Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2010, 12:23 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,191,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
They joined knowing the rules. It was THEIR choice.
You never broke a rule that you felt was unfair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 12:32 PM

22,286 posts, read 19,678,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Smash, what happens when a drill sergeant finds out that private Richard has been sneaking peeks at his new recruits in the shower?
Whatever he does is not going to have a happy ending for the gay private. If you thought that gays had it tough before, then just think how tough it will be when they want to be open about their sexuality.

I don't know who you have been hearing it from (my guess is the media)
but, the military has been very fair to gays. The "don't ask" part of the law was rarely a problem at all. That leaves us with the "don't tell" part, which is solely the responsibility of the gay soldier.
You seem to think that gays can't do their job without telling people that they are gay? If that is so hard then maybe they shouldn't be in the military in the first place.
Read post 351, read it over and over again. Then ask yourself if gays were treated fairly....

Old 12-23-2010, 12:36 PM

22,286 posts, read 19,678,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Of course he's going to say that. We all know that Obama loves the gay vote. But, Obama has never served in the military, so he's not really the expert witness is he. What does John McCain say? Now, you will probably say that McCain is old, white, and a republican, and that he lost the election. Those are all true... But, he served his country honorably. And, he has served in the Senate for 25 years. But, it's ok to discredit his opinion because he's an old white guy.
Did you say something about prejudice?
McCain has served his country honorably, but he has flipped flopped all over this thing. Not to mention two of the strongest backers of the DADT repeal in Congress have been an Iraq War veteran (Patrick Murphy) and former admiral (Joe Sesrak)

Old 12-23-2010, 12:37 PM

2,402 posts, read 5,269,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
I agree.

What's even more telling is that there are NO peer-reviewed studies performed in keeping with scientific protocols that even suggest (let alone prove) sexual orientation is a choice.
This argument about choice is absurd. What happened to my "unalienable rights" to pursue life, liberty and happiness as i see fit??? It is MY CHOICE to be gay. It is MY CHOICE to use pot. The real argument is why is the gov't meddling in my personal choices? I find it disgusting that people would choose to be Republican but I would fight for their right to do so. It's a very simple concept that finger wagging right wing moralists don't quite get: MIND YOUR OWN BUSINESS! That's why it's called MY choice not YOUR choice.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:40 PM

2,402 posts, read 5,269,460 times
Quote:
That's about as foolish as blacks joining a segregated military but for some reason they wanted to fight for their ungrateful and outright hostile country.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:02 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,093,091 times
Quote:
And the rule itself is wrong. Discriminatory. Should've never been there in the first place.

That's the whole point of this.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:06 PM

29,980 posts, read 43,191,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langlen View Post
And the rule itself is wrong. Discriminatory. Should've never been there in the first place.

That's the whole point of this.
Actually the point is to turn the greatest military force into a social experiment for the sake of politics and political correctness.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:13 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,093,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Actually the point is to turn the greatest military force into a social experiment for the sake of politics and political correctness.
Not really, no.

Also, greatest military force? That could be debated.

If this so called "greatest military force" can't handle something as simple as someone having different sexual preferences than then, then it sure as heck ain't the greatest.

Old 12-23-2010, 01:39 PM

25,231 posts, read 17,082,649 times
Quote:
Actually you are dead wrong. Gays have been in the Military from day one and since armies were first formed. Our society is made up of many diverse people and so is the military which is only an extension of our society. The only difference is they now cannot be fired simply because they are gay which they should never have had to fear.
Casper

Old 12-23-2010, 01:45 PM

17,290 posts, read 29,572,932 times
Quote:
What "social experiment"?

The experiment has been done. It's over. All other modern first world militaries have successfully integrated gay soldiers without incident.

Really, would it hurt some city-data posters to get a little perspective beyond their own backyard? (Heck, even if you stayed in your backyard you'd notice CANADA does just fine).

And btw, the British and Israelis (both of whom allow gay soldiers) are widely considered to be on par or even better to America's "greatest fighting force."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies