Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:16 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,220,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
That's exactly why you don't feel threatened. The creeps don't know who's armed and chances are, their intended victims are!
I have no idea what the concealed weapons laws are in my state, or what percentage of people carry. And I don't feel threatened at all. So obviously, my state of contentment has absolutely nothing at all to do with how many people are carrying. The same is probably true for Emeraldmaiden.

Moral of the story: don't jump to conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 11:25 AM

873 posts, read 1,805,572 times
Yeah, you hear about that happening all the time, don't you????????? Actually, I've NEVER heard of it happening. Sounds like your ego might have a few problems...lol. Carrying should have nothing to do with ego and people who think that it does are kinda moronic. I guess armed cops and soldiers all have inflated egos too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
How about the concept where a bunch of egotistical, gun toting, conceal carry mongers are having a nice friendly drink in a bar when somebody insults somebody else's wife, girl friend, mother, whoever? I'm wait'n for that to happen somewhere.

If I'm in a bar with even one person carrying, I'm gone! Want nothing to do with an inflated ego.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:26 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,400,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
If you're carrying concealed, it's usually against the law to drink or in some cases even step foot in a bar. For all other case, you'd never know if someone is carrying, that's the point. I wish you the best of luck finding a place to patronize.
Now, to me that makes no sense. You're allowed to carry a concealed weapon but only during certain occasions? You're going to tell me one of you egotistical people are not going to throw some kind of hint of how bad you are with you pack'n? Gimme a break. How many times you think I've been around the block?

Old 11-17-2009, 11:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
I carry a SIG 45, Why? Because I might need it.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:29 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,682,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
If you're carrying concealed, it's usually against the law to drink or in some cases even step foot in a bar. For all other case, you'd never know if someone is carrying, that's the point. I wish you the best of luck finding a place to patronize.
There are no drinking anf carrying laws Florida, except that if you go to a bar to drink, you have to drink at a table, not at the bar.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:31 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,077,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I have no idea what the concealed weapons laws are in my state, or what percentage of people carry. And I don't feel threatened at all.
Which is totally reasonable considering that white males, particularly over the age of 35 who are not in high risk occupations have an infinitesimal chance of being involved in a violent crime, particularly a violent crime committed by a stranger, which I find more than a bit ironic since most of the folks arming themselves to the teeth are white males over 35 who for the most part live in the suburbs.

I used to have this argument on forums like GlockTalk and ConcealedCarry which, needless to say, resulted in the most angry and irrational attempts at rebuttal, but the numbers just don't lie.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:36 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,400,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy View Post
Yeah, you hear about that happening all the time, don't you????????? Actually, I've NEVER heard of it happening. Sounds like your ego might have a few problems...lol. Carrying should have nothing to do with ego and people who think that it does are kinda moronic. I guess armed cops and soldiers all have inflated egos too.
Never heard of anybody flying airplanes into buildings either except in a Tom Clancy novel.

Some cops and soldiers/marines need to be supervised more than others, some need to be eliminated.

There are two types of people when it comes to guns. The type you can trust behind you and the type you have to have in front of you.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:39 AM

1,255 posts, read 3,198,320 times
I carry two around here it would be a mistake not to.

hillman

Old 11-17-2009, 11:44 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,916,262 times
Quote:
Now, to me that makes no sense. You're allowed to carry a concealed weapon but only during certain occasions?
Depending on the location, you can't carry into a bar and sometimes a restaurant that serves drinks. In TN, all any business has to do is put up a "no carry allowed" sign and you can't carry. Most of us avoid those locations and let our wallet do the talking.

Quote:
You're going to tell me one of you egotistical people are not going to throw some kind of hint of how bad you are with you pack'n?
What's with the name calling? When you are in public and carrying, not only are there laws to follow there is sort of an unwritten code of conduct. Avoid any confrontation. If you get in a confrontation, leave or do your best to smooth things over even if it means getting your pride stepped on. Never pull your weapon to threaten someone. In most places that is considered 'brandishing a weapon' and is a felony. When you pull your weapon you have exhausted all other options and you fear for your life and/or the lives around you.

I'm a carry permit holder since April and carry about half the time I am out. It will be more when I can get a good in-the-waistband holster. During the winter, I can carry my larger pistol in a coat pocket.

Why do I carry? Because it is my insurance policy. I never want to have to use it but it is there just in case. For those that mentioned mace, kives, etc. - you never bring a knife to a gunfight.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:45 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,880,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
I have no idea what the concealed weapons laws are in my state, or what percentage of people carry. And I don't feel threatened at all. So obviously, my state of contentment has absolutely nothing at all to do with how many people are carrying. The same is probably true for Emeraldmaiden.

Moral of the story: don't jump to conclusions.
I'm not jumping to conclusions at all. You admit you do not know the laws in your state. Idaho is a shall issue state plus it allows open carry with no permit at all: (Idaho CCW Concealed Carry Hand Gun Legal Info (http://apps.carryconcealed.net/legal/idaho-ccw-state-laws.php - broken link)). I'd feel very safe there . That's the beauty of law-abiding citizens carrying whether or not you know it. The bad guys don't know either which has been proved makes think twice about plying their trade.
If you or Emeraldmaiden don't want to own or carry weapons, that's fine. No one is trying to say otherwise, just know you are around guns all the time in Idaho, you just don't know it and yes, they are helping to keep you safe by keeping the creeps in the dark about just who is able to shoot them and who isn't .
Your state of contentment is very similar to "ignorance is bliss". You are content, but do not know all the reasons why. The fact that the more law abiding people with CCW's there are lowers the crime levels (this is fact in virtually every state with shall issue laws) is a part of your contentment. You just didn't know it until now. It's great to educate yourself in matters that really do affect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies