Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 08:11 PM

423 posts, read 629,357 times

Advertisements

Not food, but Pitt's Dogg'n It is moving in on Murray Ave. in Squirrel Hill where My Little Outback used to be. There's one in Shadyside at Ellsworth and College Ave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 08:16 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
Classic hard roll. We used to get them all the time when I was a kid growing up in Kingston (Luzerne County). Great torn open and just buttered. Unbelievable texture & flavor, so good. Thin crusty, hard & flaky outside with a cottony soft inside. They make a crumby mess on your plate when you eat them the way that they flake. Every jewish bakery in the area made them. They were pretty much a standard bakery item.

They seem to be a real NYC & Northeast thing. The last time I had a sandwich on one (in Germantown, NY), was the first time I had one in about 20 years. Best damn sandwich rolls ever!
I was in CT this week and brought a couple home to make sandwiches for the weekend.

AND MY DOG ATE THEM!

That's grounds for euthenasia, dammit.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:41 AM

911 posts, read 2,600,692 times
beer nuts!! awesome food!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolitaryThrush View Post
Not food, but Pitt's Dogg'n It is moving in on Murray Ave. in Squirrel Hill where My Little Outback used to be. There's one in Shadyside at Ellsworth and College Ave.
Bought 2 6 packs there last night, Good selection, usual stoopid PA prices. A welcome SH addition though. Just need a decent funky, foody Bar Marco-style cocktail bar or two and SH would be almost perfect

Old 08-25-2013, 08:47 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
Bought 2 6 packs there last night, Good selection, usual stoopid PA prices. A welcome SH addition though. Just need a decent funky, foody Bar Marco-style cocktail bar or two and SH would be almost perfect
Agreed. Squirrel Hill just ratcheted up my "coolness" radar by a few nothces with this announcement. Didn't someone say Qdoba was moving into the My Little Outback space, though? I suppose that fell through?

Old 08-25-2013, 09:47 PM

423 posts, read 629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Agreed. Squirrel Hill just ratcheted up my "coolness" radar by a few nothces with this announcement. Didn't someone say Qdoba was moving into the My Little Outback space, though? I suppose that fell through?
That was me speculating on what might go there. The orange sign out front during construction listed the same ownership group that has the Qdoba franchises in Pittsburgh.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:48 PM

2,369 posts, read 2,914,210 times
sorry but no mexican place in the east can top anything southern or even california.

you all might think elsewise, but i rather get taco bell than spend $8 on a burrito that to me, is barely an upgrade than taco bell.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:40 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,990,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarqCider View Post
sorry but no mexican place in the east can top anything southern or even california.

you all might think elsewise, but i rather get taco bell than spend $8 on a burrito that to me, is barely an upgrade than taco bell.
Are you talking about 'east' as in "the US" or 'east' as in "East End" of Pittsburgh?

If it's the former, you're definitely wrong whether talking street food or business dining. I say that as a former resident of NY, CT, MA, NoVA and Mexico City.

And fwiw, I'd take Chicago over most of California for Mexican at any level of dining.

Btw, burritos are a Cali invention, not Mexican.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:33 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,409,851 times
Patisserie to open in Squirrel Hill: French patisserie Gaby et Jules will have a soft opening tomorrow - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Quote:
Located at 5837 Forbes Ave. in Squirrel Hill, Gaby et Jules Patisseries et Macarons will have a soft opening tomorrow and a grand opening later in the fall.

Old 08-29-2013, 12:37 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,828,358 times
Munch goes to Siam Restaurant - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh