Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 03:17 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,483,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
You're right - Obama could have repealed DADT unilaterally at any time. However, the only thing that would have done is once again have given the military the ability to ask and to actively seek out homosexuals for discharge. Homosexuals were banned (and still are for the next few months) from military service by a LAW - US Code Title 10, Chapter 37, Section 654. DADT was simply Clinton's way to circumvent a law he strongly disagreed with. Repealing DADT in no way would have affected the underlying law banning homosexuals from military service. Changing that law so that homosexuals can serve openly required an act of congress - Obama does not have the power to single-handedly get rid of laws he disagrees with.

Despite the title of the bill congress passed last week, it doesn't address Clinton's executive order (DADT). The bill in fact repeals the aforementioned law. Here is the text of the actual bill if you care to read it:

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-1...1hr2965enr.pdf
Please! Your confusing some of these people with facts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2010, 05:49 AM

16,427 posts, read 22,326,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Yeah because Cheney and Dubya served this countries military admirably.
Yes, I put Cheney in the same bag as Clinton. Bush was in uniform during the Vietnam war whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:49 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,104,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Yes, I put Cheney in the same bag as Clinton. Bush was in uniform during the Vietnam war whether you choose to acknowledge it or not.
He tried on the uniform, then told his Daddy that he didn't want to serve. Daddy Bush made a few phone calls and he didn't have to serve.

Old 12-26-2010, 10:06 PM

16,427 posts, read 22,326,246 times
He qualified as an F-106 interceptor pilot. You don't do that by "trying on" a uniform. He served.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:45 PM

8,288 posts, read 13,635,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
that is the big question. the gay rights crowd keeps saying that gays are already in, and serving honorably. That is probably true (although we don't know how many). BUT, there have been thousands of other gays who have not served honorably. The new law will cause major headaches for discipline and conduct. Gays now think they have the right to act gay. How do you tell gays that they are allowed to be "open", but still must maintain their military bearing? I'm sure there are military leaders working right now to draft some new wording that clearly states what is acceptable and what is not. I predict that gays who actually join will not like it.
Do you have proof of how many Gays did not serve honorably? Over 13,000 service members were discharged for simply being Gay that had nothing to do with their service in the military including many who were Arabic translators.

Also what is exactly acting "GAY"? Do you mean acting feminine or prancing around like in Gay Pride parades? I really would like to know what you mean by this since a lot of Gay men I know are very masculine. People don't go into the service to act "Gay" just like I'm sure most straight service members don't go to prove that they are "macho"!Ridiculous arguement!

Gays serve openly in other countries including Israel so why is it only the US that seems to have a problem with this issue? I can remember when we also had seperate units for those "colored" folk at one time! This is the same irrational fear people had about serving in a integrated military & if we are going to have the best military in the world you need attract people from all walks of life not just excludes the ones that makes you feel uncomfortable showering with them!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:20 AM

1 posts, read 531 times
How many Units in the Military have what is called Family Day? On Family day you bring your family, Spouse, kids. Soldiers and or Civilians who are not married bring their girlfriends. Well how do you explain to your kids why two men or two women are holding hands, arms around each other and kissing now and then. Or will this be a restriction on family days. I think as a faimly with kids that I would not attend any more Unit functions, cookouts, or activities. So how wrong am I.

Old NCO Retired

Old 03-25-2011, 09:26 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,929,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredArmy 93 View Post
How many Units in the Military have what is called Family Day? On Family day you bring your family, Spouse, kids. Soldiers and or Civilians who are not married bring their girlfriends. Well how do you explain to your kids why two men or two women are holding hands, arms around each other and kissing now and then. Or will this be a restriction on family days. I think as a faimly with kids that I would not attend any more Unit functions, cookouts, or activities. So how wrong am I.

Old NCO Retired
The horror that you may have to explain to your children why two people of the same gender are holding hands! I doubt your children will ask questions that are difficult to answer or awkward to answer. It's not going away so better to explain and educate with very simple explanations. Most likely your children will go "Oh...." and probably won't place much thought into it. You have the correct idea in that you don't have to attend if you feel uncomfortable. You also have the option to live in the dark ages with your thinking on homosexuality but there's always time to educate and change old perceptions. Good luck with what you choose to do.

Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,818,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1955 View Post
Would you know it – the ban on GLBTs is lifted after I retire. My last 10 years of service I had to hide who I was from my friends and coworkers.
Timing is the key to life.
I appreciate your service to this country.
Sorry for you not being able to express who you was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies