by your rule of thinking, no one should have sex anymore because -- OMG -- it might stimulate the same regions of the brain as cocaine and heroin!

And oh...runners shouldn't run anymore because they might get 'runner's high'.

Try again, thrill.

P.S. I'm still trying to decide how to respond to your other post...

Did the message go completely over your head again, Mink?????

Experiencing Jesus is no different from experiencing drugs because BOTH Jesus and drugs stimulate the EXACT same chemical centers of the brain. JESUS IS A DRUG. HE'S NO DIFFERENT THAN COCAINE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2022, 06:46 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,793,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
did the message go completely over your head again, mink?????

Experiencing jesus is no different from experiencing drugs because both jesus and drugs stimulate the exact same chemical centers of the brain. jesus is a drug. He's no different than cocaine.
So is sex. Did that go completely over your head?

By the way, JESUS came first...BEFORE cocaine.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:13 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:

And Buddha came before Jesus.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And Buddha came before Jesus.
And others came before Buddha.

Does that mean that the message is wrong??
You keep talking about the message, phet. The philosophy.

So, what did the 'alleged' Jesus say that was so 'morally' wrong?

Old 12-20-2022, 07:28 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,928,456 times
Quote:

I fully acknowledge sex probably stimulates the same regions of the brain. I simply didn't research it because it didn't matter to my point. My point is drug addicts are addicted to drugs. Sexaholics are addicted to sex. Christians are addicted to Jesus. All three--drugs, sex and Jesus stimulate the exact same regions of the brain to produce the exact same euphoria. It's not rocket science, Mink. You're addicted to Jesus. Ask yourself if you could give up Jesus. I would guess you probably couldn't unless you were committed to putting up a real battle-same as a heroin addict has to do to kick heroin. It's why failure rates are so high among drug addicts. They simply love the high too much. It feels sooooooooo good. So does a Jesus high. Here's what a former heroin addict said:

“Heroin gave fleeting pleasure. Jesus gives eternal pleasure.”

"I Was Addicted to Heroin

Why Jesus Was More Satisfying"

https://www.desiringgod.org/articles...cted-to-heroin

The length of the pleasure is immaterial. They both gave this man the same feeling. He's just convinced one will last through eternity.

Now let's talk about the social value of being addicted to Jesus. Definitely better for society's sake to be addicted to Jesus than to drugs or sex because with drugs you can OD for real. You steal to get your fix. You can harm other people's lives because of your habit.

How about sex? A sexaholic runs the risk of transmitting AIDS, HPV, Hepatitis B all which can kill as well as herpes simplex b, syphilis, gonorrhea, and a whole other grab-bag of unpleasant goodies.

With Jesus your high doesn't harm society. It can actually benefit society by taking a drug addict off drugs and putting him in church. Think of church as a legal shooting gallery. I would wish every drug addict in America got addicted to Jesus because it makes my life safer. I don't have to worry about a Jesus addict breaking into my home and harming me or my wife because he's too busy shooting up Jesus in church.

But that still doesn't take away from the fact that Jesus is a drug, albeit a very safe drug from society's point of view, not a person who ever lived.

Old 12-20-2022, 07:46 PM

50,831 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
And others came before Buddha.

Does that mean that the message is wrong??
You keep talking about the message, phet. The philosophy.

So, what did the 'alleged' Jesus say that was so 'morally' wrong?
But you want us to believe that your belief system is the right one.

Why don't you believe that mine is? Or that Omar's is?

Old 12-20-2022, 08:00 PM

6,797 posts, read 2,910,085 times
Quote:
Experiencing Jesus is no different from experiencing drugs because BOTH Jesus and drugs stimulate the EXACT same chemical centers of the brain. JESUS IS A DRUG. HE'S NO DIFFERENT THAN COCAINE.
While I certainly agree with the above - particularly when it comes to religious nonsense such as speaking in tongues, slaying in the Spirit, holy laughter'(the supposed 'Toronto Blessing'), howling like a wolf, barking like a dog, etc. etc. this does not necessarily mean that "a genuine Jesus experience" would not activate the very same chemical centers of the brain to which you refer.

Of course, the tongue-speakers, etc. could also make this claim, but I think their actions would more dictate the genuine article from the phony or from the 'giddiness' associated with temporary euphoria.

Whatever, it's more tricky or even impossible to determine whether 'one's claimed experience with Jesus' is ACTUAL or not. We can only take - or not take - a person's word for it.

I guess we need to retain a degree of skepticism about what we cannot know or prove. Otherwise, we believe everything we're told. Those who claim 'a Jesus experience' also need to accept that people ARE going to be quite naturally skeptical regarding their claimed experience.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I fully acknowledge sex probably stimulates the same regions of the brain. I simply didn't research it because it didn't matter to my point. My point is drug addicts are addicted to drugs. Sexaholics are addicted to sex.
Please define what a 'sexaholic' is. Some would say that it's someone who wants orgasms...through intercourse...with a woman...over and over again. If that's the truth, then MOST people are "sexaholics."

The point is, that it's not that simple..

Quote:
Christians are addicted to Jesus.
Actually, and I've said this before, that MANY "Christians" aren't "addicted to Jesus." They're addicted to their own perception of Jesus. YOU were, for a while, right? Isn't that WHY you're an atheist/deist, because of your own perception of who God/Jesus is?

If you believe that God is some tyrant who doesn't give two hoots about us, then you didn't believe in the same God I did. Ever think that maybe your perception is wrong?

Oh, goodness gracious...last thing I want to do is preach to you! Bad Mink...baaaad Mink...

Quote:
All three--drugs, sex and Jesus stimulate the exact same regions of the brain to produce the exact same euphoria. It's not rocket science, Mink. You're addicted to Jesus. Ask yourself if you could give up Jesus. I would guess you probably couldn't unless you were committed to putting up a real battle-same as a heroin addict has to do to kick heroin. It's why failure rates are so high among drug addicts. They simply love the high too much. It feels sooooooooo good. So does a Jesus high. Here's what a former heroin addict said:

“Heroin gave fleeting pleasure. Jesus gives eternal pleasure.”
Even if I AM "addicted to Jesus", so WHAT? I could say the same thing to you about sex. Do you feel like you couldn't live without sex, thrill?

Quote:
The length of the pleasure is immaterial. They both gave this man the same feeling. He's just convinced one will last through eternity.
Sounds good to me!

Quote:
Now let's talk about the social value of being addicted to Jesus. Definitely better for society's sake to be addicted to Jesus than to drugs or sex because with drugs you can OD for real. You steal to get your fix. You can harm other people's lives because of your habit.

How about sex? A sexaholic runs the risk of transmitting AIDS, HPV, Hepatitis B all which can kill as well as herpes simplex b, syphilis, gonorrhea, and a whole other grab-bag of unpleasant goodies.
Yup. O.K. ...Ever think those 'negatives' are there for a reason?

Quote:
With Jesus your high doesn't harm society. It can actually benefit society by taking a drug addict off drugs and putting him in church. Think of church as a legal shooting gallery. I would wish every drug addict in America got addicted to Jesus because it makes my life safer. I don't have to worry about a Jesus addict breaking into my home and harming me or my wife because he's too busy shooting up on Jesus in church.
Well, I don't think it quite works that way, but o.k. For now.

Quote:
But that still doesn't take away from the fact that Jesus is a drug, albeit a very safe drug from society's point of view, not a person who ever lived.
I don't know if you've ever been in love before, thrill. But I can't imagine any man who thinks the way you do, to tell his prospective bride, that he is only feeling some "chemical" thing in his brain...

Apparently, love is a "drug". Not only that but it's a dangerous drug.

Wow. What a concept.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But you want us to believe that your belief system is the right one.

Why don't you believe that mine is? Or that Omar's is?
That's where you're WRONG, phet. This is a religion and spirituality forum. I'm simply putting forth my beliefs.

I don't give two hoots if *you* believe what I have to say or not.

Old 12-20-2022, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
While I certainly agree with the above - particularly when it comes to religious nonsense such as speaking in tongues, slaying in the Spirit, holy laughter'(the supposed 'Toronto Blessing'), howling like a wolf, barking like a dog, etc. etc. this does not necessarily mean that "a genuine Jesus experience" would not activate the very same chemical centers of the brain to which you refer.

Of course, the tongue-speakers, etc. could also make this claim, but I think their actions would more dictate the genuine article from the phony or from the 'giddiness' associated with temporary euphoria.

Whatever, it's more tricky or even impossible to determine whether 'one's claimed experience with Jesus' is ACTUAL or not. We can only take - or not take - a person's word for it.

I guess we need to retain a degree of skepticism about what we cannot know or prove. Otherwise, we believe everything we're told. Those who claim 'a Jesus experience' also need to accept that people ARE going to be quite naturally skeptical regarding their claimed experience.
Personally, I don't get the whole "speaking in tongues" ...thing.

I mean, WHAT does that EVEN mean?

To me, speaking "in tongues" means, that we're all speaking different languages.

I don't get the whole "speaking in tongues" thing to mean, the we have to speak like a five year old, in order to communicate with God...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality