Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 01:10 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,941,474 times

Advertisements

Rarely, but if I'm out by myself in rural Alaska, I feel better if I have something that can make some noise if I fall down and can't get up. Phones don't always work in some places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 01:14 PM

1,984 posts, read 3,887,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Its not hard to figure out how to use them, point and squeeze the trigger.
I truly hope you do not own a firearm. If you ever decide to, please get some instruction! You obviously don't have a clue.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:17 PM

737 posts, read 1,179,696 times
Why would I want to carry a gun around with me?

Old 11-17-2009, 01:17 PM

1,984 posts, read 3,887,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I don't carry.

I don't want to carry because I don't have a reason to. I'm not paranoid that around every corner is someone out to get me, and I don't ever carry anything worth stealing or fighting over. If someone really wants the emergency 20 I keep in my pocket, they can have it, my credit cards have extremely low limits and you can get them cancelled in minutes.

I also don't have the time to become a good enough shot that I'd feel comfortable using it. So whats the point.
Your last sentence says it all. For you, it's better if you do not posess a gun let alone carry it. Good for you.
As for paranoia, that has nothing to do with why most carry guns. As for you not carrying anything worth stealing, many criminals would beat or kill you just for that reason. You have nothing to give them therefore you dared waste their time trying to rob you.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:55 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,288,229 times
NO!

I live in Marin County, it is more likely that Jenna Jameson is going to knock on my door and ravage me than I be granted a permit to exercise my god given right to defend myself. Of course, where I live is pretty low crime, and I work on a school campus, so the odds are I wouldn't carry, even if they granted me a permit.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:56 PM

4,332 posts, read 4,928,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The only thing that I find objectionable is the over wrought arguments that I read defending that right.
I have a lot of opinions about the reasons to not carry but I find none objectionable. Everyone has a different reason. If you look through my long list of postings on gun threads I don't think you will find a single snide remark about the people or their reasons for exercising their individual right to not carry.

Quote:
By the way your chances of experiencing a house fire are 5 times the chance that you will be the victim of a violent crime. Also, fire alarms and insurance are obligatory as a part of most folks mortgages. Just say'n.
If you are going to start throwing out numbers, please back them up with a source. I hope it is a source other than the Brady campaign or any other similar group. Whether my house is paid for or not, I would still have insurance on it as well as monitored smoke alarms.

Quote:
You are more likely to be robbed, raped and killed by a sociopath acquaintance that a sociopath stranger. You would be far safer being a better judge of friends and relatives than by owning a gun. Again, I am not opposed to you having one, just trying to eliminate the hyperbole from the conversation.
Who said protection is only intended for strangers? If my heavily medicated sister goes off her meds and comes after me with a steak knife, I'll do what I have to do to neutralize the threat. If my drug addict niece decides she needs some extra cash for meth and breaks in she won't get any special treatment from me. I do a better job at picking my friends than I do my relatives.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:56 PM

2,573 posts, read 2,497,934 times
Let us have a polite discussion,people who carry do so because...they like it
& those who don't carry,do so either because of carry prohibition
or because they just don't like guns...
However,those bans in NY,NJ & Chicago are terrible,they must be repealed somehow,sometime...

Old 11-17-2009, 02:11 PM

2,039 posts, read 3,288,229 times
A right ceases to be when you have to ask for permission.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:34 PM

10,650 posts, read 10,763,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
I used to have an xd40 subcompact but thought it was too chunky for my crossbreed holster so I sold it. What do you use to holster it?
Blackhawk cqc... It has paddle release that trigger finger drops on when withdrawing. I had to notch a bit off the top to accommodate the CT. Some people think it's too big carry but I'm 6ft 235 it hides pretty easily.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:37 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,365,568 times
No way, no how. I don't like guns and I wouldn't feel comfortable having one on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies