Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2014, 04:34 PM

40,998 posts, read 18,460,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
I'd like to know too. Whenever I come home from a visit to the Bay Area, my flights always seem to arrive anytime from 11:30pm - 1:30am. And I usually fly Southwest so I've only had pretzels and peanuts for most of the day. In other words, I'm starving for something better than fast food. Plus I'm on Pacific time so my body clock thinks it's three hours earlier.

Now that I think about it, a list of good local late night dining options would be fantastic. For all I know, there may be such a list somewhere in this huge thread.
When I'm in the airport area I like Wings, Suds, and Spuds and they're open till midnight. Not a real dinner but great wings.

Last edited by erieguy; 12-20-2014 at 05:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 05:31 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,850,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

This might not meet the criteria for "not mediocre" but I know that the Sharp Edge in Crafton and the Mad Mex and Bocktown in Robinson are open later.
I have taken my brother to both of those places on previous airport pickups.

We'll wait til we get back inside city limits. Right now I'm leaning towards Meat & Potatoes Monday Nightcap. $5 menu and live DJ.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:39 PM

3,462 posts, read 4,673,621 times
I ate at the Sharp Edge in Crafton once. Food was terrible, great beer selection.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:04 AM

5,652 posts, read 7,037,163 times
Quote:
I ate at the Sharp Edge in Crafton once. Food was terrible, great beer selection.
You guys are asking for a lot, like this is NYC or Las Vegas. Late kitchen hours, on the route from the airport to the city and on top of that, delicious food? A lot of cities bigger than us don't even have that.

But if you're closer to midnight than 1:30am, there are some choices for good grub:
The 8 Best Places for Late-Night Food - The Best Blog - April 2014

I know Salt used to be where other cooks hung out after their shifts. Not sure that's still in play since Kevin left, but definitely worth asking.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:09 AM

86 posts, read 97,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Bummer. Nothing else remotely like it around here. Or many cities for that matter.

KK does have some major space restrictions - it is tight in there and in summer can be stifling. But the food was always interesting and wonderful. The bastilla was heaven. Haven't talked to Abdel in awhile. I hope he still has his teaching job to fall back on. His mom used to make the bread and pastries.
Huge bummer, our favorite spot for the last 1-2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Nicky's Thai:
"You are welcome to bring your own Alcohol*
*Northside location corkage fee is $5 per bottle.
*The Downtown location has a bar with a selection of wines, sakes, unique cocktails and beer, including the refreshing Singha Beer from Thailand. Corkage fee downtown is $10 per bottle, $2 per beer."
Thanks!

Old 12-22-2014, 10:37 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,850,981 times
I always wanted to try KousKous... but the one time I stopped by I was rebuffed due to lack of reservation (they had like 2 tables in that tiny space).

Old 12-24-2014, 04:33 AM

3,114 posts, read 2,945,605 times
Restaurant Scene: A diner's wish list for 2015 | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

She makes some really good points including of course my favorite...

Also, bring the restaurant boom to walkable neighborhoods like Brookline, Beechview, Sewickley and Garfield (once the first stretch of construction wraps this year).

As much as I love Lawrenceville, and I really do, a chef really isn’t pushing the envelope by opening a restaurant there. I know that the area is not completely gentrified yet, and there are stretches that need work, but the neighborhood as a concept has reached maximum mustache and fixed gear level. It’s becoming a caricature of itself. What’s next a tattoo/butcher shop with a mustache waxing station?

How about pushing the envelope by opening a quality restaurant in a “normal” neighborhood where you can’t get away with smoking your $6 whiskey and charging $12 but rather have to offer a quality product that reaches more than the people who pickle their own fronds. A successful restaurant in Brookline wouldn’t be a concept that is outdated in 2 years, but one like Square Cafe that becomes a neighborhood staple.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Restaurant Scene: A diner's wish list for 2015 | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

She makes some really good points including of course my favorite...

Also, bring the restaurant boom to walkable neighborhoods like Brookline, Beechview, Sewickley and Garfield (once the first stretch of construction wraps this year).

As much as I love Lawrenceville, and I really do, a chef really isn’t pushing the envelope by opening a restaurant there. I know that the area is not completely gentrified yet, and there are stretches that need work, but the neighborhood as a concept has reached maximum mustache and fixed gear level. It’s becoming a caricature of itself. What’s next a tattoo/butcher shop with a mustache waxing station?

How about pushing the envelope by opening a quality restaurant in a “normal” neighborhood where you can’t get away with smoking your $6 whiskey and charging $12 but rather have to offer a quality product that reaches more than the people who pickle their own fronds. A successful restaurant in Brookline wouldn’t be a concept that is outdated in 2 years, but one like Square Cafe that becomes a neighborhood staple.
I completely agree. Add Crafton to your list. I so want some better dining options over here. I have heard that Carnegie has some new interesting places. I plan to try them soon. My neighbor said that Kasai in Carnegie has excellent sushi and ok hibachi.

Judging from my circle, there are plenty of people who would patronize restaurants serving other than the pizza, hoagie, wings combo that seems to be the norm here.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:56 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,331,493 times
Quote:
The Sharp Edge actually isn't in Crafton at all. It is in the Pittsburgh neighborhood of Fairywood.

Old 12-25-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The Sharp Edge actually isn't in Crafton at all. It is in the Pittsburgh neighborhood of Fairywood.
Really? I had no idea. Now that I think of it I do seem to remember some kind of a sign nearby that says you're entering Crafton or something to that effect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh