Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2022, 10:21 PM

14,214 posts, read 9,113,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post

How many police unions supported the 2020 Biden-Harris ticket? -0-

I am familiar with the stats over in Camden and thought maybe I/we have discussed this...if not, from what I recall, basically Camden's police department was completely replaced by County control and hired new officers...and a policy of officer on the street/community engagement etc was implemented. Nothing new really but effective in Camden. This is or should be standard policy. Camden and Philly are apples to oranges though.
1) IMO, some of the police unions (like the teachers unions when it comes to education) are part of the problem, not the solution, and I'm reminded of that locally every time John McNesby opens his mouth. There are Philly cops who get the importance of good community relations, but McNesby ain't one of them.

2) "Apples to oranges" in terms of scale, yes, but in terms of the effectiveness/importance of community engagement, no.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:22 AM

9,384 posts, read 9,362,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Everything starts at home like you said.

Earlier today a 19 year old was shot and killed on a Septa platform over gang beef.

Both the suspect and victim should've been at college, trade school, or work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Earlier today being 12:25pm at the City Hall Station/15th/Market...19 year old shot multiple times, in critical condition.
These crimes (becoming more common) are what will cause people to leave. 1230pm at a busy concourse in the heart of CC and people are running for their lives because 2 morons with guns decided to shoot each other...

Old 07-15-2022, 09:01 AM

1,699 posts, read 976,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
These crimes (becoming more common) are what will cause people to leave. 1230pm at a busy concourse in the heart of CC and people are running for their lives because 2 morons with guns decided to shoot each other...
At least one of these animals is off the street now. I'd love it they could catch someone who shoots someone on a concourse under City Hall.

Last edited by Redddog; 07-15-2022 at 09:13 AM..

Old 07-15-2022, 09:38 AM

463 posts, read 207,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
People are already leaving. And people in the suburbs, whether they are Republican or democrat, are fearful of the city already. I hear it from everybody. Even people who surprise me. I manage a fairly large team at work, and nobody has to be on site in order to do their job, so I don't require it. Almost nobody team-wide feels comfortable coming into the office at this point. Even for social events, we get very few people because they are fearful of traveling into the office. One of my manager's employees was accosted in the middle of the day in Suburban Station by a homeless man. She will not come into the office at all anymore. And I don't blame her.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:50 AM

386 posts, read 267,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
People are already leaving. And people in the suburbs, whether they are Republican or democrat, are fearful of the city already. I hear it from everybody. Even people who surprise me. I manage a fairly large team at work, and nobody has to be on site in order to do their job, so I don't require it. Almost nobody team-wide feels comfortable coming into the office at this point. Even for social events, we get very few people because they are fearful of traveling into the office. One of my manager's employees was accosted in the middle of the day in Suburban Station by a homeless man. She will not come into the office at all anymore. And I don't blame her.
Yep, I hear the complaints at work all the time too. Not to the extent that they won’t come to the office but people are scared. Part of it is I think people are more sensitive to it now because it’s seeped into the narrative so they’re looking out for problems but it’s a real issue and our city leadership seems fine with getting rid of all these hard-earned gains.

Old 07-15-2022, 09:52 AM

1,699 posts, read 976,136 times
It seems like there are more innocents experiencing violence at the moment which is what directly impacts people's feelings of being safe or not.

Even compared to the summer of George Floyd/Covid lockdown violence surge, it seems like things are even less safe. The kids in this town are totally unpredictable, have hair triggers and a total lack of respect for human life. That's the difference.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:06 AM

7,273 posts, read 10,615,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
It seems like there are more innocents experiencing violence at the moment which is what directly impacts people's feelings of being safe or not.

Even compared to the summer of George Floyd/Covid lockdown violence surge, it seems like things are even less safe. The kids in this town are totally unpredictable, have hair triggers and a total lack of respect for human life. That's the difference.
Which is why the #1 focus must be de-weaponizing minors. Full stop. And that only happens with proper policies and policing that clearly isn't going on to the extent that it should for a multitude of reasons.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:09 AM

1,026 posts, read 449,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldblooded36 View Post
You put way too much into 'left' and 'right', 'liberal' and 'conservatove' for the local level. When that south st shooting happened there was 5 guns in 5 different hands, because we live in a country where the only industry left is weapons production. Nationally the Republicans are going to sink the cities, there's going to be 2 career opportunities remaining for the next generation, cop or robber (or software engineer).
There is no ''right'' or ''conservative'' on the local level in Philly. What happened on South Street is a cultural issue as well...we're all waiting then for the Republicans to sink the cities I guess.

Discussing local Philly policies is ''left'' and ''liberal''...

Old 07-15-2022, 10:11 AM

1,026 posts, read 449,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Which is why the #1 focus must be de-weaponizing minors. Full stop. And that only happens with proper policies and policing that clearly isn't going on to the extent that it should for a multitude of reasons.
de-weaponizing also involves parent/s getting involved to de-weaponizing their own kids....proper policy and policing? stop and frisk.

Old 07-15-2022, 10:13 AM

386 posts, read 267,823 times
Yeah it’s the fact that so much of the random crime is coming from minors who are more reckless and don’t know what they’re doing so more innocent people are being put at risk.

It’s unfortunate that the most dangerous type of person out there for law abiding citizens right now is probably a 16-17 year old boy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia