Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2021, 08:05 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times

Advertisements

Glad nothing came of this.

Letter Threatening Violence Against Cambodians In South Philadelphia Allegedly Written By 79-Year-Old Woman: Police

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...-philadelphia/

Old 07-10-2021, 12:37 AM

1,465 posts, read 621,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

A lot of us who hear white people talking about Blacks and crime don't hear them talking about aiding the forces of decency. They're there, even in my neighborhood. Instead, they emphasize the criminality. And that rubs us the wrong way. As Jenkins noted, most of the residents of these neighborhoods want the shooting to stop too, but they're wary of talking to the cops who can help them end it because the cops don't know how to talk to them.
Please, the black community is racist as h*** ... They're not going to embrace white people coming into their neighborhoods with ideas about how to curb black crime. And they're definitely not going to want to hear about keeping your criminals behind bars.
You'll let them clean up your graffiti and sweep your street once a year and take fans in the summer and coats in the winter, but you aren't going to let them decide how to treat your crime problem.
Did you ever consider that maybe it's black people who don't know how to talk to the police, not vice versa?

I know some cops ... The stories they tell me about how they get talked to when trying to do their jobs. There are two sides to every story.

It's been a big problem in the schools for decades - "Ain't no white ***** gonna discipline our children!" So, you have what you have now.

I remember years ago when an Asian woman from with a proven track record was trying to become superintendent of the Philadelphia public School system and the black community went nuts. They weren't about to let some Asian woman come in here and clean up their mess. It was out and out racist.

The black community needs to address and acknowledge their abundant racism. Being as whites and Asians get crushed for bringing it to light, it's up to the good people in your community who want real change.
And we all know the MSM, academia and the politicians won't touch it, no matter how obvious.

Time to go after your racists ... If the white community can do it, so can you.

BTW, the black crime and ghetto behavior that spills out of the black community rubs all other races the wrong way.

Note: I know I'm wasting my time ... You'll come back with a history lesson, a bunch of big words, some name-dropping and more excuses. As usual.

Last edited by Hedonism; 07-10-2021 at 12:48 AM..

Old 07-10-2021, 01:33 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
I know some cops ... The stories they tell me about how they get talked to when trying to do their jobs. There are two sides to every story.
This I can both believe and agree with.

I remember being in a car with a Black fellow, an intellectual type like me, whose politics are well to the left of my own. He was driving me home from an event we both attended when he got stopped by a cop for a traffic violation; he was quiet and polite when dealing with the officer. As we drove away, he explained that he had been taught that one needed to be polite when dealing with a police officer to avoid getting into trouble.

I knew that too, and I've been nothing but polite on the occasions when I've gotten stopped for a traffic violation. (All of these incidents ended with us being issued warnings and sent on our way.) And I've seen enough videos of people being indignant when getting stopped to know that a lot of us aren't getting that lesson.

I'd say the only difference between him and me is that when I learned that fact, it didn't come wrapped in the meta-narrative of "the cops are going to do you in if you're not careful" or something similar.

Is it a chip on our shoulder? You might say it is, and it might be, but many Blacks might also disagree with you because of that other meta-narrative which is bound to all that history I keep dropping on you and you tend to dismiss as irrelevant.

Quote:
I remember years ago when an Asian woman from with a proven track record was trying to become superintendent of the Philadelphia public School system and the black community went nuts. They weren't about to let some Asian woman come in here and clean up their mess. It was out and out racist.
I'm well aware that lots of Blacks have bad attitudes towards Asians, who they see as "taking over their turf." I do remember reading* about the culture clashes as Olney turned into a Koreatown in the 1980s.

The owners of the supermarket on the other side of Germantown from mine are Korean, though, and they look to me like they've made a good-faith effort to respond to the community's tastes in stocking the store. (They have lots of Chinese and Korean items, some of which I buy too, having acquired a taste for Korean cuisine, but they also have a good selection of Jamaican and Hispanic foods too. And they have the best beer and wine selection of any supermarket in this neighborhood (which may not be saying much, since the only other supermarket in the neighborhood that sells beer and wine is the one three blocks from me. Then again, Germantown's west side is more affluent and whiter than its east side). They also hire from the neighborhood, which I bet made a difference in how the neighborhood responded to the purchase of the former Germantown Pathmark.

I'll give you this: I don't subscribe to the notion that Blacks can't be racist, as that is based on a too-narrow understanding of both racism and interpersonal as well as intergroup dynamics. But I do make a distinction between individual and institutionalized racism. I know we're not talking about the latter variety here. And there is indeed such a thing as Black bigotry. And certainly, when it's a Black guy pointing a gun at your head and demanding money, all that academic stuff goes right out the window. But I'd still like to suggest that just because all this is true doesn't mean there's not a problem white folks need to address.

Blacks do have a cultural aversion in this country to airing dirty laundry in public because doing so often reinforces that other racism. I'm sure you will consider this another excuse, but it is a cultural fact, and just saying "get over it" isn't going to change things any. Now, as for changing the negative aspects of street culture....

*Most good writers also read a lot, and I've been bookish since I was a toddler — Mom told me I was reading at the age of 2. Of course I'm going to play to my own strengths; would you really expect otherwise? You're playing to yours.

Old 07-10-2021, 02:07 PM

724 posts, read 402,958 times
Quote:
Please, the black community is racist as h*** ... They're not going to embrace white people coming into their neighborhoods with ideas about how to curb black crime. And they're definitely not going to want to hear about keeping your criminals behind bars.
You'll let them clean up your graffiti and sweep your street once a year and take fans in the summer and coats in the winter, but you aren't going to let them decide how to treat your crime problem.
Did you ever consider that maybe it's black people who don't know how to talk to the police, not vice versa?

It's been a big problem in the schools for decades - "Ain't no white ***** gonna discipline our children!" So, you have what you have now.

The black community needs to address and acknowledge their abundant racism. Being as whites and Asians get crushed for bringing it to light, it's up to the good people in your community who want real change.
And we all know the MSM, academia and the politicians won't touch it, no matter how obvious.

Time to go after your racists ... If the white community can do it, so can you.

BTW, the black crime and ghetto behavior that spills out of the black community rubs all other races the wrong way.

Note: I know I'm wasting my time ... You'll come back with a history lesson, a bunch of big words, some name-dropping and more excuses. As usual.
You were right....j/k

Old 07-11-2021, 05:33 AM

I DO hear you, MSE, and I'm not dismissing your views and experiences.

I know a lot of us (the good people) are frustrated ...

Old 07-11-2021, 05:48 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
I DO hear you, MSE, and I'm not dismissing your views and experiences.

I know a lot of us (the good people) are frustrated ...
And I can understand your frustration.

We both have work to do, within our own communities as well as in the society at large.

Old 07-11-2021, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
And I can understand your frustration.

We both have work to do, within our own communities as well as in the society at large.
Progressives aren't making it easy. As a matter of fact, they're hurting society.

Old 07-15-2021, 05:10 AM

We already have more murders this year than in entire years last decade.

Don't tell me policies don't matter.

Old 07-16-2021, 04:40 AM

Mayfair:
https://6abc.com/philadelphia-shooti...enue/10890480/

I can picture exactly how this went down ... Can't have anything nice in this city.

Old 07-16-2021, 05:17 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,426,662 times
Quote:
Can't have anything nice in this city.
And when will people realize this? Some people have their head in the clouds thinking 'that doesn't happen here',but eventually it will just give it time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia