Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 10:46 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,492,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Do you personally CARRY a handgun legally ?

Yes

If yes,why so ..?

Have you ever been to Houston?

Not yet,but I will do soon..

Houston was my #1 choice for immigration,until I checked Miami's climate & sea colour...
However,a waterfront lot at Seabrook would be my 2nd best choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 11:02 AM

47,020 posts, read 26,085,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If I think I will be in danger I will be armed. I wonder why people assume that someone that spends the considerable cost of a gun will not take the time and energy to lear how to use it properly and responsibly?
Well, one can't help noticing that a lot of people spend a considerable larger amount on a vehicle, yet fail to operate it properly and responsibly.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:14 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,629,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I can generally avoid getting into trouble in the first place. Even if I'm not able to get out of it, having a gun won't help me any. Killing someone isn't going to help me any. Beating the snot out of them, though, will make them think twice about attacking me again.
I don't know many law-abiding citizens who go around looking for trouble. And of course it is to your credit.

But beyond that, your post makes no sense. Yeah, yeah, I know of your self-proclaimed ability (on this and other threads of the same nature) of being able to strangle attack dogs and flip three muggers a$$ over tin cup and leave them all a bloody wreck in the streets.

Well, maybe you can. But I wonder why -- with your skills -- you aren't making millions as the Ultimate Fighter champion? Come to think of it, I never even heard of you before! I would think any man who can do all that stuff would be all over national news. And a hero, fer gosh sakes!

Anyway, back to the point -- and I am really not trying to be sarcastic -- but I am not even sure what you are trying to say. If you are attacked and can handle them with those bare hands that can bend steel, then great.

But as it is, in a situation that would warrant the deadly-force, self-defense, then those who are going to provoke it, are usually not going to attack you with bare fists. Unless they REALLY think they can take you (and in most cases, they are street-savvy enough to know they can. Having sized you up ahead of time).

Killing someone won't help you any? Well, I don't know about you, but if using deadly force keeps me or my family alive against a criminal attack, then it damn sure helps in my schematic of priorities! LOL

The central idea is to "stop" the assault rather than kill the assailant(s) anyway. And every year, thousands of folks do just that. Stop the potential crime by the deterrent factor of just showing the weapon...

And the part about beating the snot out of them making them think twice about attacking you again? Geez. You likely, if it happens, won't even know them. You are not going to frighten them off by going into a Hai Karate stance (remember those old 60's commercials? LOL).

Seriously -- Chuck Norris movies notwithstanding -- VERY few people can handle two on one. Much less three on one. And much less if one is trying to defend their family at the same time. (In fact, to paraphrase Hunter Thompson "even a small, inept young street fighter has a tremendous advantage over the average middle age man who hasn't had a fight since puberty..")

These sociopaths know all the moves and make sure they have all the devious and learned advantages possible. And most times, when running up against them, especially young women and elderly folks? Having a gun available is their only means of coming alive and uninjured.

Unless, of course, YOU are around to save them! (couldn't resist that, sorry)

[

Old 11-18-2009, 01:16 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,461,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Don't need a gun to feel like a man. I pack my own heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Penis envy.
and to think that you are the smart one in your family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I don't own a gun because an innocent person is much more likely to end up dead before I would ever use it for any legitimate purpose.
that is what education and training are for. if you are not a clumsy, irresponsible, uneducated idiot, then you should have no problems.

it doesn't matter how you try to cut it, because that is the reality; there are so few exceptions that if you follow the firearm safety rules, you will not have to worry about this happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
You're going to tell me one of you egotistical people are not going to throw some kind of hint of how bad you are with you pack'n? Gimme a break. How many times you think I've been around the block?
do you even realize that your whole argument is based off of a complete void of critical thinking? apparently you haven't been around the block enough to know a logical fallacy (or three) when you see it.

for crying out loud, you don't even need a college education to figure this one out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Do you guys get into thast many fights?
Sheesh, I'm glad I don't live near you.
chiel, i've conversed with you a number of times over the two years or so that i've been here, and i know that you have the capacity to analyze a situation better than this––when it isn't tied directly to an issue that you are emotionally reactive about.

let's leave the non sequiturs and ad hominems for another forum.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:19 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,020,304 times
I don't, don't see a need for one and I would be totally afraid that it would easily get into the wrong hands and be used to kill me or worse, harm my family and my child. I do not like guns AT ALL. and they make me VERY uncomfortable.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Which is totally reasonable considering that white males, particularly over the age of 35 who are not in high risk occupations have an infinitesimal chance of being involved in a violent crime, particularly a violent crime committed by a stranger, which I find more than a bit ironic since most of the folks arming themselves to the teeth are white males over 35 who for the most part live in the suburbs.

I used to have this argument on forums like GlockTalk and ConcealedCarry which, needless to say, resulted in the most angry and irrational attempts at rebuttal, but the numbers just don't lie.
Quote:
I'm not opposed to you owning, carrying or sleeping with a fire arm. The only thing that I find objectionable is the over wrought arguments that I read defending that right.

By the way your chances of experiencing a house fire are 5 times the chance that you will be the victim of a violent crime. Also, fire alarms and insurance are obligatory as a part of most folks mortgages. Just say'n.
Quote:
You are more likely to be robbed, raped and killed by a sociopath acquaintance that a sociopath stranger. You would be far safer being a better judge of friends and relatives than by owning a gun. Again, I am not opposed to you having one, just trying to eliminate the hyperbole from the conversation.
Quote:
I always find this to be the most perplexing part of the equation. Folks who actually live in higher crime areas, have a far more accurate assessment of their risk than those who don't.
you are fighting a losing battle as far as logic is concerned. there is no magical line drawn in the statistics anywhere that says you are justified for owning a firearm for self defense in these neighborhoods, but not these others.

you even go to the trouble to use phrases like, "the numbers don't lie," and others. true. the numbers don't lie. crime happens everywhere, and even in the remotest, most peaceful areas of the states, firearms have been legally used by good citizens to stop violent crime.

and your generalization about how "Folks who actually live in higher crime areas, have a far more accurate assessment of their risk than those who don't," is based so far off of nothing but your own biased opinion.

further, this is not merely an issue of "choosing better friends." that certainly helps quite a bit, but that is not always the issue. and sometimes even the most socially responsible people are victimized by both those that they know and trust, and those that they don't.

you keep mentioning that you don't have a problem with people owning guns, but that you are tired of the hyperbole and stuff.

great.

but you are dismissing a lot of valid argument as hyperbole, simply because you have yet to fully analyze it, or simply disagree with it.

following your above logic, jeepjeep's example of homeowners' insurance is perfectly viable, whether or not it is mandated by law or not. for the same reason, i have car insurance––not just liability, but a comprehensive coverage––as well as smoke detectors, CO detectors, a watch dog, locks on my doors, seat belts in my car, etc.

i very rarely have had the need for any of these, though it has happened. but however rare the chances of asphyxiating on carbon monoxide in my own home are, you can't realistically expect people to believe that they are overreacting if they purchase a detector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Yeah, I'm just not worried about it. And I probably live in a more dangerous area than you.
i bet that i live in one of the most peaceful areas out of anyone that has so far participated in this thread; within the top ten, i'd wager.

tell that to the family that had to go through this tragedy just a few nights ago:

ksl.com - Investigators remain tight-lipped about Payson murder

so, since statistics tell us that this crime should not have happened to these people, the rest of us are obviously deluded when we note their proximity to our own homes, are we not? you would still laugh at anyone that thought they might eventually need a weapon in self defense, that happened to live in a nicer neighborhood than you?

Old 11-18-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I'm not paranoid that around every corner is someone out to get me, and I don't ever carry anything worth stealing or fighting over.
neither am i. in fact, out of the avid gun owners just on this forum, only a small fraction of them have struck me as paranoid. most of them have impressed my with their ability to intellectually analyze situations and arguments, and to remain calm and civil in the face of some of the rabid gun control advocates that come in here screaming.

now, i realize that my opinion is biased simply for the fact that i have chosen a side of the argument. but time and time again, it is those same gun control advocates that come in here with paranoid, illogical arguments. if you disagree with me, feel free to make a case against it.

Quote:
I also don't have the time to become a good enough shot that I'd feel comfortable using it. So whats the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Its not hard to figure out how to use them, point and squeeze the trigger.
you do know that these two statements completely and utterly shut out any possibility of any of us taking you seriously, don't you?

not only are you showing yourself to be ridiculously unaware of the topic that you are trying to talk with us about, but you are contradicting yourself.

do some homework before you waltz into a discussion about something that you don't have any background or information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Yes, my hubby does wherever the law allows for various reasons.

Why not? there are many kooks out there that you need to protect yourself from.
true. hopefully, he will never need to use it. but it would certainly suck to need it and not have it.

Quote:
No one will break into our house or hotel room and leave walking.

No one will assault any member of my family and not pay the price.
the words you use here lead me to believe that you are under a false sense of security about your safety. guns do not guarantee anything, therefore, you can't claim that "no one" will ever victimize you.

making those kinds of claims only makes you more of a potential victim, because you think yourself untouchable.

Quote:
Our kids have been trained well and know how to use all types of guns if they need to use them. Each of my kids would use them in a heartbeat if need be.

All kids should take proper training and safety courses.
i agree that all kids should have the opportunity, but it should be up to them and their parents. just as the gun control crowd is fundamentally wrong for trying to force some people to give up their guns, anyone that tried to force people to own them or to train with them would be in the same unconstitutional boat.

i realize that this wasn't necessarily your point, but for some reason, the gun control crowd seems to miss this important idea pretty often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
If you are not trained in defending your weapon you are more likely to be shot with it than shoot someone else
bull. i have only seen one study so far that tried to claim this, and it was written by a biased group, and ignores the fact that reality does not support the claims.

show us your source, and we'll see if it presents anything new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If I think I will be in danger I will be armed. I wonder why people assume that someone that spends the considerable cost of a gun will not take the time and energy to lear how to use it properly and responsibly?
honestly, i think that it is because there are enough ignorant, irresponsible gun owners that are paraded across the tv screens and newspapers every day that people do what comes naturally: generalize, assume, become frightened, and then malign the object of their irrational fear.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:32 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,492,982 times
Some of the non gun & anti gun people's arguments have merit...
They are correct & true...

I think that the 3 categories,pro,non & anti- gun can coexist peacefully,if each one of the 3 agree not to shove their opinions on the 2 others' throats...
Therefore,the anti-gun legislation must be repealed,CCL & open carry must be lawful in all states,with no "gun free"" zones

The non & anti who are true liberals/libertarians & have faith in democracy must help the pro gun people to restore their rights...

We must follow the doctrine...
"I dislike your rightful cause but I will assist u in fighting for that rightful cause of yours...".

Old 11-18-2009, 01:34 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,171,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
I think this may be an interesting gun thread.

Plz note that I talk about handgun CARRY,
with a concealed carry permit ( CCL),
not posession of a handgun at home.

Let's hear your comments,especially of those who don't want to carry...
I do not - because I have not been able to afford the $200+ concealed carry class that is required. However, one day I hope to be able to afford it and I will MOST CERTAINLY carry a gun at that time.

Because the world is full of nut cases. That's why.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-18-2009, 01:35 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,592,066 times
Lightbulb Do you personally CARRY a handgun legally ?

Yes.

There's been an unprecedented increase in drug-related violence in my area over the past two years. I don't intend to be a helpless victim if it tries to catch me in the crossfire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies