Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2016, 10:40 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,695,705 times

Advertisements

New York Times article about how the food scene and the overall improvement of the area is being driven by the youth of Pittsburgh:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/16/di...?smid=pl-share
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2016, 11:42 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,260,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
New York Times article about how the food scene and the overall improvement of the area is being driven by the youth of Pittsburgh:

Good article.

Old 03-16-2016, 12:06 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,285,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post

the comments section is surprisingly civil...nice to see for a change...

Old 03-16-2016, 01:10 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,975,018 times
Interesting story in the NYT. I had never considered that the food scene would be one of the drivers of revitalization, but it makes sense. It's like trying to figure out which came first: the young people, then the food, or the food and then the young people? But I see it with my own eyes. The restaurants are popping up like weeds and the city is crawling with young people. It's a good thing to see.

Old 03-16-2016, 01:41 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,285,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Interesting story in the NYT. I had never considered that the food scene would be one of the drivers of revitalization, but it makes sense. It's like trying to figure out which came first: the young people, then the food, or the food and then the young people? But I see it with my own eyes. The restaurants are popping up like weeds and the city is crawling with young people. It's a good thing to see.
really doubtful the food is the cause...most likely the 100's of colleges surrounding the pittsburgh area

Old 03-16-2016, 01:59 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,975,018 times
The colleges have been here for a hundred years, and these new restaurants are not college kid hangouts. This is a whole new post-college crop of people in their 20s and 30s who have either stayed after college or moved here from somewhere else.

Old 03-16-2016, 04:37 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,260,127 times
And contrary to what some want to believe, they have $$$ to spend. Prices aren't going up and things aren't getting better without $$$.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:49 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,892,536 times
I ate at the new place that just opened in the old 'Yo Rita' space, 'Streets on Carson', and will say it was very good. Between four of us we tried about 8 dishes and all excellanr. The only one that could have been better was the poutine, though i haven't found any place here that I really love their poutine (station st dogs had a good one before they closed).

Definitely recommend checking out. Fairly inexpensive as well.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:20 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,997,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I ate at the new place that just opened in the old 'Yo Rita' space, 'Streets on Carson', and will say it was very good. Between four of us we tried about 8 dishes and all excellanr. The only one that could have been better was the poutine, though i haven't found any place here that I really love their poutine (station st dogs had a good one before they closed).

Definitely recommend checking out. Fairly inexpensive as well.
A restaurant that actually opened on schedule... that's news.

Good to hear, especially the "fairly inexpensive" part. I've been intrigued by the concept since it was announced. Menu looks interesting. How's the bar?

I think part of their deal is serving the service industry, so I'm guessing kitchen is open late - site says 2am, but don't know if that's just the bar.

Old 03-20-2016, 04:29 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,892,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
A restaurant that actually opened on schedule... that's news.

Good to hear, especially the "fairly inexpensive" part. I've been intrigued by the concept since it was announced. Menu looks interesting. How's the bar?

I think part of their deal is serving the service industry, so I'm guessing kitchen is open late - site says 2am, but don't know if that's just the bar.
Specifically I sampled:
Lobster crepes - excellent
Bone marrow - excellent
Poutine - ok
Roast pork rabe - very good
Tapioca - excellent
Cheese plate - passable

Can't say much about the bar. Only had a beer. Tap selection was fairly small but I think they mentioned expanding that in the future. They had some 'signature' cocktails that sounded good, but had other things I needed to get done today so the bar will have to be sampled another day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh