Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2017, 06:56 AM

110 posts, read 96,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Are there recs for very good and spicy Hungarian restaurants in Pittsburgh? I know there was a fairly large Hungarian population in Pittsburgh, and Hungarian cuisine within Hungary itself can get really spicy, but I'd like to know if there are actually spicy Hungarian restaurants in Pittsburgh.
There is a Hungarian restaurant on the Northside called Huszar. The outside is unsuspecting, but the reviews are all positive!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2017, 07:42 AM

29,758 posts, read 34,449,009 times
There's also Apteka, but it's a vegan Central European restaurant: About | Apteka

Old 08-10-2017, 07:55 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,566,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prnlvsxy View Post
It is indeed a delicate balance!

When my sister was a regional VP for Long John's one of the stats she reviewed was soft drink sales/syrup ratio. If they were out of whack it meant either the Coke was too sweet or flat or the manager was watering down the product for more sales. They were pretty strict about that.

I was a secret diner for her and would review the restaurant and send in my review. Her secy showed her one that I forgot to sign. My sister looked at it and saw the comment: Great Coke! Ah, that's my brother!

Old 08-10-2017, 11:53 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,061,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There's also Apteka, but it's a vegan Central European restaurant: About | Apteka
Apeka's food is mostly Polish influenced.

Old 08-10-2017, 11:57 AM

9,368 posts, read 13,032,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Apeka's food is mostly Polish influenced.
Absolutely, but it's still great--especially the cocktails. I'm more open to veg/an cooking than the typical omnivore because I had a lactose intolerant vegetarian roommate, but even my self-declared carnivore friends like that place.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:20 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,922,451 times
Not sure if this is the best place for this or not, but DeShantz continues this march across Pittsburgh with the former Marty's Market. Duckpin bowling anyone???

Behind a payway: https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...owling-in.html

This puts him on course for a new French bistro in Lawrenceville, the new gin/raw bar downtown, and I believe he is also the owner of the building where Salt had been located.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:47 PM

969 posts, read 773,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Not sure if this is the best place for this or not, but DeShantz continues this march across Pittsburgh with the former Marty's Market. Duckpin bowling anyone???

Behind a payway: https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...owling-in.html

This puts him on course for a new French bistro in Lawrenceville, the new gin/raw bar downtown, and I believe he is also the owner of the building where Salt had been located.
He is, and they just put some hideous windows on the exterior of that building. They look like double hung residential vinyl windows.

Old 08-22-2017, 12:55 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,922,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdv8 View Post
He is, and they just put some hideous windows on the exterior of that building. They look like double hung residential vinyl windows.

Last I heard he was perhaps going in the direction of a Scandinavian type place there...that was awhile back however. Perhaps ugly windows are a Nordic thing...

Old 08-22-2017, 01:29 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,285,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Last I heard he was perhaps going in the direction of a Scandinavian type place there...that was awhile back however. Perhaps ugly windows are a Nordic thing...
might be all they can afjord

Old 08-24-2017, 11:18 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,061,699 times
Not high cuisine by any means, but Franktuary permanently closed their Market Square location (which was barely two years old) on August 19th. I was a bit surprised, because it seemed fairly busy when I stopped in their for lunch, but considering the business model was probably based upon expectations of alcohol sales, if they didn't get the happy hour/dinner crowd they projected it might have been non-viable.

Honestly, the last time I went to Franktuary in Lawrenceville (which was our first time in there in a bit over a year) it seem weirdly empty considering it was a Saturday evening (albeit early). They were also advertising discounted lunch specials. Perhaps their whole business model is failing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh