Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 12:39 PM

10,237 posts, read 16,904,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
Ah, Colangelo's? I haven't had their pizza, but everything they make looks pretty on point.
yes, can't say as I'd go way out of my way for it but it's pretty good. I go for la prima but that's a bonus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2012, 07:57 AM

606 posts, read 948,225 times
Went to Root 174 for a celebratory dinner on Friday night and it was tremendous. The bone marrow creme brulee may be the single best dish I've had anywhere. They're no longer BYOB as of recently, and we were impressed with the drinks too.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:51 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,723,467 times
i really like colangelo's, best beans & greens i've had in the strip. i don't make special trips for it either, but i went there a fair amount for takeout when i worked downtown. i wish they had a sit down area though.

oh and root 174 is great for sure, although i was super disappointed in the vegan cake i got there. i think it was supposed to be a brownie and it was just a totally standard wacky cake with a smear of pureed banana. the cake was fine, but not in the slightest bit fancy and certainly didn't feel like it was worth 7 bucks or however much it cost. i could have made something better (and prettier!) myself. it's great that they even have vegan entrees and desserts but it wouldn't have taken much to make it a million times better.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 AM

14,357 posts, read 17,158,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
oh and root 174 is great for sure, although i was super disappointed in the vegan cake i got there. i think it was supposed to be a brownie and it was just a totally standard wacky cake with a smear of pureed banana. the cake was fine, but not in the slightest bit fancy and certainly didn't feel like it was worth 7 bucks or however much it cost. i could have made something better (and prettier!) myself. it's great that they even have vegan entrees and desserts but it wouldn't have taken much to make it a million times better.
I've heard about Root 174 being vegan friendly, but when I look at the menus online, it always seems like no more than 1 or two menu items are clearly marked vegan - a lot less than you would expect with one vegan co-owner. Am I missing something?

Old 10-08-2012, 08:58 AM

606 posts, read 948,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I've heard about Root 174 being vegan friendly, but when I look at the menus online, it always seems like no more than 1 or two menu items are clearly marked vegan - a lot less than you would expect with one vegan co-owner. Am I missing something?
No, I don't think you're missing anything. I think they always make sure to keep a vegan item available in each course, and I suspect they could adapt a couple of the others (I'm celiac and they were very clear that they could adapt a few of the items that weren't gluten-free by default -- we got lettuce wraps instead of baguette for our appetizers, for example), but we had a very animal-heavy meal.

ETA: That said, the menu is pretty small to begin with.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:01 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,723,467 times
i think 1 or 2 items (i think they do always have a starter, entree and dessert that are vegan) that are vegan without alteration is actually pretty vegan friendly for a fine dining place with a small, frequently changing menu!

and a vegan dessert that isn't sorbet is kinda unheard of.

Old 10-13-2012, 05:24 PM

423 posts, read 631,438 times
Rose Tea Cafe signage up on S. Craig St. at old Mail Smart location.

Pennsylvasia: Rose Tea Cafe coming to Oakland.

It's been under construction for a few months, so like the Bagel Factory on Forbes-Craig that took about six months to open, it's taking a while to get up and running.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:30 PM

52 posts, read 227,486 times
My husband and I tried out Davio on Broadway Ave. in Beechview this past week for our anniversary dinner and were delighted. It's a lesser known Southern Italian restaurant on the trolley line. Dimly lit, romantic, small and BYOB. It was definitely a slow meal, in a good way. The courses were paced nicely and the food was delicious. You'll need a take home box - or a super appetite - as the portions are gigantic. Afterwards, they give you complimentary cookies and tea/coffee. Davio a little on the pricy side, but well worth every penny for the atmosphere alone. Does anyone else have experience with this hidden gem?

Old 10-14-2012, 06:31 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,634,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana_in_'sylvania View Post
My husband and I tried out Davio on Broadway Ave. in Beechview this past week for our anniversary dinner and were delighted. It's a lesser known Southern Italian restaurant on the trolley line. Dimly lit, romantic, small and BYOB. It was definitely a slow meal, in a good way. The courses were paced nicely and the food was delicious. You'll need a take home box - or a super appetite - as the portions are gigantic. Afterwards, they give you complimentary cookies and tea/coffee. Davio a little on the pricy side, but well worth every penny for the atmosphere alone. Does anyone else have experience with this hidden gem?
Great little place. Haven't been there in a while, I think it's been open for almost 20 years. It is accessable via the trolley line. A retired friend of mine goes there every 2 weeks, takes a couple bottles of wine, then staggers to the trolley to head back to Lebo.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:38 AM

932 posts, read 1,955,803 times
Can anyone comment on the quality of burgers at Denny's in Clearfield? I have some friends from Florida and they talk about it every time they are here. We haven't gotten out there yet, but is the food good enough that it'd be worthwhile for me to take them across the state for some gigantic cheeseburger?

I'd have to place the order before they get here, so I want some opinions before setting it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh