Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2016, 08:10 PM

144 posts, read 140,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFiction View Post
My girlfriend had Bangal in Oakland and wasn't impressed at all.
I agree with your GF. Bangal was decent/OK. Their website said there was a dinner buffet but there was not... only a lunch buffet I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 11:03 AM

26 posts, read 22,220 times
I have only been to Taj Mahal once many years back but they are popular with catering large parties so I end up eating their food more often than I intend to. I find their food too overwhelming with masalas and spices. Very Americanized in my opinion.

I do know opinions vary by region but the three I mentioned cover food from all regions in India. I have Indian friends from all regions and I can assure you that if any of them had to cater or order in Indian food for a party they would mostly go to Mintt, Tamarind or Café Delhi.
BTW, try the pastries at Tamarind or Mint. Very light, moist and not too sweet. They make fabulous birthday cakes too.
I have heard a lot about Sree's but my friend in food safety tells me they are often cited for violations, esp at the Murray location. They are not even allowed to cook there anymore.

Old 01-14-2016, 11:37 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocodusk View Post
I'm Indian and we prefer Mintt in Mt Lebanon, Café Delhi in Carnegie or Tamarind in Oakland. Would pretty much not step into the others.
Udipi in super authentic and we love it for vegetarian home-style fare.
I'm a big fan of Tamarind - definitely the best place in the city proper to get authentic South Indian food, which I'm more into these days than North Indian. I think the one in Scott Township is a bit better than the one in Oakland however.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:26 PM

26 posts, read 22,220 times
I agree, I actually meant Tamarind in GreenTree but ended up typing the wrong one!

Old 01-16-2016, 06:49 AM

189 posts, read 166,148 times
We had dinner at the Smallman Gallery last night. If you haven't heard about it, it's a chef incubator. They have a bar, seating (lots of communal tables) and 4 restaurant stations. We tried something from three: Toast- mussels, Provisions- bahn mi and beet salad, and Carota Cafe- gnocchi and bread/spread. Everything was excellent. The only reason why we did try Aubergine is we we too stuffed. They had cocktails from each chef, full bar, wine by glass or bottle and a large, local craft beer selection. All tabs were separate, you ordered and paid and they texted you to pick up.Great place!

Smallman Galley | Pittsburgh's chef incubator

Old 01-16-2016, 01:39 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times
Tried out the new B52 cafe this morning.

The food was mostly great. My breakfast plate (seitan kofta, scrambled tofu, and kale) was a bit bland once I ran out of harissa. But all the other food was excellent. I think the felafel is the best I've had in the city.

My mother and I got hot tea however, which was left to steep too long. My yerba mate was almost undrinkable, tasting like smoke and grass clippings. Service was very slow too.

That said, they have only been open for a week. Things seemed quite chaotic on the service end there, with at least a half dozen people working the front end even though there were only five tables and some random seats by the coffee bar. I'm sure they'll get a handle on things within the next month or two. But it seems like they're developing into a worthy addition to the local (very sparse) vegetarian food scene in Pittsburgh.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:29 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
I had an excellent meal at Trapuzzano in Shadyside, Saturday at lunch, a sandwich called Chicken Abruzzo. A perfectly cooked chicken breast with gorgonzola, mushrooms, spinach, and a balsamic reduction. I haven't had something this good for lunch, and so inexpensive ($10), in a long time. It's not that much more than Primanti, if you think about it.

Old 02-01-2016, 11:45 AM

423 posts, read 629,107 times
Noodle bar and Japanese-style crepes in Oakland:

Pennsylvasia: Noodle bar, Japanese-style crepes, bubble tea at Love Yogurt in Oakland.

Before the usual suspects invariably complain about "another Asian restaurant", this is something new for the area.

Old 02-01-2016, 12:34 PM

831 posts, read 878,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I'm a big fan of Tamarind - definitely the best place in the city proper to get authentic South Indian food, which I'm more into these days than North Indian. I think the one in Scott Township is a bit better than the one in Oakland however.
My favorite Indian place by far, is Zaiaka out in Plum.

I could eat their Chicken Curry every day of my life!

Zaiaka | Indian Restaurant

Old 02-01-2016, 05:42 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times
Went out Saturday night to Homestead for an alumni mixer and ate some pretty standard apps while there. We were still hungry, but not for a full meal. So on way home we went to hit up Atria's for soup and salad. The sherry crab bisque is always reliably good. But the salad... while it was perfectly fine for a house salad... it was on way too small a plate for the amount of food. Extremely difficult to eat without food getting all over the table on our your lap.

First world complaint and all, but I don't get who thought that small plate was a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh