Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2021, 07:11 AM

9,383 posts, read 9,362,247 times

Advertisements

^

What are you even talking? I can rarely piece your posts into logical thoughts.

My previous argument was about the illegal dirt bike / ATV problem, in which many other posters agree it goes well beyond an annoyance. I did not have racial undertones in my post, nor did most others on here. So whatever you are going off about makes no sense to me.

Old 06-15-2021, 07:13 AM

1,803 posts, read 939,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
^

What are you even talking? I can rarely piece your posts into logical thoughts.

My previous argument was about the illegal dirt bike / ATV problem, in which many other posters agree it goes well beyond an annoyance. I did not have racial undertones in my post, nor did most others on here. So whatever you are going off about makes no sense to me.
pictures then work and videos. For some it is entertainment no kiddin.

Old 06-15-2021, 07:48 AM

9,383 posts, read 9,362,247 times
Getting ATVs and dirt bikes off Philly streets requires ‘imagination,’ not just enforcement, Krasner says

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20210614.html

Can everyone read the article? Thoughts?

Old 06-15-2021, 10:59 AM

463 posts, read 207,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Getting ATVs and dirt bikes off Philly streets requires ‘imagination,’ not just enforcement, Krasner says

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20210614.html

Can everyone read the article? Thoughts?
Mad Max comes to mind. I guess that's the future?

Some of what Krasner says is true, but there are no solutions that will really fix this. It stems from poor parenting, no real future, no work ethic, etc. A park isn't going to fix the problem. Parenting is first. Education and opportunity are part of it too.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Dave in PA?
Yes I am very much in PA. Though some act like Pennseltucky is another world from Philly.... in many things I do agree though. PA is not small and you'all can hit the Jersey Shore faster then where I live.
Shock videos can be used for SHOCK value and a REALITY check. After the Seattle ones seemed to insinuate that -- "Well at least we are not Seattle". It is clearly a yes we do have that in Philly. Just Seattle's infiltrates non-hood areas much much more and milder weather year-round who actually live on the streets much more. Not having real homes even in hoods for shelter.

Seattle still as a lot going for it as does Philly. So demonizing only one does not really work for a similar blame game. Time will tell how well either city can deal with this tragic of human illness by drugs and lost reality and other ones. Basically, just go back to posting crime stats. If no other videos to claim other cities are worst??? I need not post one again. Saw my fill of some already and I have no fetish for them or be near it.

This is a National problem where some cities have more visible towards their core and cause most our living literally on the streets. They appear even in good areas and yes that would be Seattle and Portland. Seattle may be sick with this scourge.... but it is not dying in it still has a awful lot for that city to boast about and yes for that city to fix. Philly also clearly has its open drugs shooting and homeless in they may just stay in abandoned rows etc. Pictures and Videos say 1000 words that clearly cannot be denied.

Just realize.... I would NEVER have posted such a video here or elsewhere IF I did not feel posting on to demonize Seattle did not open the door to show.... Wat 'bout Philly too. Well the video does scream about Philly too.

What surprised me most was all the White people shown in the video. I thought Kensington was very African-American today and of course.... the stereotype is that White boys are FAR LESS likely to be junkies on the street. Proved wrong in Kensington.

Also again, all the fancy cars parked on that street. Big $$$ shining cars with darkened windows parked by all the worst of society and driving by. Just atrocious and so many meanings seeing it and new videos regularly gain -- 10s of thousands of views on YouTube get posted every week.

Since NO ONE IS addressing the Philadelphia video.... I assume it is not as worthy as the Seattle one to demonize?

I think - cpomp wanted to debate something.... so carry on.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:57 AM

1,699 posts, read 976,136 times
Ahhh. The breezy literary stylings of Dave in PA.......

Old 06-16-2021, 03:11 AM

14,209 posts, read 9,113,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
Mad Max comes to mind. I guess that's the future?

Some of what Krasner says is true, but there are no solutions that will really fix this. It stems from poor parenting, no real future, no work ethic, etc. A park isn't going to fix the problem. Parenting is first. Education and opportunity are part of it too.
Amen, brother.

Unfortunately, we either aren't up for or don't have the mechanisms in place to do the kind of interventions that would break the cycle.

Old 06-16-2021, 03:23 AM

14,209 posts, read 9,113,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
Yes I am very much in PA. Though some act like Pennseltucky is another world from Philly.... in many things I do agree though. PA is not small and you'all can hit the Jersey Shore faster then where I live.
Shock videos can be used for SHOCK value and a REALITY check. After the Seattle ones seemed to insinuate that -- "Well at least we are not Seattle". It is clearly a yes we do have that in Philly. Just Seattle's infiltrates non-hood areas much much more and milder weather year-round who actually live on the streets much more. Not having real homes even in hoods for shelter.

Seattle still as a lot going for it as does Philly. So demonizing only one does not really work for a similar blame game. Time will tell how well either city can deal with this tragic of human illness by drugs and lost reality and other ones. Basically, just go back to posting crime stats. If no other videos to claim other cities are worst??? I need not post one again. Saw my fill of some already and I have no fetish for them or be near it.

This is a National problem where some cities have more visible towards their core and cause most our living literally on the streets. They appear even in good areas and yes that would be Seattle and Portland. Seattle may be sick with this scourge.... but it is not dying in it still has a awful lot for that city to boast about and yes for that city to fix. Philly also clearly has its open drugs shooting and homeless in they may just stay in abandoned rows etc. Pictures and Videos say 1000 words that clearly cannot be denied.

Just realize.... I would NEVER have posted such a video here or elsewhere IF I did not feel posting on to demonize Seattle did not open the door to show.... Wat 'bout Philly too. Well the video does scream about Philly too.

What surprised me most was all the White people shown in the video. I thought Kensington was very African-American today and of course.... the stereotype is that White boys are FAR LESS likely to be junkies on the street. Proved wrong in Kensington.

Also again, all the fancy cars parked on that street. Big $$$ shining cars with darkened windows parked by all the worst of society and driving by. Just atrocious and so many meanings seeing it and new videos regularly gain -- 10s of thousands of views on YouTube get posted every week.

Since NO ONE IS addressing the Philadelphia video.... I assume it is not as worthy as the Seattle one to demonize?

I think - cpomp wanted to debate something.... so carry on.
One, what Philly video? that video from Seattle was a 90-minute personal meditation by a fed-up staffer for KOMO-TV that aired on the station. The guy said he loved the city and was both sad and angry that it had come to this pass. He wasn't trying to "demonize" it as much as he was trying to sound an alarm to his fellow Seattleites.

Two, Kensington is multiethnic. And I think most of us know that (a) most opioid addicts are white (I've seen enough of them doing the "opioid lean" on public transit) (b) opioids are legal drugs. (Which, btw, is one of the reasons I think weed should be legal. It causes no more severe problems related to addiction than opioids, alcohol or tobacco do, and if we legalized it, we would remove a source of a good chunk of the violent crime that takes place. [It would help even further if we figured out a way to get the illegal distributors and salespeople into the legit distribution system once this happens, the way several states, like Washington, did with their rum-runners once Prohibition ended. California has this as a goal of its legalization regime.) Because they're legal, though, we can't lock up the addicts for using them the way we did marijuana users in the past. (Which was not all that hot an idea to begin with either.)

Three, rich and poor alike see the ads touting status symbols. What the poor often lack is any sort of understanding of the path that gets you to the point where you can afford them. However, the money that comes from dealing illegal drugs can often get you there.

Now, you were saying...?

Old 06-16-2021, 08:59 AM

463 posts, read 207,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Amen, brother.

Unfortunately, we either aren't up for or don't have the mechanisms in place to do the kind of interventions that would break the cycle.
Arguably, you could start a revolution if society were smart enough to start with what you stated above. It has the potential to generate the large change to crime, drugs, improvements to community, and better schools than any other strategy. You could call it "The Rebirth of Parenting", and all levels of government and schools could put together a program that would clear out impediments to better parenting and work directly with communities to focus on this problem exclusively.

I know it won't happen because it's not a quick enough fix, but over the course of a couple of generations, you'd probably have a better populace.

Old 06-16-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
One, what Philly video? that video from Seattle was a 90-minute personal meditation by a fed-up staffer for KOMO-TV that aired on the station. The guy said he loved the city and was both sad and angry that it had come to this pass. He wasn't trying to "demonize" it as much as he was trying to sound an alarm to his fellow Seattleites.

Two, Kensington is multiethnic. And I think most of us know that (a) most opioid addicts are white (I've seen enough of them doing the "opioid lean" on public transit) (b) opioids are legal drugs. (Which, btw, is one of the reasons I think weed should be legal. It causes no more severe problems related to addiction than opioids, alcohol or tobacco do, and if we legalized it, we would remove a source of a good chunk of the violent crime that takes place. [It would help even further if we figured out a way to get the illegal distributors and salespeople into the legit distribution system once this happens, the way several states, like Washington, did with their rum-runners once Prohibition ended. California has this as a goal of its legalization regime.) Because they're legal, though, we can't lock up the addicts for using them the way we did marijuana users in the past. (Which was not all that hot an idea to begin with either.)

Three, rich and poor alike see the ads touting status symbols. What the poor often lack is any sort of understanding of the path that gets you to the point where you can afford them. However, the money that comes from dealing illegal drugs can often get you there.

Now, you were saying...?
I totally agree if not at home... schools need to teach how to balance a checking account and manage bills. Just many of these drug ill people were even from respectable homes, families of any color. Some had little chance from the get-go sadly.

Oh I read all about how large the full Kensington neighborhood is... including Fishtown and Ole Richman too. Though who sees them as Kensington today? Like different worlds and a right to be seen basically as if their own neighborhoods not? So there is two Kensingtons.

Even before I got this link you probably saw from 2018 from the Philadelphia Inquirer. The history of the most notorious parts goes waaaay back for a history for drugs. Maybe the Inquirer limits free views. I see it.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news...-20180123.html

As all of is opinion by sometimes our own experiences and what we see. I saw trying to say another city is the red-headed step-child that gets neglected and labeled IS DYING as the city going to pot and one can say - At least we are not Baltimore and Seattle and does not fix a thing for either city and Philadelphia's issue lightened.

As for ads and our MATERIAL WORLD of Consumerism.... rich easily getting the newest electronic device and latest smart-phone..... has poorest folk envy and focus on $200 sneakers, purses and these devices and gotta have them to be somebody.... nothing new here. Heck, the 80s was suppose to be that era .... Oh yeah.... Madonna and song - Living in a Material World back then. LOL. Then they shopped in used clothing stores and mixed and matched things..... now you need to REAL DEAL. The NAME-BRANDS with it showing.....

Still NO EXCUSE for CRIME and LOOTINGS. A reason they target mostly the high-end and specialty shops. Though heck... a drug store will due too.

Seattle's to SF is unique with a lack of affordable housing and cheap ghettos for them to congregate in. The street tents of Seattle, Portland and even SF to LA are the scourge mainly cause they blemish the NICE and RESPECTABLE Pricey Prime areas. This is especially true for Seattle. DOES THAT MAKE IT WORSE? Not hid in hoods where it belongs?

Philadelphia and others cities are blessed with not so pretty areas that are still a bit under-the-weather of cheaper and even abandoned housing for these people to survive and live probably shortened lives. Shacking up in one home like tenements of old can happen. Harder in Seattle probably of today and with mild winters.... tents work better. Just knowing the city will let them does not help.

As for RACE CARD. Yes as a White boy in Pennsyltucky.... to. I knew from reading up a year ago how even Fishtown and other gentrified areas are also part of a bigger Kensignton. So Two opposing sides that are sort of on opposite sides of rich and poor. So for me saying Kensington and seeing so many White junkies in that particular area for me was not the stereotype I expected and I BELIEVE MANY viewing that video do not expect most seem to be White. Clearly I know White boys clearly can be prone to being Junkies.... You know the stereotype of Pensyltucky too. Just Druggie, drunk, redneck/hillbilly types that love their jeeps, pick-ups, dirt-bikes and 4-wheelers and yee hawing though town and the mountains. Then Philly proves that stereotype knows no Color either of yee hawing on bikes and whatever though streets making noise.

To have lived in another city known for hoods and crime. It was highly segregated. I lived on the Northwest side decades ago and you never saw a minority unless you went to other areas or downtown. Still more that way then not. Plenty of Hispanic growth today. My stereotype and from living is most Hoods that are truly can be 90+% African-American. I never saw a espose' hood video on YouTube showing White-boy junkies on the streets in that city's hoods of high minority populations. Not that some back-alley or worst hood especially at night does not have them..... just daytime and so open was a surprise for this Old boy in a major city.

Anyway, solutions are not at hand and the scourge of what is homeless on streets and living in tents or on streets visibly shooting-up and wasted and living in poor more hood housing. It is a National issue with a growing Under-Class and that under-class no know one race alone. Plenty of both in more rural regions too.

We use to institutional all these types of people who had mental issues and prone to abuse of drugs. Locking them up over years, doing electric shock and lobotomies and even in for life. Now they MUST SEEK HELP on their own, They get put on MEDS and eventually set free. If they follow rules they can get aid and not break rules that give them then assistance to live like welfare and food-stamp cards.

How many of these people on the streets whether in Seattle or Philly are in these programs is likely few. Fell though cracks and clearly mentally ill ... failed to meet the rules for most aid as there are rules for these programs. You just break parole and you get no more aid for life in $$$.

Debating legalizing marijuana has nothing really to do with these kinds of junkies either ... I think we know they are not shooting up with marijuana. I do not do marijuana ...always said when legal I will. Know now many even my age who do marijuana as it knows no Conservative or Liberal or age boundaries either. I never got the medical stuff. I know plenty respectable older folk like me .... people who went for it and take their electronic-cig thingies and use it for maryjane. I do not know how they get medical weed in a form to smoke? I just know it has NO ODOR like regular weed.

I can go to my local bar and even club. Someone will have one of them electronic ones and a couple years ago they were the fake tobacccie ones.... now they are the other kind. Bars do not stop it. Just do not use the regular stuff and smoke up the restroom with the stench that goes though the bar. Then you are in trouble. That you go outside for that and come back.... they do that too.

Again, I would NEVER have posted the Kensington video here if the Seattle ones were not highlighted as if THEY ARE FAR WORSE. Well more visible in good areas yes. Guess Philly hides it better unless you go to a hood like in the video.

I need NOT be pulled into this debate of better Philly bad Seattle or localized crime and issues I am far removed from. I just know it is a National issue and blame games do not work. Political demonizing fixes nothing and basically where all is blame the city and one Party. Truth to it .... just still hard to see one side has the answers either. Wish they did and prove it.

Most can go on posting the next crime occurring in Philly, or gang of street-thugs and bikers roaring though downtown. If I visit Philly I will no doubt enjoy its offerings again as I did in the past. I will not be heading to areas I rather not see. Saw enough by mistake in the past. I avoided it all living in another city. I do not need to see it visiting another.

Sorry no pictures or videos to replace my dubious writing. Just carry on ... and I will scurry away to my Pennsyltucky home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia