Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 06:12 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times

Advertisements

I was also going to recommend Wheel Deliver. The base delivery fee of $5.75 is a bit steep, but otherwise you just pay your food total, tax, and (hopefully) tip. A 3% discount is offered for paying with cash, although we appreciate advance notice if you plan to pay with a $100 bill. I've made deliveries in as little as 16 minutes after a customer has placed their order in ideal circumstances, but given where you live relative to the restaurants we deliver for I'd plan closer to 45-60 minutes. We deliver to most of the East End (except for certain pockets where our drivers have felt unsafe in the past like Homewood), Downtown, South Side/South Side Slopes, Mt. Washington, and the North Shore area. I'd personally like us to expand into the Central North Side, Allegheny West, and East Allegheny, and that's an option we've been exploring. We also push deeper into places like Wilkinsburg, Garfield, and The Hill as they gentrify.

Our new Fall/Winter dining guide will be available within the next few weeks. We're adding at least one new restaurant and are in talks with a second. If you want a hard-copy menu book just let me know via DM, and I can arrange to get you one today. Otherwise I've been waiting patiently to do some aggressive marketing with door-hanger coupons until the new books come out soon and will likely hit your building anyways since Stanton Heights and Morningside are two neighborhoods a bit distant from restaurants, yet we still don't have as many regular customers in that area as I'd like for us to have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 01:00 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,984,677 times
Commonplace cited as one of the top coffee roasters in US.

They're #10 on a list of 24, and ranked above some of the hottest microroasteries in the country. Good for them.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:42 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
Smoke BBQ Taqueria signs Lawrenceville lease - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 09-10-2013, 07:43 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,255,658 times

I really miss the Star Discount store that used to be in that space- it was a real taste of old time Lawrenceville.

Old 09-10-2013, 07:49 PM

510 posts, read 905,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Commonplace cited as one of the top coffee roasters in US.

They're #10 on a list of 24, and ranked above some of the hottest microroasteries in the country. Good for them.
I get coffee at their Squirrel Hill location sometimes, and I like it, but I don't get what they are going for with their café. There are no pastries or anything for sale (and one of their employees is an amazing baker who provides pastries for another coffee shop in town), and the atmosphere is so cold and sterile. It is what I imagine a coffee shop in East Berlin must have been like circa 1972.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:02 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,984,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveKendall View Post
I get coffee at their Squirrel Hill location sometimes, and I like it, but I don't get what they are going for with their café. There are no pastries or anything for sale (and one of their employees is an amazing baker who provides pastries for another coffee shop in town), and the atmosphere is so cold and sterile. It is what I imagine a coffee shop in East Berlin must have been like circa 1972.
I think I have a good feel of what they're going for in that space, but it's executed much better in the Garfield location (former Voluto), mostly because the SqH bar is not conducive to customer interaction due to all the equipment on the bar. In NY/LA/Chi there has been a trend over past 6 yrs for bars focused on quality coffee and not much else (not even wifi) catering to the 1-2% of the coffee drinking population who care about impeccable sourcing/roasting/brewing. The SqH space is too big for that. IMO, one of the things they should do is take out a bunch of small individual tables and put in one big community table.

Old 09-11-2013, 06:08 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,243,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I think I have a good feel of what they're going for in that space, but it's executed much better in the Garfield location (former Voluto), mostly because the SqH bar is not conducive to customer interaction due to all the equipment on the bar. In NY/LA/Chi there has been a trend over past 6 yrs for bars focused on quality coffee and not much else (not even wifi) catering to the 1-2% of the coffee drinking population who care about impeccable sourcing/roasting/brewing. The SqH space is too big for that. IMO, one of the things they should do is take out a bunch of small individual tables and put in one big community table.
Best coffee I've had so far in Pittsburgh was at Martys Market in the Strip. SqH locations are decent and I like them, but coffee can be better.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:35 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Best coffee I've had so far in Pittsburgh was at Martys Market in the Strip.
We're also fans of Marty's Market. I really like their stuffed French toast.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:02 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,603 times
Quiet Storm will be replaced with a second Szmidt's Old World Deli.

Closing of Quiet Storm in Garfield makes room for Szmidt's Old World Deli

It looks like the building will be sold by the Friendship Development Associates to Szmidt's owner Darren Smith, therefore the new Szmidt's will be owner-occupied. Apparently Quiet Storm was not in a financial position to buy the building themselves.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:12 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
That's good news, at least. One of my friends lived in Greenfield, and we'd get Szmidt's from time to time, but we'd have to eat it at his place because there was no place to sit in the deli.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh