Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2012, 05:36 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,813,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Thankfully none of the commenters to that insanity agreed with it. That really was pathetic on Zagat's part.
Zagat doesn't put any effort into Pittsburgh restaurant ratings. All restaurant except the chains are member added, and as only those six chains have official Zagat ratings, they are listed first on the website.

Zagat is useless to use in Pittsburgh, which is why I haven't even thought of it since I moved here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 06:37 PM

10,236 posts, read 16,895,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Zagat doesn't put any effort into Pittsburgh restaurant ratings. All restaurant except the chains are member added, and as only those six chains have official Zagat ratings, they are listed first on the website.

Zagat is useless to use in Pittsburgh, which is why I haven't even thought of it since I moved here.
Beer advocate is useful most placea but the pittsburgh beer drinking community is curiously quiet

Old 11-30-2012, 09:21 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,120,868 times
Some interesting notes here:

Little Bites: Local restaurant news - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Adding ramen to Station Street's menu is very welcome, and I will be interested to see if its "transition to Station Street Food, with an emphasis on the street-food genre" involves more additions in the future.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:32 PM

29,807 posts, read 34,651,322 times
The All-Clad factory sale is this weekend: Heads up for the All-Clad factory sale

Old 11-30-2012, 12:47 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,842,462 times
That Zagat Pittsburgh list really wasn't a list put out there by Zagat. The Pittsburgh Business Times compiled a list of Zagat-reviewed national chains that are located in Pittsburgh and misleadingly presented it in advance of the announcement yesterday that Zagat is coming to Pittsburgh soon to review our restaurant scene. Very amateurish move by the PBT that generated a lot of unnecessary negativity toward Zagat.

Zagat rankings coming to Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh Business Times

Quote:
Zagat rankings coming to Pittsburgh

In early 2013, local restaurants will get the chance to see how they stack up against the signature Zagat 30-point rating scale when the company releases its rankings for the top restaurants in the Pittsburgh region.

Nicholas Sampogna, spokesperson for Zagat, said the company is currently surveying about 500 restaurants in the city proper and in surrounding areas. And that's good news, said one local restaurateur.

Here's the website for Zagat Pittsburgh

http://www.zagat.com/survey/4072937

And here's an update from Diana Nelson Jones... who like many... prematurely blasted Zagat in the wake of the PBT "ranking"

Update on Zagat survey

Quote:
A member of Zagat's communications team e-mailed to clear up a misunderstanding. The Zagat Survey of Pittsburgh Restaurants that named only chains is the National Chain Restaurants Survey. He said Zagat is conducting its first-ever full survey of Pittsburgh restaurants

Old 11-30-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPittsburgh View Post
Did someone post about El Burro Comedor? I thought so, but I couldn't find it in my cursory glance through the last few pages.

There was some tacos/burritos discussion pages back. I checked out El Burro recently, and it was awesome. It's just a little take out place, so nothing fancy, but the food is authentic and the ingredients are quality and fresh. It was fairly busy too, so it looks like they are off to a good start.

If you're looking for a tasty taco/burrito, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
They need to stay open later... 7PM is ridiculous and reinforces negative stereotypes about the area (much like Crazy Mocha's 7PM closing time at that location). These burritos would make a great "late night" food and the place should be open 9PM minimum (possibly 11PM or so on weekends). This place would crush it at night.

I highly doubt when summer comes... and daylight lingers close to 9PM... that El Burro will be able to close at 7.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:57 PM

In other foodie news... my hero Anthony Bourdain returns to Pittsburgh in May.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 PM

733 posts, read 991,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
They need to stay open later... 7PM is ridiculous and reinforces negative stereotypes about the area (much like Crazy Mocha's 7PM closing time at that location). These burritos would make a great "late night" food and the place should be open 9PM minimum (possibly 11PM or so on weekends). This place would crush it at night.

I highly doubt when summer comes... and daylight lingers close to 9PM... that El Burro will be able to close at 7.
Funny you should say that, Evergrey. I had a friend staying at my house who arrived at around 7:30 pm and wanted to get some food. I immediately suggested El Burro since it's new, really good and right up the street. I googled it to confirm their hours and had to say never mind because they were already closed.

If only there was a more popular bar in the War Streets, El Burro would have huge crowds of would-be late night taco consumers.

Old 11-30-2012, 02:20 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,813,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
That Zagat Pittsburgh list really wasn't a list put out there by Zagat. The Pittsburgh Business Times compiled a list of Zagat-reviewed national chains that are located in Pittsburgh and misleadingly presented it in advance of the announcement yesterday that Zagat is coming to Pittsburgh soon to review our restaurant scene. Very amateurish move by the PBT that generated a lot of unnecessary negativity toward Zagat.
Thanks for clearing that up. I'm pleased that Zagat has now deemed Pittsburgh worthy of attention!

Old 11-30-2012, 04:17 PM

1,445 posts, read 1,979,350 times
I don't know, Zagat's Pittsburgh page still only has those six chains listed in their official Zagat reviews with others listed as "member reviews". Anyone looking at that page would think that those six restaurants were what they thought were the best in Pittsburgh. If they they haven't actually started rating places, then they shouldn't have put the page out on the internet. If anyone is acting amateurishly, it's Zagat, not the PBT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh