Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2014, 10:12 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,250,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hivemind31 View Post
Go ahead. But they'll draw some odd responses if they're not on topic. I could respond and say that I like pizza...but nobody would care.

That's true, and I apologize for hijacking the thread. I thought my story was kind of related.

This is the off-topic stuff that I was talking about.
My posts are on topic to me. I'm okay with what I'm posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 10:13 AM

4,613 posts, read 4,811,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
In hindsight, it's not as rewarding and usually more debilitating. If you feel that you can over reach than you should, but over reaching usually comes with consequences. Just like underachieving comes with consequences as well. The closer two people are to even, the happier I believe they are. Any other way just seems like you're trying to impres other people or prove a point.
I've rarely found it a matter of "over reaching" as it is just "wanting something you can't have". I thought the whole concept was stupid until it happened to me. I still feel like an idiot about it. Such is the way of the psyche.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
My posts are on topic to me. I'm okay with what I'm posting.
I think the Phoenix Suns are way underrated this year.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:17 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,302,402 times
Quote:
I've rarely found it a matter of "over reaching" as it is just "wanting something you can't have". I thought the whole concept was stupid until it happened to me. I still feel like an idiot about it. Such is the way of the psyche.
Most people know what their talents are once they reach a certain age, so that's why I call it over reaching. The pot bellied guy with the blonde bombshell woman is an anomolly, or he has something that is compensating that is considered of value to her (lifestyle, security, etc.)

Most of us are just your average people. If you lose a bunch of weight, change how you dress, and get a better job, well you have found yourself in a different category of desirability. What I'm talking more of is the person that doesn't really want to as much as lift a finger, but wants to "jump" categories. I'm not saying you have to date average, but some people are just out of our reach, and I resepct that. I'm a glass is half full realist. Not the glass is runeth over opportunist.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:21 AM

25,899 posts, read 42,816,761 times
Quote:
It's all good. It's not a sympathy thing.
Empathy then.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:21 AM

957 posts, read 1,064,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foclampt View Post
I have an idea, I've heard so many guys on here talk about how women never do the approaching, I'm going to try it out...for the rest of the month, every time I see a guy who I feel is attractive - I'm going to walk up to them and tell them so. I'm going to
If they are with another woman I will compliment her on her good taste in men.
Then I'm going to report back to CD with the results...that will be March the 18th.
How many think that the guys will look at me like I just stepped off a spaceship?
How many think the guys will laugh in my face and walk away?
How many will get out a peice of paper and a pen and start exchanging phone numbers?
How many of them with women, will the woman present slap me?

To make it a real experiment, lets say I have to go for a quota of 25 guys total...
Ready, set.... GO
So it's probably going to be the same guys that typically get approached by women

I've been approached by women, but my shyness was crippling. I used to think they were mocking me or something. I didn't even like talking to random dudes back then.

I'm a lot better now, I'll flirt back and have a conversation, even if I'm not interested..

Snowboarding and my career have really helped me along, I'll bull**** with anyone now

Old 02-19-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezerfan84 View Post
Most people know what their talents are once they reach a certain age, so that's why I call it over reaching. The pot bellied guy with the blonde bombshell woman is an anomolly, or he has something that is compensating that is considered of value to her (lifestyle, security, etc.)

Most of us are just your average people. If you lose a bunch of weight, change how you dress, and get a better job, well you have found yourself in a different category of desirability. What I'm talking more of is the person that doesn't really want to as much as lift a finger, but wants to "jump" categories. I'm not saying you have to date average, but some people are just out of our reach, and I resepct that. I'm a glass is half full realist. Not the glass is runeth over opportunist.

Oh totally. I'm just saying that, as an example, my latest experience in this regard was with a woman who was "average" in most respects, but the second she told me that she wasn't interested, I instantly wondered why and thought about her a LOT more often. I never considered that over reaching. Simply wanting something that I (suddenly couldn't) have.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post
So it's probably going to be the same guys that typically get approached by women

Maybe. But she did say that her "type" is different than most, for what it's worth.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:25 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,250,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallV84 View Post

I've been approached by women, but my shyness was crippling. I used to think they were mocking me or something. I didn't even like talking to random dudes back then.

I'm a lot better now, I'll flirt back and have a conversation, even if I'm not interested..

Snowboarding and my career have really helped me along, I'll bull**** with anyone now
If we all found the same people attractive, we'd all look the same by now.

Old 02-19-2014, 10:25 AM

4,828 posts, read 4,302,402 times
Quote:
Oh totally. I'm just saying that, as an example, my latest experience in this regard was with a woman who was "average" in most respects, but the second she told me that she wasn't interested, I instantly wondered why and thought about her a LOT more often. I never considered that over reaching. Simply wanting something that I (suddenly couldn't) have.
Lately I've discovered when they don't want me, and I bounce, they come back later wanting to pursue me. With experience, they just realize they are attracted to guys that treat them poorly. It's all psychological, but it's things they can change. As people, we just have to want to change and most of us are stubborn as mules. That's what makes people so great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships