Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 10:41 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by holygrail View Post
I carry when I am traveling or going to parts of a city that could be less safe than other parts. This is the one place I separate from liberal ideas. I am for hand guns and gun ownership, but I do support some restrictions. I left the NRA because they are to far nut job for me. They want no restrictions on guns, they say they do but they then fight any measure to restrict them. The NRA is only for its big corporation brothers, that is the end they care about, if S&W can make a profit or not, not about if me or you has the right to carry, they only fight for what will sell the most guns. In my home state the CCW was passed by a coalition not the NRA. I quit giving them my 35 a year several years ago.
I feel that if someone is afraid of guns, they have every right to not have one, I feel the same as I do toward religion, when religion tries to make laws that infringe on others rights, I.E. abortion, alcohol, gambling, prostitution, myth taught in school ect. then they have went way to far and need to be stopped. Same with this situation, if a person does not like guns, that’s fine with me, but they should not try to stop me from having them, and I should not condemn them for not having one.
Thank you - and that was the point of my post - to explain that while I don't like and don't want guns, I also do not condemn those that do. If having a gun makes you feel safer (or you simply want rifles for hunting) then go for it - just don't bring them around me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 10:45 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I don't carry, concealed (no permit, though I could get one) or openly (legal in AZ). So far, I haven't felt the need, even in the rootin', tootin', gun-totin' state of Arizona!
That's exactly why you don't feel threatened. The creeps don't know who's armed and chances are, their intended victims are!

Old 11-17-2009, 10:48 AM

124 posts, read 163,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorseherb View Post
I just renewed my Indian permit today

Quite a funny typo for this thread. Any luck yet?

Old 11-17-2009, 10:50 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,879,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
By NY,I assume u mean NYC...
Plz elaborate on the reality about hangun carry in NYC.
Say,that u file an application for CCW.U state "safety concerns".
It gets rejected...
Can u appeal ?
Can u proceed legally,can u sue the municipality or ...whoever...?
No I mean all over NY State. Some upstate counties will give CCW's but not many.
You will not get a CCW in NYC unless you know people in very high office and even then probably not.
Safety concerns are not enough to qualify.
You can appeal but it is fruitless. If "the powers that be" do not want you to have one (and virtually all of them are anti-gun liberals) you are not going to get one. You cannot sue as this is the written law, the decision is up to the local judge/law enforcement official/sheriff.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,399,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
If a 6'6" 250# hood grabs you, throws you to the ground, pulls out a knife, and demands you do everything he wants, will your attitude toward owning a gun remain the same?

Not that it will matter what your attitude is right then. It's too late.
And that hood is not going to know you have a gun? And stab your tiny wittle butt anyway?

Old 11-17-2009, 11:05 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
I am a gun toting liberal, although I don't carry as often as I used to.

I began to carry in ernest when I was reporting on drug gangs in Florida, one of which had a nasty habit of contracting murders of civilian witnesses. The police thought it was a wise course of action. But now that I live in the Philadelphia area, I tend to leave my weapon at home, strange heh, considering Philly's murder rate. But frankly, I don't associate with the same sort of folks these days so, I tend not to carry a weapon 75% of the time.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:05 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,280,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Woman make up the fastest growing group of people carrying concealed weapons.

Your explanation?
Penis envy.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:06 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,399,694 times
How about the concept where a bunch of egotistical, gun toting, conceal carry mongers are having a nice friendly drink in a bar when somebody insults somebody else's wife, girl friend, mother, whoever? I'm wait'n for that to happen somewhere.

If I'm in a bar with even one person carrying, I'm gone! Want nothing to do with an inflated ego.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:07 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,291,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theolsarge View Post
How about the concept where a bunch of egotistical, gun toting, conceal carry mongers are having a nice friendly drink in a bar when somebody insults somebody else's wife, girl friend, mother, whoever? I'm wait'n for that to happen somewhere.

If I'm in a bar with even one person carrying, I'm gone! Want nothing to do with an inflated ego.
If you're carrying concealed, it's usually against the law to drink or in some cases even step foot in a bar. For all other case, you'd never know if someone is carrying, that's the point. I wish you the best of luck finding a place to patronize.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:12 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,218,924 times
I don't own a gun because an innocent person is much more likely to end up dead before I would ever use it for any legitimate purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies