Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2021, 04:55 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,136,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
One, what Philly video? that video from Seattle was a 90-minute personal meditation by a fed-up staffer for KOMO-TV that aired on the station. The guy said he loved the city and was both sad and angry that it had come to this pass. He wasn't trying to "demonize" it as much as he was trying to sound an alarm to his fellow Seattleites.

Two, Kensington is multiethnic. And I think most of us know that (a) most opioid addicts are white (I've seen enough of them doing the "opioid lean" on public transit) (b) opioids are legal drugs. (Which, btw, is one of the reasons I think weed should be legal. It causes no more severe problems related to addiction than opioids, alcohol or tobacco do, and if we legalized it, we would remove a source of a good chunk of the violent crime that takes place. [It would help even further if we figured out a way to get the illegal distributors and salespeople into the legit distribution system once this happens, the way several states, like Washington, did with their rum-runners once Prohibition ended. California has this as a goal of its legalization regime.) Because they're legal, though, we can't lock up the addicts for using them the way we did marijuana users in the past. (Which was not all that hot an idea to begin with either.)

Three, rich and poor alike see the ads touting status symbols. What the poor often lack is any sort of understanding of the path that gets you to the point where you can afford them. However, the money that comes from dealing illegal drugs can often get you there.

Now, you were saying...?
+1 for the Bolded

He may have seen one of Charlibo313's many videos on K&A.
*PS, avoid the comment sections on his videos; it's a haven for racist.

Old 06-18-2021, 03:33 PM

1,465 posts, read 626,687 times
Can we admit there's a cultural/thug problem in this city?

https://6abc.com/3-dead-6-injured-in...illy/10803242/

... and I don't care about the 1970s and '80s.

Boys just wanting to have fun on their motorcycles ...

Old 06-18-2021, 04:27 PM

7,743 posts, read 5,548,702 times
In regards to specifically the "bike life" culture, my mind always goes to a letter written by Dion Waiters to his deceased brother after he was murdered in Gray's Ferry in 2016.

For My Brother
Quote:
When I think about him, I just think about having fun. He was just a funny person to be around, but the one thing he loved was riding dirt bikes. That’s the thing for these kids now. It’s like the new rap music, especially in Philly. These kids love bikes. It’s a culture that a lot of people don’t know about.
In the summer, when I was back in Philly, we would kick it every day. I was trying to show him another way. I kept telling him, “Stay off the bike. Don’t be riding it where you know you shouldn’t be.
We have this expression.
Stay out the way.
It just means: chill. Don’t put yourself in a bad situation. Stay out the way.
That’s the thing that I keep replaying in my head over and over. If I was home, I know it would’ve never happened. He wouldn’t have been on that bike on that block. He would’ve been with me. We would’ve been chillin’, eating some food, watching some TV at the crib. Staying out the way.

Nothing good comes from riding those bikes around.

Old 06-19-2021, 10:14 AM

9,413 posts, read 9,403,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Can we admit there's a cultural/thug problem in this city?

https://6abc.com/3-dead-6-injured-in...illy/10803242/

... and I don't care about the 1970s and '80s.

Boys just wanting to have fun on their motorcycles ...
Pretty much, according to the "woke" population. Just don't dare question the status quo or you will be dragged.

For example: I've mentioned before, I am in a Facebook group called "Philadelphia Urban Planning, Policy, and Design". It used to be a nice group, people posted news, development, social issues, shared thoughts back and forth. But since the pandemic it was taken over by a bunch of far left kooks who plaster their agendas daily. Rhetoric about anti-police, anti-development, anti-wealth, etc..

Recently one of them posted a column about how supporting criminalization of dirt bike on streets is racist, elitist, ignores the culture, etc.. Someone mentioned building a dirt bike park. I commented honestly asking "would these riders utilize this park or are they out to cause trouble and get attention?" BOY did I get it. I won't go into the comments, but you cannot reason with crazy, and it is scary aggressive, and out of touch these people are...ironic part...most are white.

(Group admins don't do anything to stop it. I am ready to cuss someone out and get banned from the group. At least I would go out with a bang, lol).

Anyways, yes, a major problem, and I do agree (for once) with the DA, the solution requires "imagination". But I am waiting to see how / if the city addresses this.

It is also scary that Philadelphia is closing the homicide gap with Chicago (by count and per capita)... Like what is going on anymore?

Last edited by cpomp; 06-19-2021 at 10:33 AM..

Old 06-20-2021, 03:23 AM

Crazy day in West Philly:

https://6abc.com/police-investigate-...illy/10810938/

Triple shootings ...

NE Philly:
https://6abc.com/police-33-year-old-...tion/10809434/

A not so long time ago this was rare in the NE ... It's now becoming common.
More taxpayers will leave the area ...

Old 06-21-2021, 04:52 AM

From one end of the city to the other:
https://6abc.com/3-dead-more-than-a-...shed/10812482/

Juneteenth, Father's Day ... Doesn't matter.

Old 06-21-2021, 03:48 PM

I saw on the news that groups of teens are grabbing at and groping women walking alone in Northern Liberties.

No physical description was allowed.

Old 06-21-2021, 04:00 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,771,004 times
Quote:
I saw on the news that groups of teens are grabbing at and groping women walking alone in Northern Liberties.

No physical description was allowed.

must be one of the others because 6ABC didnt cover it

Old 06-21-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
must be one of the others because 6ABC didnt cover it
I think it was 3.

Old 06-21-2021, 07:41 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,771,004 times
Quote:
I think it was 3.
story on 6abc now but its something that happened on May 8th. Thought it was something that happened over the weekend

https://6abc.com/several-women-grope...ties/10817554/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia