Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 01:55 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,552,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
I think that the 3 categories,pro,non & anti- gun can coexist peacefully,if each one of the 3 agree not to shove their opinions on the 2 others' throats...
You haven't been in the religous area, have you?
For some people, thay're not happy unless and until they can push their view onto someone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 02:06 PM

2,574 posts, read 2,492,982 times
[quote=hortysir;11680370]You haven't been in the religous area, have you?
For some people, thay're not happy unless and until they can push their view onto someone else.
[/quote

These people are -metaphorically - called "fascists "...

They are the enemy of liberty,"the enemy within"...

Old 11-18-2009, 03:26 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,344,140 times
Gun sales shoot up amid America’s fear of rising crime and terrorism - Times Online

Old 11-18-2009, 04:11 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,705,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I don't know many law-abiding citizens who go around looking for trouble. And of course it is to your credit.

But beyond that, your post makes no sense. Yeah, yeah, I know of your self-proclaimed ability (on this and other threads of the same nature) of being able to strangle attack dogs and flip three muggers a$$ over tin cup and leave them all a bloody wreck in the streets.

Well, maybe you can. But I wonder why -- with your skills -- you aren't making millions as the Ultimate Fighter champion? Come to think of it, I never even heard of you before! I would think any man who can do all that stuff would be all over national news. And a hero, fer gosh sakes!

Anyway, back to the point -- and I am really not trying to be sarcastic -- but I am not even sure what you are trying to say. If you are attacked and can handle them with those bare hands that can bend steel, then great.

But as it is, in a situation that would warrant the deadly-force, self-defense, then those who are going to provoke it, are usually not going to attack you with bare fists. Unless they REALLY think they can take you (and in most cases, they are street-savvy enough to know they can. Having sized you up ahead of time).

Killing someone won't help you any? Well, I don't know about you, but if using deadly force keeps me or my family alive against a criminal attack, then it damn sure helps in my schematic of priorities! LOL

The central idea is to "stop" the assault rather than kill the assailant(s) anyway. And every year, thousands of folks do just that. Stop the potential crime by the deterrent factor of just showing the weapon...

And the part about beating the snot out of them making them think twice about attacking you again? Geez. You likely, if it happens, won't even know them. You are not going to frighten them off by going into a Hai Karate stance (remember those old 60's commercials? LOL).

Seriously -- Chuck Norris movies notwithstanding -- VERY few people can handle two on one. Much less three on one. And much less if one is trying to defend their family at the same time. (In fact, to paraphrase Hunter Thompson "even a small, inept young street fighter has a tremendous advantage over the average middle age man who hasn't had a fight since puberty..")

These sociopaths know all the moves and make sure they have all the devious and learned advantages possible. And most times, when running up against them, especially young women and elderly folks? Having a gun available is their only means of coming alive and uninjured.

Unless, of course, YOU are around to save them! (couldn't resist that, sorry)

[
I prefer to harm no one. I definitely do not feel a need to kill someone else. The reason I'm not in something like UFC is that I'm not fighting for the enjoyment of it, but for survival. The UFC isn't "real", people aren't going to die or be permanently injured in there. There's referees--there is no referee in real life.

I have been attacked by my wife--do you suggest I should have kept a gun around so she could have shot me? Or that I shoot her when she attempted to harm me? Is that any way to treat someone you "love"?

No. But I think there IS something to what you say, since I've seen people turn and walk across the street upon seeing me approach.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:30 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,241,188 times
I neither own nor carry and have no use for a firearm though I have been reconsidering in anticipation of Texas secession from the shattering Union.

However, NOTHING comes between me and the Constitutional right of any person to possess a firearm.

NOTHING

Old 11-18-2009, 08:41 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,795,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
I think this may be an interesting gun thread.

Plz note that I talk about handgun CARRY,
with a concealed carry permit ( CCL),
not posession of a handgun at home.

Let's hear your comments,especially of those who don't want to carry...
If I feel the need to carry one I do but most of the time I don't. But if I have to work late at night in a bad area I will pack one even though it is against my company policy.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:59 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,407,796 times
No, for three reasons

1. I have never felt that unsafe that I though I needed one.
2. I do not know that I would be able to use one if the need arose. You can be all gung-ho about packing heat, but actually pulling the trigger on another person may be more challenging then many people tend to believe, or so I have heard.
3. I figure that there is a higher chance that there would be an accident with it, then there is of me actually needing to use it.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,122,073 times
I don't for a couple of reasons;

1. I'm pretty clumsy and I'd probably end up just shooting myself
2. If attacked I'd probably say something dumb like; "Does your mother know what you are doing? Do you think she'd be proud of you right now? You know this isn't the right thing to do., etc. etc." instead of using the gun anyhow. Unless my kids or grandkids were being threatened. Then I'd just shoot the sucker dead.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:16 AM

2,574 posts, read 2,492,982 times
Let's try to refine the subject.
Those of u who don't carry,
do u do so because of dislike of guns
or out of fear of guns...
Dislike is a healthy emotion,but fear should be treated & eventually cured...
Noone should be afraid of anything...
Remember the great phrase...We have nothing to fear,but fear itself...

Old 11-19-2009, 11:21 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,521,965 times
if you attempt to use a gun on a robber 2 ways to take your money--- with another gun--- or much better $$$$ with a lawyer .
let me give you a hint - have you figured out how a cop --a viet vet or gulf war vet-- that is on the range 2 x a week--- can fire 3 clips at 15 feet and miss every one?
its called pension and job security.

Last edited by Huckleberry3911948; 11-19-2009 at 11:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies