Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 08:38 AM

716 posts, read 766,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Casta Rasta is basically gone too, although it was pretty far removed from the other businesses. I know they have a coffee shop and a pizza place and the like, but there's not really much reason any longer for those outside the neighborhood to travel there.
Except this: El Milagro
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 07:23 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,996,064 times
I guess Interpol still hasn't caught Bernardo. He was always an interesting conversation... you don't find too many slumlord/attempted kidnapper/classical musician types around. He's still one of my LinkedIn connections, lol.

I don't think Crested Duck's departure says anything about Beechview. IMO, it was a strange choice for Kevin to set up shop in the first place and it's not like CD has a big walkup business. They mostly produced for sale elsewhere and catered. I found CDs foods delicious, but not something I was willing to pay for regularly since it was pretty pricey for regular consumption.

I kinda like the idea of Beechview continuing to grow as our region's primary Mexican/Central American enclave. We don't have many true "ethnic" neighborhoods these days. A ton of residents work in service jobs downtown, the area has easy access to the T and it's a pretty safe area, great for "working poor" as SCR puts it. While not really "pretty" aesthetically, most of the homes are also not run-down. I'm hoping it doesn't gentrify.

Thanks for the mentions of El Milagro. I constantly forget about that place. Still need to get there.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:03 AM

338 posts, read 447,501 times
Meat and Potatoes, Tako, And Poutine Restaurant from Deshantz group will be concessions at Consol Energy Center.

Old 11-10-2015, 12:06 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,690,098 times
So I was just in Brookline today on my day off just to explore. I parked my car in one of the angled spaces along Brookline Boulevard, took advantage of the city's new pay-by-phone app for the meter, and strolled the Boulevard. I then hopped back in my car and drove around a bunch of side streets (don't like getting wet!) Brookline is looking GREAT! It's like Greenfield---with a much better business district and a much worse location for Oakland/East Liberty commuters.

Even in the rain there were people waiting for tacos at Las Palmas. PitaLand looked to be hoppin' too. Cannon Coffee looks nice, too.

I think Brookline is right on the cusp of attracting a "foodie" restaurant. Judging by driving through the residential areas and seeing mostly newer (and nicer) vehicles parked along the side streets it looks like a lot of middle-class people live here. What do others think?

Old 11-13-2015, 07:59 AM

385 posts, read 310,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I guess Interpol still hasn't caught Bernardo. He was always an interesting conversation... you don't find too many slumlord/attempted kidnapper/classical musician types around. He's still one of my LinkedIn connections, lol.

I don't think Crested Duck's departure says anything about Beechview. IMO, it was a strange choice for Kevin to set up shop in the first place and it's not like CD has a big walkup business. They mostly produced for sale elsewhere and catered. I found CDs foods delicious, but not something I was willing to pay for regularly since it was pretty pricey for regular consumption.

I kinda like the idea of Beechview continuing to grow as our region's primary Mexican/Central American enclave. We don't have many true "ethnic" neighborhoods these days. A ton of residents work in service jobs downtown, the area has easy access to the T and it's a pretty safe area, great for "working poor" as SCR puts it. While not really "pretty" aesthetically, most of the homes are also not run-down. I'm hoping it doesn't gentrify.

Thanks for the mentions of El Milagro. I constantly forget about that place. Still need to get there.
I live a five minute walk from where Crested Duck is. My wife and I chose to buy there because we both work and socialize downtown, and transit access was important to us. We've seen a lot of other younger people there since we've moved there, a lot of people I figure would have bought in Dormont four years ago or Mt Lebanon pre-2008 but have been priced out or want more value for their money.

Beechview is a far better place than it was ten years ago, and once those liens are cleared on Katz's old buildings (and hopefully the taxes are forgiven), some prime central real estate will open up. I'm excited for the future.

Old 11-23-2015, 07:47 AM

144 posts, read 141,134 times
My GF and I went to "Scratch" in Troy Hill this weekend. Overall definitely recommended and we'll be back to try different dishes. Drinks were reasonably priced and tasty food!

Old 12-03-2015, 09:14 PM

423 posts, read 629,698 times
Taiwanese restaurant to go into old dilapidated laundromat behind Starbucks in Squirrel Hill.

Pennsylvasia: New Taiwanese restaurant coming to old laundromat in Squirrel Hill.

Old 12-03-2015, 09:15 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,909,104 times
Oh, good. Another Asian place for Squirrel Hill.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:41 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,165,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Oh, good. Another Asian place for Squirrel Hill.
So true. I love Asian cuisine but would like to see some variety in Squirrel Hill. Oh well.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:17 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,608,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
So true. I love Asian cuisine but would like to see some variety in Squirrel Hill. Oh well.
Asia is a biggish place [Citation Needed] with a great variety of food. The restaurants in Squirrel Hill are not reflecting this full variety, of course. I would complain more but I really like dumplings and I mostly eat at the Squirrel Cage anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh