Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2022, 06:36 PM

18,270 posts, read 17,107,065 times

Advertisements

Let me show readers in here how deceptive some Christians have to be to get non-Christians to read their stuff:

I googled "Why I gave up Jesus". I was hunting for stories of people who had decided to leave Jesus behind. I wanted to compare their reasons with mine. The second entry--after the #1 response from Quora was an article, "Giving Up On Jesus" by a guy named Geoff Robson.

https://geoffrobson.com/2016/05/06/giving-up-on-jesus/

Turns out the title is click-bait. His premise it became clear was, "I gave up on Jesus once. Turned out to be worst mistake of my life. Now that I am back with him my life is soooooooo fulfilled. Don't give up on Jesus. You'll never regret staying with him."

I mean I see these deceptive titles all the time, especially on YouTube videos:

"I Hate God" (toward the end of the video "That was before I got to know him. Now I love him so much."

"Jesus Will Always Fail You" (toward end of video "This is what people will tell you but he will NEVER fail you if you just give him a chance."

"There IS No Hell" (toward end of video, "People believe this until they get there and beg Jesus to get them out, but it's too late."

"I Gave Up God" (toward end of video, "Until he revealed himself to me. Now I believe in him and he rewards me every day for my faithfulness."

I mean, REALLY??????

Last edited by thrillobyte; 12-21-2022 at 07:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 07:47 AM

16,934 posts, read 5,145,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are the one off the rails, Thrill. You are trying to evaluate the prevalence of ancient recordings from primitive and largely ILLITERATE eras as if they resemble what you are used to or expect from the evidence in the succeeding two millennia!!!
Another excuse and straw man from you. We are evaluating the ancient recordings of cultured Romans who had obviously had a classical education, whose standard of evidence derived from Greek philosophy was often as good as that from today, a standard that was then lost for nearly two millennia.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
I said what JESUS said. Jesus said, "Do unto others..." Jesus did NOT say, "Women be quiet."
In church, in Corinthians. Or did Jesus not give the gospel to Paul?

Quote:
Jesus did NOT say, "Do not think for yourself."
Again in Paul, where he forbids any rational arguments.

Quote:
Jesus DID say, "Turn the other cheek." Jesus did NOT say, "Do not eat pork."
Do not eat pork is found in Matthew 5:18, which covers eating pork as well as the murder of gays, people who get divorced and then remarry, rebellious teenagers

Quote:
And yes the message is more than the Golden Rule. Whether the Golden Rule is Christian in origin is irrelevant to me. Christ never claimed ownership of that rule, but he obviously thought it was important enough to speak of it.

The message is about loving others and loving God.
And eternal punishment for non-believers.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
We DO have evidence, Harry. But what you want is *proof*.
No, I want credible, consistent evidence.

Quote:
Plus, you want to use today's standards of evidence and apply them to 2000+ years ago.
No, I will settle for those of my ancestors who predated Christianity (although some of today's standards will also be acceptable).

Old 12-22-2022, 08:10 AM

Quote:
What's interesting thrill, is that NO ONE has appealed to your call to agree that I'm "off the rails" with my thinking.

Maybe Harry will later on. But even if he does, he's only ONE person in this internet "stuff".
And scientists, police people, historians. But you are missing one point. Many of our standards were also used in ancient times, such as how to write histories, and how to write fiction.

Old 12-22-2022, 08:19 AM

22,947 posts, read 19,581,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Another excuse and straw man from you. We are evaluating the ancient recordings of cultured Romans who had obviously had a classical education, whose standard of evidence derived from Greek philosophy was often as good as that from today, a standard that was then lost for nearly two millennia.
cultured Romans? Greek philosophy? classical education?

The Roman state was built on slave labor. "Slaves served in households, agriculture, mines, the military, workshops, construction and many services. As many as 1 in 3, or 1 in 5, were slaves and upon this foundation of forced labour was built the entire edifice of the Roman state."

"Slavery in ancient Rome played an important role in society and the economy. Slaves in Rome might include prisoners of war, sailors captured and sold by pirates, or slaves bought outside Roman territory. " "In Ancient Greece, one in four people were slaves. individuals were enslaved following defeat in warfare, capture in raids or birth to an enslaved mother."

"education" does not mean a people are civilized. Ancient Rome demonstrates that. Nazi Germany demonstrates that.

"Improving formal schooling itself is no guarantee of an enlightened society. That won’t necessarily result in better people. In fact, it may result in worse people. On this score, Nazi Germany serves as a historical admonition to us." The rise of Nazism "occurred in what was Europe’s most cultivated, certainly its best-educated country. Germany had the finest elementary school system, the highest literacy rate and the best universities; by 1913 more books were published annually in Germany than in any country in the world. Its technical skill, its industry, its relentless business savvy marked it among modernity’s singular successes." And it gave rise to and produced the Third Reich with attendant atrocities.

article Nazi Germany Was Highly Educated

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-22-2022 at 08:41 AM..

Old 12-22-2022, 08:24 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,000,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
cultured Romans? Greek philosophy? classical education?

The Roman state was built on slave labor. "Slaves served in households, agriculture, mines, the military, workshops, construction and many services. As many as 1 in 3, or 1 in 5, were slaves and upon this foundation of forced labour was built the entire edifice of the Roman state."

"Slavery in ancient Rome played an important role in society and the economy. Slaves in Rome might include prisoners of war, sailors captured and sold by pirates, or slaves bought outside Roman territory. " "In Ancient Greece, one in four people were slaves. individuals were enslaved following defeat in warfare, capture in raids or birth to an enslaved mother."

"education" does not mean a people are civilized. ancient Rome demonstrates that. Nazi Germany demonstrates that.
Much of American history apparently demonstrates that, as well.

And by the way, the Roman state and the American culture believed in god(s). And in 4 paragraphs you didn't say slavery was wrong.

Old 12-22-2022, 09:13 AM

22,947 posts, read 19,581,046 times
Top 10 most dangerous civilizations in world history:

"Civilizations made human beings organized, social and raised their standard of living. While some civilizations were very progressive and peaceful (Indus Valley) there were other civilizations which were terrifying and aggressive:

1. Aztecs
2. Celts
3. Soviet Union
4. Mongols
5. Nazi Germany
6. Roman Empire
7. Apache
8. Vikings
9. Maori
10. Spartans

source

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 12-22-2022 at 09:56 AM..

Old 12-22-2022, 09:20 AM

4,660 posts, read 1,845,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
In church, in Corinthians. Or did Jesus not give the gospel to Paul?
Again, where did Jesus say this?

Quote:
Again in Paul, where he forbids any rational arguments.
Where does Paul say that he forbids rational arguements?

Quote:
Do not eat pork is found in Matthew 5:18, which covers eating pork as well as the murder of gays, people who get divorced and then remarry, rebellious teenagers
Matthew 5:18 says :"Amen I say to you until heaven and earth pass away, no the smallest letter or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law until all things have taken place."

I'm a Gentile, Harry. I'm not subject to the same dietary laws as the Jews.

Quote:
And eternal punishment for non-believers.
Eh. I'd rather think of it as 'consequences'.

Old 12-22-2022, 09:29 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,000,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Top 10 most dangerous civilizations in word history:

"Civilizations made human beings organized, social and raised their standard of living. While some civilizations were very progressive and peaceful (Indus Valley) there were other civilizations which were terrifying and aggressive:

1. Aztecs
2. Celts
3. Soviet Union
4. Mongols
5. Nazi Germany
6. Roman Empire
7. Apache
8. Vikings
9. Maori
10. Spartans

source
So you are supporting the brutal catholic-related practices of the Spanish in Central and South America to put the Aztecs and similar civilizations in their place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality