Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 07:33 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,276,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Oddly enough, I've never carried or owned a handgun or any gun (I have handled a few types of guns before but have never fired one and admittedly do not know how), and I don't generally have problems with fear or my character, and am quite frankly perplexed that you feel if someone chooses not to own a gun that they have some sort of defect in character and/or are cowering in fear.

The main reason that I do not own a gun is that I've never felt the need for one (the fact that owning a handgun where I live is illegal comes in a far second, if they made it legal tomorrow, I would not care, as most anyone who wants one can obtain one illegally, and I still would not buy one). If I were an outdoors sort who enjoyed hunting and camping etc., then I'd probably get one to protect myself against wild animals, etc., but I'm not, and in my lifetime of living in the Chicago area (city and burbs), I've never felt the need for one.

Guns are an expensive hobby that I have no interest in, and I'd really rather spend my money elsewhere, and that is what it comes down to most for me.
Well said. You have summed it up nicely. Its about choice. Like you I don't fear for my safety. Never have. I own guns because I love to target shoot. I compete against myself and try to do better every time. I also have a CCW. Not because I carry every where I go. It just makes it less of a hassle to transport from my house to the range.
Its all about choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2009, 05:07 AM

27,200 posts, read 46,773,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
That's all he does is argue, Check the concealed handgun thread in great debates.
You seem to do it also.

Unless you think there's something wrong with stating your experience or beliefs on a matter, I think we all have a right to do so. Unless, of course, it offends YOU for others to do so (but if they actually agree with you, then that's just fine).

Old 11-25-2009, 06:28 AM

313 posts, read 407,670 times
I carry legally but only for work, I get one hour before my shift to carry, and one hour after.

Old 11-25-2009, 08:46 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,524,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Your libertarian spirit is fascinating,but...we have to appeal & be accepted by huge non & anti gun crowds ,so we have to be realistic...
I am being realistic. Alaska does not have any restrictions on firearms. No CCL is required to carry a concealed weapon. Alaskans may carry any firearm, any where, any time.

As far as the "anti-gun crowd" is concerned, they are anti-American therefore irrelevant.

Old 11-25-2009, 09:35 AM

299 posts, read 430,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You seem to do it also.

Unless you think there's something wrong with stating your experience or beliefs on a matter, I think we all have a right to do so. Unless, of course, it offends YOU for others to do so (but if they actually agree with you, then that's just fine).
To be fair, I went and looked at a number of your posts relating to guns. And honestly, your posts seem to be boastful of your prowess - you don't seem to want to discuss or debate. You seem to want to dictate to others - that if you can be so good at defending yourself - everyone else can be too.

So, I have to disagree with your post (above) - you don't state so much your experiences - you are bragging how good you are.

IMO

Old 11-25-2009, 11:06 AM

2,573 posts, read 2,498,197 times
Yes,Alaska has gun freedom,but...who wants to live in Alaska ?

We cannot ignore the...98.5% of adults who don't carry...

I disagree on gun ownership being expensive...
On the contrary,the avg American with the avg salary can well have a collection of 2-3 handguns,1-2 shotguns,1-2 semi autos...worth no more than 5k...

Old 11-25-2009, 11:15 AM

299 posts, read 430,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymiafl View Post
Yes,Alaska has gun freedom,but...who wants to live in Alaska ?
ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!k :

Old 11-25-2009, 11:45 AM

2,573 posts, read 2,498,197 times
Alaska is fine for 6 months...those with daylight...

Old 11-26-2009, 01:47 AM

27,200 posts, read 46,773,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWonderWhy1 View Post
To be fair, I went and looked at a number of your posts relating to guns. And honestly, your posts seem to be boastful of your prowess - you don't seem to want to discuss or debate. You seem to want to dictate to others - that if you can be so good at defending yourself - everyone else can be too.

So, I have to disagree with your post (above) - you don't state so much your experiences - you are bragging how good you are.

IMO
Well, I've said that I've defended myself sufficiently without using a gun--and if I can do it, anybody else could do so also. That's not bragging, that's stating a fact.

Old 11-26-2009, 01:56 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,615,346 times
Don't carry. Am limited by finances because of wife's on going medical problems. If I did get one, it would have to be one that my wife could shoot without breaking her hand or arm. Her bones are very small. Her ring finger is 3 1/4. I could go with a bigger gun but a small well made 22 would probably be for us. Wish I could get the shotguns they used on the Navy ships. Not exactly sawed off, but small enough for close quarter attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies