Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 02:39 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,140,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
If you look through my long list of postings on gun threads I don't think you will find a single snide remark about the people or their reasons for exercising their individual right to not carry.
Unless I single out a statement made by you, I wouldn't take my comment so personally.

Quote:
If you are going to start throwing out numbers, please back them up with a source.
My source was the FBI crime statistics, to arrive at the numbers that I came up with you would have to do multiple computations across a number of data fields, nothing really complicated but not something that you can make a direct link to.

Quote:
Who said protection is only intended for strangers?
I think that any fair read of the comments that I was responding that it is fairly obvious that friends and family aren't the object of their concerns.

Quote:
If my heavily medicated sister goes off her meds and comes after me with a steak knife,
I'm glad I am not a member of such a loving and caring family.

And you were doing so good up until that last bit. Funny how reasonable folks can seem to be until they find themselves falling back into character in their last paragraph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 02:42 PM

22,231 posts, read 19,540,352 times
No, no point to it.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:42 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,758,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
For me,the cost/benefit doesn't come out in favor of carrying, simple as that.

It may be the old troop in me talking, but if you're carrying a firearm, you're obliged to be on high alert. Like with driving, you owe it to your surroundings to be sharp, to not have anything cloud your judgment. (Can't drink, for instance.) And then you have to watch the damn thing in itself - it's a very theft-worthy item to drag around. I've schlepped a Gvt. issue rifle often enough and long enough that firearms have no intrinsic attraction to me anymore.

I then take a look at where I work - no firearms allowed, but we have security - including armed guards - up the proverbial yinyang. And I commute on a motorcycle. Not practical.

We live in a neighborhood where I called to report a drunk teenager in the street and had 3 police cruisers, an ambulance and a firetruck present within minutes.

Assessing the risks vs. the hassle, I've made my decision. And I completely realize that I may end up on the bad side of the statistics, so don't bother dreaming up scenarios. Looking statistics in the eye is what risk analysis is.
This is exactly the benefit I get from carrying. I'm am no longer complacent in my everyday actions. I pay more attention to whatI do and where I go. It keeps me on my toes when I answer an alarm at a remote generating site or substation never know when some drunk deer hunter is going to shoot up a transformer or someone else....

Old 11-17-2009, 02:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,140,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
This is exactly the benefit I get from carrying. I'm am no longer complacent in my everyday actions.
I'd hate to point out just how illogical that is, so I won't.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:46 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,362,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
This is exactly the benefit I get from carrying. I'm am no longer complacent in my everyday actions. I pay more attention to whatI do and where I go. It keeps me on my toes when I answer an alarm at a remote generating site or substation never know when some drunk deer hunter is going to shoot up a transformer or someone else....
Respectfully....What does this mean?

Old 11-17-2009, 02:50 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,758,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'd hate to point out just how illogical that is, so I won't.
Ok Mr.Spook I'll bite.....Why.
Carrying a firearm forces you to accept great responsibility. You have to pay more attention to your surroundings. Can't be bee-bopping down the sidewalk with your head in a cloud of reefer smoke.....

Old 11-17-2009, 02:51 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,554,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
I think this may be an interesting gun thread.

Plz note that I talk about handgun CARRY,
with a concealed carry permit ( CCL),
not posession of a handgun at home.

Let's hear your comments,especially of those who don't want to carry...
Yes.
I am a closing manager that frequently carries night deposits.
And because I can!

Old 11-17-2009, 02:52 PM

1,291 posts, read 2,901,575 times
I carry everyday, I do not intend to be a defenseless victim if the bad guys show up.

I also view guns as fun and shoot a lot, collect them, hunt and greatly value my 2A rights.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:53 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,362,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoxkeeper View Post
I carry everyday, I do not intend to be a defenseless victim if the bad guys show up.

I also view guns as fun and shoot a lot, collect them, hunt and greatly value my 2A rights.
But you take it seriously when you carry one in public don't ya

Old 11-17-2009, 03:14 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,089,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Let us have a polite discussion,people who carry do so because...they like it
& those who don't carry,do so either because of carry prohibition
or because they just don't like guns...
However,those bans in NY,NJ & Chicago are terrible,they must be repealed somehow,sometime...
One thing that needs to be pointed out, is that it is all of Illinois that it is illegal to carry a handgun. Chicago's ban is on even owning a handgun. And yes the ban is being heard by the US Supreme Court next year. As soon as the handgun ban in DC was ruled unconstitutional, people filed against Dictator Dailey nd the city of Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies