Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 09:37 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,340,531 times

Advertisements

Yes, my hubby does wherever the law allows for various reasons.

Why not? there are many kooks out there that you need to protect yourself from.

No one will break into our house or hotel room and leave walking.

No one will assault any member of my family and not pay the price.

Our kids have been trained well and know how to use all types of guns if they need to use them. Each of my kids would use them in a heartbeat if need be.

All kids should take proper training and safety courses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 09:41 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,748,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't...and I don't see a need for one.

I do, because when the need for one becomes apparent, it will certainly be far too late to go and get one then.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:02 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,645,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkins Well View Post
Yeah, I'm just not worried about it.
That's great if you feel so secure. But don't think that fact alone makes one a "tough guy". In fact -- in some cases -- it might translate into naivety.

I've had my share of fist-fights growing up too (and who cares?), but got enough sense to realize the criminal element out there who are planning on robbing, raping, killing (sometimes just for the sheer thrill of it) don't play by those rules. If someone thinks they can defend themselves/family against a pack of thugs with their bare-hands, then more power to them.

Quote:
And I probably live in a more dangerous area than you.
And just how would you know that? It's immaterial, in any case.

Regardless, if someone doesn't feel a need -- or doesn't want to -- or just has an aversion to guns -- then that is their business and none of mine. It neither impresses nor bothers me one way or another if someone chooses to shun them. On the other hand, those of us who feel it is better to have it and NOT need it, than need it and NOT have it, are motivated by another reality and premise.

By the way, I have a CCL, but very seldom actually carry.

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-18-2009 at 07:12 AM..

Old 11-18-2009, 07:16 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,645,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
You are more likely to be robbed, raped and killed by a sociopath acquaintance that a sociopath stranger. You would be far safer being a better judge of friends and relatives than by owning a gun. Again, I am not opposed to you having one, just trying to eliminate the hyperbole from the conversation.
The statement about rule playing is not hyperbole. It is reality expressed in a direct way.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:37 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,750,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
The statement about rule playing is not hyperbole. It is reality expressed in a direct way.
If you are not trained in defending your weapon you are more likely to be shot with it than shoot someone else

Old 11-18-2009, 08:41 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,885,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
False logic. Open carry is legal in Arizona, and concealed carry requires a permit. Most places of business have signs prohibiting firearms in their establishments. If someone is carrying concealed illegally, no one will know until they shoot someone. That makes me feel less safe, not more. The open carry people are no better; since they do not require specific safety and proficiency training, they are more likely to mishandle their weapon in the public sphere.
Talk about false logic. Please tell me how many people who openly carry are known by you to be irresponsible and have no training. Please give me some numbers of how many of them have been arrested for misusing their firearm? What does stores having signs prohibiting firearms have to do with the fact that there are many people carrying concealed on the streets and everywhere there are no signs? Please explain your logic here.
You imply that CCW owners are out there just waiting to shoot people. You have no facts to back up your statements only your personal feelings. Logic?

Old 11-18-2009, 08:44 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,885,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I hate guns, they scare the crap out of me. I would probably shoot myself in the foot if I had one. That being said , I think anybody (outside of people convicted of a crime or someone who is insane) who wants one should be able to have one.
Thank you. Very logical and well thought out.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:33 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,742,532 times
Except it's kinda hard to tell when someone IS insane.

Except when they go out and want to purchase a weapon for later use.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:37 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,742,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
How nice you two Never-Never-Land folks have found one another.
I can generally avoid getting into trouble in the first place. Even if I'm not able to get out of it, having a gun won't help me any. Killing someone isn't going to help me any. Beating the snot out of them, though, will make them think twice about attacking me again.

Old 11-18-2009, 10:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,916,246 times
If I think I will be in danger I will be armed. I wonder why people assume that someone that spends the considerable cost of a gun will not take the time and energy to lear how to use it properly and responsibly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies