Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2015, 07:28 AM

14,357 posts, read 17,158,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Asia is a biggish place [Citation Needed] with a great variety of food. The restaurants in Squirrel Hill are not reflecting this full variety, of course. I would complain more but I really like dumplings and I mostly eat at the Squirrel Cage anyway.
Yes, but last I checked, Rose Tea Cafe was less than a block away, and mainly served Taiwanese food.

I do agree Pittsburgh needs more variety in terms of its Asian cuisine though. There are no Burmese, Afghani, Filipino, or Indonesian places for example. If you include the Near East in Asia, we don't really have that much besides Levantine and Turkish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 07:37 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,592,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yes, but last I checked, Rose Tea Cafe was less than a block away, and mainly served Taiwanese food.

I do agree Pittsburgh needs more variety in terms of its Asian cuisine though. There are no Burmese, Afghani, Filipino, or Indonesian places for example. If you include the Near East in Asia, we don't really have that much besides Levantine and Turkish.
I was just thinking about this. Didn't we get a bunch of Burmese refugees in Carrick a couple of years back?

Old 12-04-2015, 08:03 AM

14,357 posts, read 17,158,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I was just thinking about this. Didn't we get a bunch of Burmese refugees in Carrick a couple of years back?
Bhutanese. We do have Burmese refugees now in the City as well, but they're scattered all over.

There are Bhutanese restaurants now in Carrick, Brentwood, and Deutschtown, but I've never read any reviews of them.

Old 12-04-2015, 05:49 PM

5,652 posts, read 7,022,030 times
Quote:

Royal Myanmar in West View.

Kusuka in N. Huntington.

Nelia's Smokehouse in Ambridge.

But yeah, not in Squirrel Hill.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:48 PM

423 posts, read 631,438 times
Quote:

The owner of the new place is formerly of Rose Tea Cafe, a Taiwanese restaurant. He must think the location can support two Taiwanese restaurants a few spaces away from each other.

I get that there are a lot of Asian places in Squirrel Hill, but considering the cultural and culinary diversity of Asia, complaining about another "Asian" place is like complaining about too many "European" restaurants.

Besides, these Asian and Asian-American entrepreneurs have been very important to the area over the years, and they've been about the only people filling in empty store fronts. This Taiwanese place will go in a crappy laundromat that was empty and crumbling for years. Ramen Bar replaced a cold pasta place that closed after a few months. TOP Shabu Shabu replaced a pizza place. Fuku Tea replaced a jewelry store that was empty for over a year. Chickn Bubbly replaced an old nail salon that was empty for years. Pink Box replaced the old Chaya location that was empty for years. Chengdu Gourmet went into a Forward Ave. storefront that was empty for years. One Sushi Fuku replaced a Quiznos, another replaced a gourmet cupcake shop that was empty for years. The list goes on.

There is nothing at all stopping someone from opening any other sort of restaurant, so the hate "Asian" places get is perplexing.

Old 12-11-2015, 05:02 PM

3,112 posts, read 2,937,461 times
Everyone who loves tacos and hates xenophobia should stop by Las Palmas this weekend in Brookline. A rally is planned for noon on Saturday but the community is trying to get everyone out all weekend to support this great local small business.

If you hadn’t heard here is the link to the story....Community has back of Brookline grocery targeted by anti-immigrant vandal | TribLIVE

Old 12-15-2015, 10:22 AM

86 posts, read 96,971 times
It was packed all weekend from what I heard and saw on social media.

Old 12-16-2015, 01:47 PM

733 posts, read 991,368 times
PghYinzer, I didn't check this thread prior, but I totally went to Las Palmas on Saturday for that reason!

It was great. The people seemed pretty happy about the response and were doing good business that day. I think one dumb racist (or likely some kid) ended up causing a landslide of positivity and encouragement.

Edit: They have great tacos too. Really good.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:54 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,913,843 times
There's a new pizza place that doesn't suck that I tried this evening.
Benny Fierro's - 1906 Carson St. - South Side
New York Style
Overall a very good. I had pepperoni, wife had buffalo chicken & cheese. She didn't care for the buffalo chicken (which isn't a real pizza topping in my opinion anyways). I could have used the end of the crust to be a bit crisper.

Anyways, for a first day of being open I was pleasantly surprised & would place it as the only edible pizza in the south side along with Michael's Pizza Bar. Not the best pizza I've ever had by far, but better than most I've had in Pgh & will definitely put in my list to have again. I am partial to NY Style personally.

This is located in the former Scientology Reading Room building so may also increase your thetan levels.

Old 12-29-2015, 08:32 AM

121 posts, read 111,644 times
Finally ate at Gaucho last week.

I had the:

Bondiola: Roasted pork shoulder, spicy mustard, and caramelized onions

Perhaps it could never live up to the unrealistic expectations I had... but damn, very tasty for $10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh