Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2013, 09:05 AM

606 posts, read 945,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Disappointed to hear this as I was considering taking my partner out for a nice dinner at Butterjoint to celebrate Thanksgiving together (after Thanksgiving). Oh well. I've been looking for an excuse to go back to Piccolo Forno in Lawrenceville or Lidia's in the Strip, so this might be it.
Seriously, try it for yourself. I'm biased (they're easily my favorite restaurant in town), but I can say pretty confidently that what they're doing is unique. Even among the contemporary American places like Toast, Salt, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 02:20 PM

29,756 posts, read 34,444,246 times
From today's PG, Pittsburgh dining, old and new: Tried and True: For returning Pittsburghers, some old and new dining destinations - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 12-12-2013, 02:31 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,808,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Disappointed to hear this as I was considering taking my partner out for a nice dinner at Butterjoint to celebrate Thanksgiving together (after Thanksgiving). Oh well. I've been looking for an excuse to go back to Piccolo Forno in Lawrenceville or Lidia's in the Strip, so this might be it.
I wouldn't recommend Butterjoint for dinner as they really only have burgers and pierogis, but it's a good hang-out spot otherwise. Perhaps go there and then to Livermore and compare.

Old 12-12-2013, 03:53 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,906,923 times
Casa Reyna, where I ate yesterday. Best Mexican in Pgh. It's so much better, a valid comparison to stuff I've eaten here before is not really possible.

Review: Casa Reyna offers authentic, compelling regional Mexican cuisine - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 12-12-2013, 04:00 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,245,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Casa Reyna, where I ate yesterday. Best Mexican in Pgh. It's so much better, a valid comparison to stuff I've eaten here before is not really possible.

Review: Casa Reyna offers authentic, compelling regional Mexican cuisine - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
thx for info - that sounds worthy of a sample ...

Old 12-12-2013, 05:27 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,995,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post

Chilaquiles!

Which means they should really open for breakfast.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:30 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,245,994 times
Question to the collective wisdom. We have a visitor in town next Saturday and she wants to try some good Asian food. We haven't been to Plum in East Liberty, but it looks pretty tasty and reviews are good. Anyone been? Is it worthy? It's on our 'to try' list so keen to go, but would like to make sure we feed my friend well Other suggestions also welcome - East End/downtown-ish areas - I'm sure there's places we don't know about still.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:12 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,906,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Question to the collective wisdom. We have a visitor in town next Saturday and she wants to try some good Asian food. We haven't been to Plum in East Liberty, but it looks pretty tasty and reviews are good. Anyone been? Is it worthy? It's on our 'to try' list so keen to go, but would like to make sure we feed my friend well Other suggestions also welcome - East End/downtown-ish areas - I'm sure there's places we don't know about still.
I have not eaten at Plum, but two friends liked it, though they didn't rave. No "Oh, you have to eat here."

I'm not the best person to take Asian recommendations from, but I know my favorites, and those are Chaya on Murray Avenue and Smiling Banana Leaf on Bryant Street. I have never had sushi at the Big Burrito's sushi restaurant, but I've heard many times it's the best in the city. You can also get sushi at Penn Ave. Fish Co., but only downtown is open for dinner.

In other news, I ate at Reyna's again last night for dinner (Very "Oh, you have to eat here"). I had stuffed anchos, which were delicious, but the chips and salsa were really the thing most worth mentioning. I don't think I've ever had corn chips that were so thin. And so perfectly salted. They'd been fried right before they were brought to table, and the two salsas (you pick from 5, I think) were just so good. The chips aren't free, but they're certainly worth whatever we paid. Very special IMO.

My friend (not the Coupon King) had enchiladas, and I think I'll try them next time. So, so, so, so good.

He had a margarita. I had dessert (house-made chocolate cinnamon ice cream). We spent $36 each, including.

Last edited by jay5835; 12-14-2013 at 11:21 AM..

Old 12-14-2013, 07:50 PM

14 posts, read 40,927 times
Goronator- What kind of Asian food? And when you mean 'good', does it have to be fancy or just tasty and 'authentic'? If the later I would say without a doubt, New How Lee in Squirrel Hill. Their Szechuan menu is awesome if you like hot, spicy food. The 'typical' Chinese on the rest of the menu is fine too. I would also second Smiling Banana Leaf for Thai. If you are looking for more upscale options, Soba, which is more pan-Asian/fusion, is also very good. And the lounge area is quite nice. Re: Plum, its fine, but it certainly doesn't come to mind when I think 'good' Asian food.

Old 12-14-2013, 08:23 PM

606 posts, read 945,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I have been to Plum several times.

Pros: They can handle lots of different dietary needs and hankerings, partly because their menu is huge and diverse. Lots of vegetarian options. It's a pretty and comfortable space. Service is generally good to excellent. Whenever I've had sushi the fish has been nice and fresh. Ample covered parking, which is especially nice in winter.

Cons: They're priced like a fine dining place, but the food isn't to a level that justifies the prices. I've never had anything really bad there, but I've never had anything I'd describe as outstanding there either. And if your friend is looking for something more authentic.....it's not, really. (Which makes sense; they have Chinese, Thai, Japanese, and Malaysian dishes on the menu.)

My usual haunts for Asian food are Orient Kitchen or Rose Tea for Chinese, Bangkok Balcony or Nicky's Thai Kitchen for Thai, and Chaya for Japanese/sushi. I am celiac, though, so I'm limited to places that can handle that well. Lots of Asian restaurants in the area, so I'm sure recommendations will abound...

ETA: Thirding Smiling Banana Leaf, though I'd personally put them a notch behind Nicky's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh