Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2014, 10:06 PM

5,652 posts, read 7,024,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Cic Cin - now that is a fine restaurant - ate there several times. Food in Auckland is not far off Sydney/San Fran standard.

Hard to appreciate the dining scene of a major city like Sydney in a week (did you try Billy Kwong? Tetsuya's? So many to try ..). A lifetime isn't enough. Sure it's same in San Fran. And maybe you were there when A$ was weak - prices not so rosy now for anything if you have US$.

And I agree entirely with what you say about the local dining scene.
Well you sound like you have an interesting life.

12 years ago. I don't remember everywhere we went, but we planned well ahead of time and there were some top restaurants on the list where one had to book well in advance so we did. I know we didn't do Kwong. But it wasn't just the exchange rate (which was favorable) - menu prices for glasses and bottles were still below US regardless. Menu prices for food were about equal to US.

Got to talk to one of the owners at Cin Cin because I just had to. Probably spent 20 minutes with the guy, who was a fountain of knowledge. He gave me a black logo polo as a parting gift. My favorite shirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 05:36 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,253,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Well you sound like you have an interesting life.

12 years ago. I don't remember everywhere we went, but we planned well ahead of time and there were some top restaurants on the list where one had to book well in advance so we did. I know we didn't do Kwong. But it wasn't just the exchange rate (which was favorable) - menu prices for glasses and bottles were still below US regardless. Menu prices for food were about equal to US.

Got to talk to one of the owners at Cin Cin because I just had to. Probably spent 20 minutes with the guy, who was a fountain of knowledge. He gave me a black logo polo as a parting gift. My favorite shirt.
Sydney was much more 'manageable' before the Olympics - it's become a mega-city since then, and one of most expensive in world. When we first came here in 2001 to work, the Aussie dollar was 50 US cents, it's now about 90 and was well over parity for several years. Prices would surprise you now, I bet. Food is still wonderful though.

I worked for the best part of a year in Auckland in late 90's, 'commuting' from Sydney. On IBM (in fact, Transarc!) expenses, I could eat in good restaurants. Cin Cin was my fave - had some extraordinary food there.

Think we are going to brave Polar Vortex 2.0 (part 1) and check out Plum or Butterjoint tonight. Will report

Old 01-28-2014, 08:23 AM

3,462 posts, read 4,666,460 times
While I occasionally went to the innovative trendy restaurants in SF, I regularly went to the many little ethnic places that have awesome and inexpensive food. Pittsburgh could use many more of these type of places I MO.

Old 01-28-2014, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
While I occasionally went to the innovative trendy restaurants in SF, I regularly went to the many little ethnic places that have awesome and inexpensive food. Pittsburgh could use many more of these type of places I MO.
we were the same in Sydney. Within .5 mile of our apartment we could choose from multiple Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, Turkish, Lebanese, Italian, French, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, Peruvian, and others I no doubt have forgotten.

It's fun to hit the fancy places, but small, authentic restaurants that servce excellent, inexpensive food are where we hang out most of the time. Luckily Sq Hill is a little microcosm of where we used to live, which is great, especially as several of the best are BYOB. Some 'top tucker' there, as they say in Australia ...

Old 01-28-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Hi, Jules. Have you been to Smiling Banana Leaf? I'm no Thai connoisseur, but I know I like it more than I did Nicky's. You might find it too sweet-sauced, though. I usually get pineapple curry, so I doubt I'm as discerning when it comes to sweet as you are.

Smiling Banana Leaf
I'm looking forward to trying Nicky's and Banana Leaf. I actually enjoy all the Thai's in Sq Hill, but think Jules is right, they are slightly 'toned down' to suit local tastes. Still very tasty though.

Thai cuisine is a lot more nuanced than most people realize - lots of regional variation and stark differences in styles. We were lucky to live near a restaurant in Sydney called 'Darley St Thai' in the 1990s, where we went many times befoere it got too expensive and required 8 weeks in advance reservations. The food there was exquisite and innovative. So much so that the chef moved to London and then Bangkok and opened restaurants that got rave reviews, Michelin stars and entries in best 50 restaurants in world (yep, I know - lists ....).

For those interested, check out David Thompson Thai Food

We're going to check out Plum tonight ... one bus ride is all we can manage in this weather.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:04 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,814,835 times
Anyone been to Teppanyaki on Bryant St? The place is easily overlooked, and after having passed it many times and thought to myself "I should try that sometime", I finally had sometime show up. It is a tiny Japanese restaurant and the first one I have ever gone to where sushi was not an option. I forget the names for the food, but I shared something that they colloquially called a "Japanese pancake" filled with seafood with my wife, which was enjoyable.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:16 AM

338 posts, read 449,218 times
I went to the Butterjoint after the Pitt game last night. Everything from the food to the service and atmosphere were fantastic. I had the fancy burger with lamb on top and perogies. Made the night better after the loss. I would recommend it to anyone.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:21 AM

5,652 posts, read 7,024,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
Again, I think it's an issue of market size/demand. There are spots in Chicago I hit up for Thai & Mexican with regional items you're not going to find here, although Reyna's and Cinco have changed that a little. In NYC/SF you can find places specializing in regional Indian or Chinese - while you order in take-out Chinese from a fairly standard menu, you don't "go out for Chinese". You go out for Cantonese, Szechuan, Hunan, Yunnan, etc. Here in Pgh, pretty much every Thai, Indian and Chinese place has the same menu (notably exceptions: Mintt, China Star). And for not having a great foodie rep, DC/Nova is rife with little ethnic places. You can find anything from any part of the world, though little of it is 3-star, but it's often very decent to good.

I see Smiling Banana Leaf and Nicky's all the time as recs here, but rarely Pusadee's Garden, which I love in the summer (eating in the garden).

Old 01-28-2014, 09:23 AM

338 posts, read 449,218 times
My hobby is going to good restaurants and in my opinion Pittsburgh has some really great ones. If I would have to make a top 5 in terms of overall not factoring in cost it would look something like this:

1. Butcher in the Rye
2. Cure
3. Casbah
4. Alla Familgia
5. Dish Osteria

and also love Sienna, Spoon, Nickys, Noddlehead in Shadyside and Legume.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:26 AM

9,426 posts, read 13,127,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIRefugee View Post
Anyone been to Teppanyaki on Bryant St? The place is easily overlooked, and after having passed it many times and thought to myself "I should try that sometime", I finally had sometime show up. It is a tiny Japanese restaurant and the first one I have ever gone to where sushi was not an option. I forget the names for the food, but I shared something that they colloquially called a "Japanese pancake" filled with seafood with my wife, which was enjoyable.
I just went a few weeks ago. The yakisoba was a little bland (though still good), but the okonomiyaki (Japanese pancake) was excellent. I enjoyed the bonito flakes that "danced" on top (I think the heat of the pancake might cause them to do that?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh