Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 05:19 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,283,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Aren't all cocktails "hand crafted" by definition?

Can't believe you haven't kept up with the technology on this.

They are putting their cocktails in kegs at some upscale joints.

No hand crafting at all, just stick the glass under the spigot and pour.

Mixed Drinks on Tap: Faster Manhattans, Negronis and More - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 06:05 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,926,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Aren't all cocktails "hand crafted" by definition?

I had actually written just $10 drinks, but I didn't want to cause confusion with some people, who miss the days of their Seven and Seven only costing them $1.50.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:01 AM

373 posts, read 379,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFiction View Post
Heading to Alla Famiglia for Valentine's Day. Who's been? Any suggestions?
I got the veal chop (pizzaiolo style because I couldn't help myself), my girlfriend got the cowboy steak, and we split the meatball appetizer and the raspberry tiramisu dessert. The bread and oil (and other spreads) were very good. Our waiter warned us not to fill up and he was right. The pasta in vodka sauce that came out was also good. The entrees were the highlight, though I did find myself thinking I should have gotten my chop milanese rather than pizzaiolo. I'm not sure we tasted the dessert, we ate it so fast even with full bellies. The service was the most excellent I've ever received. I can get uncomfortable getting too much attention from staff but this was very relaxed and friendly and attentive. Valet parking is 'free' (tip the poor guy!) and easy. The setting inside the restaurant was not what I was expecting at all. It seemed like it used to be a house that was turned into a restaurant, with seating on three (small) floors. It was very nice and cozy. They were blasting Sinatra the whole time which was amusing on Valentine's Day, but it really was a little too loud surprisingly. That said, we were seated directly beneath the speakers in the room.

It wasn't as good as Altius but it was a little cheaper and neither of us are huge Italian fans. I do think we probably made the right decision cancelling our Tambellini reservation and heading here instead (based on reviews, photos, etc). We had a great evening. But whereas she was clamoring to return to Altius this year, I don't think we'll return here. I'd give it a 7/10 overall with no obvious downsides, it just didn't reach the heights(!) of Altius for a special occasion meal.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:41 AM

121 posts, read 111,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFiction View Post
I've been thrice. I like it a lot, though it's way more than I usually want to spend eating tacos. The tacos themselves aren't astronomically expensive but getting drinks and apps quickly adds up. It's pretty loud and crowded in there, especially downstairs. That said, upstairs, the booths are pretty uncomfortable to sit in. All that aside, I really enjoy the tacos. My favorites are al pastor, chorizo, and korean. The tako taco is a pleasant surprise, though it is way less food than most of the others on the menu but is most expensive. The baja (fish) tacos are huge and pretty good as well, but I haven't had a bad one from there yet (have only not tried the mushroom and duck because ew).

The most important thing to get there is the papa bravas app. One of the best things I've ever had, and certainly the best potato dish I've ever tasted. Personally I think you can skip the custom guac, but the chips and salsa are solid. Was not impressed by the wings.

Service has been pretty slow every time I've been there if that's something you care about.

Really, really enjoyed Tako. It was loud, as you mentioned... but the DJ was spinning some cool tracks.
Service was slow but that isn't something I am picky about. The seating was a bit cramped, similar to Meat and Potatoes and the like.

Apps- We started out with the papa bravas. I did not know potatoes could be soo damn good! I would return with the sole intention of ordering this app again and totally not sharing with anyone else.

Entrée- I had the Korean tacos, which I really enjoyed. They had a nice little kick to 'em. My girlfriend had the Baja tacos, which she also loved.

Dranks- I washed it all down with an Oaxaca old-fashioned (tequila based old fashioned). Perhaps my new cocktail of choice... going to spend this weekend trying to duplicate.

Old 02-17-2016, 05:31 PM

2,768 posts, read 1,589,652 times
Question.

I keep seeing on my Facebook and here on City-Data that french fries on salad is a Pittsburgh thing. But, although I left Pittsburgh for Asia 31 years ago, I did grow up in Pittsburgh and return several times each year. I've never seen french fries on a salad.

Where is this found, and when did it start?

Thanks!

Old 02-17-2016, 08:09 PM

Fulfilling my duty as the avid Brookline booster...

Brookline delivers with big tastes in a small-town setting | TribLIVE

I have to say the comment about the pull-in parking struck me as odd. There is an entire lane dedicated to backing out, and the angled parking provides a lot more spaces than parallel parking would.

Overall, the Blvd has pretty much everything you could need on a day to day basis, just lacks some more options for when you are looking for brunch or drink in an updated atmosphere. The Blvd is definitely not gentrifying (home prices are rising depending not the quality/location/size of the house) and is like an traditional Pittsburgh business district stuck in time....although that sometimes seems to be the 1970’s. I think part of the issue is the low rent being charged allows some businesses stay even though they aren’t really generating much income. Higher rents would cause some turn over in some of the better storefronts that would possibly allow some new businesses to open. Although I would hate to see it lose some of it’s mainstay businesses, it could def use an infusion of some more upscale or rather updated concepts in regards to bars and restaurants.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:39 AM

32,623 posts, read 77,748,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I have to say the comment about the pull-in parking struck me as odd. There is an entire lane dedicated to backing out, and the angled parking provides a lot more spaces than parallel parking would.
The problem is that, much like the bike lane along Liberty Avenue in Bloomfield, people don't know what to do with it and end up driving in it. The last time I was in Brookline I tried backing my Honda Fit out from beside a large SUV and was nearly struck by someone using the parking lane as a "bypass" to try to get around stopped traffic to turn down a nearby street. Of course they didn't get too far because of the curb bump-out at the intersection, which made the situation all the more stupid.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
The problem is that, much like the bike lane along Liberty Avenue in Bloomfield, people don't know what to do with it and end up driving in it. The last time I was in Brookline I tried backing my Honda Fit out from beside a large SUV and was nearly struck by someone using the parking lane as a "bypass" to try to get around stopped traffic to turn down a nearby street. Of course they didn't get too far because of the curb bump-out at the intersection, which made the situation all the more stupid.

That does happen, and I laugh when it does....because it's an instant lesson on why you shouldn't be a jaggoff, however I doubt the lesson sticks with those people anyway.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:16 AM

121 posts, read 111,220 times
Another taco and cocktail joint opening downtown on 940 Penn Ave:

Bakersfield ~ Tacos. Tequila. Whiskey.

Old 03-01-2016, 10:21 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,088,349 times
At at the new, all vegan eastern European restaurant Apteka this weekend. The pirogies were absolutely perfect. The stuffed cabbage was good, but a little on the lukewarm side. The appetizer we got (kanapki) was like some sort of Polish Brushetta. The one with sauerkraut and mint sauce was particularly nice. Overall they still need to perfect their menu a bit, but it was a great experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh