Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 12:21 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,652,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar
I don't...and I don't see a need for one.
Quote:
chielgirl:

Ditto.
Nothing else needs to be said.
How nice you two Never-Never-Land folks have found one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 12:31 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,452,122 times
No because in NJ it is damn near impossible to get a permit to carry. I do own guns and know how to use them though.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:36 PM

2,362 posts, read 3,004,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
That'd be great if the the criminal element felt the same way. As it is, the sociopaths amongst us usually don't offer that option before they rob, rape, kill, etc.
Yeah, I'm just not worried about it. And I probably live in a more dangerous area than you.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:46 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,149,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
That'd be great if the the criminal element felt the same way. As it is, the sociopaths amongst us usually don't offer that option before they rob, rape, kill, etc.
You are more likely to be robbed, raped and killed by a sociopath acquaintance that a sociopath stranger. You would be far safer being a better judge of friends and relatives than by owning a gun. Again, I am not opposed to you having one, just trying to eliminate the hyperbole from the conversation.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:48 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,149,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Yeah, I'm just not worried about it. And I probably live in a more dangerous area than you.
I always find this to be the most perplexing part of the equation. Folks who actually live in higher crime areas, have a far more accurate assessment of their risk than those who don't.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:51 PM

2,573 posts, read 2,497,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
No because in NJ it is damn near impossible to get a permit to carry. I do own guns and know how to use them though.

So,NJ is like NY...

Will the new gov make an effort to change the law ?

Old 11-17-2009, 12:52 PM

47,062 posts, read 26,166,304 times
Default Nope.

For me,the cost/benefit doesn't come out in favor of carrying, simple as that.

It may be the old troop in me talking, but if you're carrying a firearm, you're obliged to be on high alert. Like with driving, you owe it to your surroundings to be sharp, to not have anything cloud your judgment. (Can't drink, for instance.) And then you have to watch the damn thing in itself - it's a very theft-worthy item to drag around. I've schlepped a Gvt. issue rifle often enough and long enough that firearms have no intrinsic attraction to me anymore.

I then take a look at where I work - no firearms allowed, but we have security - including armed guards - up the proverbial yinyang. And I commute on a motorcycle. Not practical.

We live in a neighborhood where I called to report a drunk teenager in the street and had 3 police cruisers, an ambulance and a firetruck present within minutes.

Assessing the risks vs. the hassle, I've made my decision. And I completely realize that I may end up on the bad side of the statistics, so don't bother dreaming up scenarios. Looking statistics in the eye is what risk analysis is.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:59 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,345,245 times
I'm old, almost retirement age and have never seen need for a weapon.
Heck, I was in the military so long ago that I didn't have to touch a weapon then, either.
Never had one, don't want one, can't see why I would ever need one.

When I live in the States, I live in a typical urban area.
Still see no need for it.

I liked the comment about getting a better class of friends.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:06 PM

4,576 posts, read 4,122,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
I think this may be an interesting gun thread.

Plz note that I talk about handgun CARRY,
with a concealed carry permit ( CCL),
not posession of a handgun at home.

Let's hear your comments,especially of those who don't want to carry...
I don't carry.

I don't want to carry because I don't have a reason to. I'm not paranoid that around every corner is someone out to get me, and I don't ever carry anything worth stealing or fighting over. If someone really wants the emergency 20 I keep in my pocket, they can have it, my credit cards have extremely low limits and you can get them cancelled in minutes.

I also don't have the time to become a good enough shot that I'd feel comfortable using it. So whats the point.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:08 PM

4,576 posts, read 4,122,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Queen View Post
Its not hard to figure out how to use them, point and squeeze the trigger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies