Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2010, 07:08 PM

20,947 posts, read 19,183,178 times

Advertisements

There never was a ban on homosexuals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 07:13 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,361,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
So will you now admit that Bill Clinton, who signed the bill into law, had a sad and pathetic (that's redundant btw) presidency? McCain served with distinction in the military, he at least has first hand knowledge of how homosexuals are viewed in the military.

BTW I was for repeal.
McCain served in the military ALMOST 40 YEARS AGO. His currrent views show just how out of step he is with the current generation of young people that make up the majority of our military. Even his own wife and daughter spoke out against his views.

This is a man who originally said "Let The Military Leadership decide" when the head of the Joints Chiefs of Staff comes out and says in my PROFESSIONAL opinion it was time to repeal DADT McClain backpedeled. Why? He's a self serving politician that was more interested in pandering the "God and Guns" portion of the Republican Party.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:18 PM

563 posts, read 521,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Nope - I know there have been multiple studies done. Lots is completely accurate. Prove me wrong if you disagree.
My 2 year old niece did a study, does that count?

Old 12-23-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
This disaster will be repealed in the next congress. It's over.
It would NEVER get threw the Senate or the House. It's OVER AND DONE WITH.

No poltician in his right mind push to reinstate DADT.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I didn't read all 288 posts that have preceded this one so don't know if this point was brought up but can someone enlighten me on a legal technicality?

When a law is repealed, and no new law is put into place, aren't we supposed to go back to what existed before the repealed law was enacted? That would take us back to no gays allowed in the military, wouldn't it?
Wrong. The repeal of DADT means that gay and lesbian can openly serve in the military without any fear of prosecution by the military justice system simply based on their sexuality.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Yes, I have served. I made the comment in response to your previous post. The majority of people on here do not understand that the military is different. You can't call in sick. You can't give 2 weeks notice. You train, live, & work with dozens of other guys for weeks, months, and sometimes years at a time.
There are places that are off limits to soldiers. The Uniformed code of military justice (UCMJ) is the law for military members.
Gays act like their civil rights have been taken away. But, ALL military members have to sacrifice.
You view of this situation is warped to say the least.

Most soldiers have stated they have no problem serving with gay or lesbian service members. There is simply no logical reason for DADT or ANY military regulation that specifically discriminates against gays or lesbians.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:53 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,869,890 times
I asked Tigerlily24: Aren't you an Athiest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
No.
So you are a monotheist?

Old 12-23-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
You might be right about DADT. BUT, as we just saw in the mid-term elections... there are consequences. Obama may have secured the gay votes, but that won't be enough in 2012. It is quite telling that they passed the repeal of DADT during a lame duck session just days before Christmas. Obama & Reid basically held congress hostage until they voted for it. Obama will not have that nice majority for the next 2 years. The conservative majority of voters will still be angry... it's not looking all that rosy for Obama.
Considering the Republicans made it quite clear that they would block ANY legislation until the Bush Tax cuts were extended for the wealthiest Americans it perfectly reasonable for Harry Reid to hold the Senate until they get all of the people's business done.

Actually after this lame duck sesssion Obama comes out the big winner.

The repeal of DADT

A bi-partisan agreement to extend the Bush Tax Cuts that most Americans approve of.

The passage of the START Treaty.

Passage of Health Care for 9/11 first responders.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:08 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,869,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
McCain served in the military ALMOST 40 YEARS AGO. His currrent views show just how out of step he is with the current generation of young people that make up the majority of our military. Even his own wife and daughter spoke out against his views.
Do you take anything Meghan McCain says seriously? Do you remember her remark about old people over 40? She went from a leaning liberal whiner to college savvy overnight. Hmmm, nothing curious about that transformation, is there?

Let just ignore the poll taken by platoon leaders, 70% of whom said repeal of DADT would be disruptive and counter productive. How about the over 60% of field polled servicemen who didn't like it? Only 29% would share open showers with homosexuals. Half a million troops (24%) would leave service early. Only 6% would recommend military service if repeal passes. Only 5% say repeal would help morale.

I wouldn't be surprised if at some point in the near future we'll be unable to defend our country let alone anyone else. Write it down on a calendar, DADT will either be repealed or the former will occur.

You are proof that if you say lies enough times (it's a victory for servicemen) then it becomes the truth.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
They joined knowing the rules. It was THEIR choice.
And now the American people and Congress has made a choice. These people can serve openly and without fear of persecution simply for being who they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies