Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2014, 09:43 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,071,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
I think almost all wheat beers are Lagers. there are tons of different types of Ales with different color/weights though you may want to try if you haven't. most are not bitter like IPAs. you may like some better than wheats.
Wheat beers are ales. The vast majority of beer varieties are ales (including porters and stouts). Lagers include pilsners (which is what most crappy U.S. macrobrews, like Budweiser, are), bocks, marzens, dortmunders, and dunkels. While the latter styles are common in Germany, they are rare in the U.S., even for microbreweries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2014, 07:26 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,832,507 times
Went to Vincent's Pizza Park in Forest Hills for the first time.

Ugh... terrible pizza experience. I guess the hype is that it's super-greasy, huge and they pile the toppings on in obnoxious quantities?

Admittedly, we probably made a mistake ordering "The Works" (I'm a toppings guy)... the mountains of green peppers and onions seemed to waterlog the super-thick doughy crust resulting in a weird goopy pizza experience.

Still better than Beto's though.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:13 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,027,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post

Ugh... terrible pizza experience. I guess the hype is that it's super-greasy, huge and they pile the toppings on in obnoxious quantities?

Admittedly, we probably made a mistake ordering "The Works" (I'm a toppings guy)... the mountains of green peppers and onions seemed to waterlog the super-thick doughy crust resulting in a weird goopy pizza experience.

There is a huge difference in a Works pizza and one with sausage and mushroom or something more simple. I haven't been in years because I don't think they make it as good as the old man, because he would cook it longer, so I sort of gave up. If you order sausage, they should cook it longer to cook the sausage enough. Anyway, as soon as you add peppers it is a watery pizza. Some folks like that, but I don't. Maybe give it one more try with sausage and pepperoni or sausage and mushroom? I might have to get back there someday, but I miss ol' Vincent. You knew he was going to cook the pizza til done and yep, I don't mind it a bit burnt.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:23 AM

4,179 posts, read 2,969,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
There is a huge difference in a Works pizza and one with sausage and mushroom or something more simple. I haven't been in years because I don't think they make it as good as the old man, because he would cook it longer, so I sort of gave up. If you order sausage, they should cook it longer to cook the sausage enough. Anyway, as soon as you add peppers it is a watery pizza. Some folks like that, but I don't. Maybe give it one more try with sausage and pepperoni or sausage and mushroom? I might have to get back there someday, but I miss ol' Vincent. You knew he was going to cook the pizza til done and yep, I don't mind it a bit burnt.
I agree H Curtis. The pepperoni and sausage cant be beat if cooked longer. I did not care for the chicken or green pepper mix. I also realized that you have to eat it on site. If you order it to go, the grease saturates the dough.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:25 AM

4,179 posts, read 2,969,124 times
Ventos has the best sausage though. I love the sicilian cut pizza with sausage and pepperoni mix.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:43 AM

Highbrow magazine profiles the Pittsburgh dining scene.

How Pittsburgh Became a Dining Destination | Highbrow Magazine

Quote:
Over the past five years, however, Pittsburgh has become a foodie playground. Countless articles have described chefs flocking to be part of the young urban feel in the cultural hub that is Pittsburgh. In December, Bon Appetit named Pittsburgh ‘the next big food town’ for 2014. Lawrenceville has its own restaurant directory. There are full-fledged sanctuaries devoted to burgers and hot dogs of all kinds. Food trucks have arrived. You can create your own beer at Copper Kettle Brewing Company five minutes from my house, and more craft breweries are popping up, like Helltown, All Saints and The Brew Gentlemen. A normal visit home in the past meant heading straight to the “O” for a couple classic dogs with spicy brown mustard (still the best) and a heap of extra-fried fries. But these days, new food endeavors make the menu for trips home a little more complicated.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:49 AM

octopus tacos... sounds interesting

EXCLUSIVE: Former Dozen space to transform into Sirena Taco Joint in Peters Township - Pittsburgh Business Times

Old 03-06-2014, 08:24 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,998,678 times
Quote:
I pass by that stretch a lot and never even knew there was Dozen there. While it is an interesting concept, especially for an exburb, I have to wonder about the intelligence of opening a 3,000 sf 97-seat taco place pretty much anywhere. You'd need an exceptionally strong bar business to make the economics work, unless your tacos are $8-$10 apiece (in which case you'll likely have other issues).

I guess we'll see.

Old 03-06-2014, 04:36 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,572,449 times
Quote:

It's an acquired taste, to be sure. I haven't been there since Vince died. Back in the 80's I lived in Forest Hills and was a regular there. He would make the pizza while smoking a cigarette, guess it added to the flavor.

Old 03-08-2014, 03:32 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,809,572 times
Default Oh Yeah!

Sign seen on the Oh Yeah! doorway (text is verbatim):

----
TEMPORARY CLOSING

Since 2010, Oh Yeah! has had a unique history of being crew owned and operated as designed by its original builder who left daily operations in 2011.

In 2012, Oh Yeah! became the first location for an experiment in giftcard currency development:whalebone intergalactic.

In 2013, this experiment expanded to Detroit, where the original builder has diversified into cannabis, goat and bee farming while building brick & mortar digital exchanges.

Due to unresolved issues of theft and neglect over the past 6 months, this location is closing temporarily.
----

This would be an excellent location for a recurring skit on "Pittsburghia".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh