Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2021, 11:54 AM

463 posts, read 206,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Motorists driving street legal vehicles who get pulled over without the proper paperwork have their vehicles impounded. As they should. The vehicle doesn't get crushed. But, if the owner doesn't come back for it, it will be auctioned off.

I see no problem with crushing vehicles that aren't street legal. Don't want it crushed? Obey the laws.

I read you just fine - you're a soft on order guy. Enjoy the ghetto.

BTW, one of these 'nuisance' riders shot another one in the face at Castor and Aramingo (where hundreds of them gather on weekends) last night.
Just boys being boys.

Just more reason for people to flee the city.
Anybody who has seen the videos or been involved in one of these incidents where 50 bikes, riding aggressively through busy streets, knows that it is more than just annoying. It is aggressive, intimidating, and dangerous. It is a form of lawlessness that absolutely needs to be brought under control. And many of the people doing it are involved in other criminal activity. Some of the people on these boards may be content to live and all sorts of nightmare scenarios, stating that it's not so bad, but our populace should have higher standards and strive to live in a better safer environment.

Anybody with money and children will leave if stuff like this becomes too commonplace.

Old 06-13-2021, 01:12 PM

1,465 posts, read 621,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
Anybody who has seen the videos or been involved in one of these incidents where 50 bikes, riding aggressively through busy streets, knows that it is more than just annoying. It is aggressive, intimidating, and dangerous. It is a form of lawlessness that absolutely needs to be brought under control. And many of the people doing it are involved in other criminal activity. Some of the people on these boards may be content to live and all sorts of nightmare scenarios, stating that it's not so bad, but our populace should have higher standards and strive to live in a better safer environment.

Anybody with money and children will leave if stuff like this becomes too commonplace.
It's in line with what's being treated as no big deal in most major cities:

- Loud music
- Graffiti vandalism
- Property crime
- Tinted windows on vehicles
- Relieving one's self in public
- Retail theft
- Loitering
- Open drug usage and sales
- Assault
Did I miss any?

I don't know why the powers-that-be want mayhem in the streets, but I have an idea ... It's Bizarro World.

This was produced by a local Seattle news station, so you can't scream 'FOX News':

Seattle is Dying
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi70WWBlw

Most major cities are leaning towards the same nutso policies and treatment of law breakers.

Here's a better one:

The Fight For the Soul of Seattle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WijoL3Hy_Bw

A homegrown judge had the audacity to go against city leaders and sentence a career violent criminal to a year in jail. They made his professional career a living hell until he finally decided to retire to Arizona.
Now, the other judges are in line.

Last edited by Hedonism; 06-13-2021 at 01:27 PM..

Old 06-13-2021, 08:21 PM

463 posts, read 206,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
It's in line with what's being treated as no big deal in most major cities:

- Loud music
- Graffiti vandalism
- Property crime
- Tinted windows on vehicles
- Relieving one's self in public
- Retail theft
- Loitering
- Open drug usage and sales
- Assault
Did I miss any?

I don't know why the powers-that-be want mayhem in the streets, but I have an idea ... It's Bizarro World.

This was produced by a local Seattle news station, so you can't scream 'FOX News':

Seattle is Dying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpAi70WWBlw

Most major cities are leaning towards the same nutso policies and treatment of law breakers.

Here's a better one:

The Fight For the Soul of Seattle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WijoL3Hy_Bw

A homegrown judge had the audacity to go against city leaders and sentence a career violent criminal to a year in jail. They made his professional career a living hell until he finally decided to retire to Arizona.
Now, the other judges are in line.
It's all about money and getting re-elected. Image has surpassed reality.

Old 06-13-2021, 11:08 PM

1,803 posts, read 933,711 times
It serves no purpose to mock and use political videos to mock Seattle....that is unless you do not want Philly mocked similarly?

This city has ... scenic vistas,. Great housing stock in both newer urban and single-homes unattached, Mountains even with snow-capped peaks outside the city and Chinese investment still funneling down from Vancouver since Canada cracked down on much.

Not to mention its tech scene that is not declining. So one cannot boost for Philly to mock Seattle...sorry guys. Find a better route to boost and boast for Philly.

If this too shall pass for Philly? Bettabelieve it will pass for Seattle also. Like making one believe .... at least we are not Baltimore makes one feel safer or superior.... Well if it works for ya .... Just do not count it as security in self. Still I see all our cities slowly bouncing back. Just scare can be left to feel one might want some make-up or botox for it to smoooooooth it over a bit.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:10 AM

1,465 posts, read 621,755 times
The bi-weekly Port Richmond trash invasion:

https://6abc.com/man-fatally-shot-du...lice/10784470/
He was a 'sweet' boy.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:15 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHyping View Post
It serves no purpose to mock and use political videos to mock Seattle....that is unless you do not want Philly mocked similarly?

This city has ... scenic vistas,. Great housing stock in both newer urban and single-homes unattached, Mountains even with snow-capped peaks outside the city and Chinese investment still funneling down from Vancouver since Canada cracked down on much.

Not to mention its tech scene that is not declining. So one cannot boost for Philly to mock Seattle...sorry guys. Find a better route to boost and boast for Philly.

If this too shall pass for Philly? Bettabelieve it will pass for Seattle also. Like making one believe .... at least we are not Baltimore makes one feel safer or superior.... Well if it works for ya .... Just do not count it as security in self. Still I see all our cities slowly bouncing back. Just scare can be left to feel one might want some make-up or botox for it to smoooooooth it over a bit.
He wasn't mocking Seattle with that video from a Seattle TV station.

He was saying that if we're not careful, we will end up there too.

Old 06-14-2021, 07:59 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Eh... I think arrest is a little extreme to be honest and too far to the right to solve the problem...

I think gun violence is the biggest concern for the city, not the ATV and Dirt Bike issue... and most of the gun violence is related to drugs at the moment.

In the whole bucket of Philadelphia problems... having dirt bikes going down Broad St is pretty low. IMO. Sure its annoying... but it is by far not the biggest problem in the city. I am 100% against the problem... but I do not think it is a top priority. It's more of a noise complaint than anything. It is not really violence inducing.

Also road spikes are a little extreme, and you cannot confiscate and destroy personal property of a vehicle if someone is in violation for a ticket violation on the street.

That is against the law. Just like if someone got a DUI... the city cannot confiscate and destroy the vehicle.

In most states, dirt bikes are actually street legal, as long as they have fenders, lights and are registered....

With that, I think starting to fine dirt bike/atv violators $1,500 with perhaps a 60 to 90 day license suspension would be the way to go. Arrest is way overboard. IMO. And a waste of taxpayer dollars.

I think forming a coalition with a few other major cities to tackle the issue would be smart... the whole ATV/Dirt Bike in the street problem has been a phenomena in almost every major city in the USA and is not a Philadelphia specific nuisance....

Arrest though is way too extreme.

If we really want to start to solve Philadelphia's problems... make Philadelphia Community College completely free to city residents... and invest in City Libraries as community centers and skill building resource networks to invest in communities, build skills and income and job opportunities for residents.

I rather spend $5 million towards that initiative... than arresting someone who drove a dirt bike down Broad St... which to me is a waste of money and way too strict of a violation.
I respectfully disagree on this one...

1. No one suggested this is on the level of gun violence. And why is everything treated as an either or scenario. The city can focus on the gun violence problem AND simultaneously focus on other issues such as this one.

2. The ATV / bike situation is more than an annoyance. It is a noise concern, safety concern, and lately incidents of violence and possible connections to shootings from these packs of riders. Teenagers playing ding-dong ditch is an annoyance, this is a major concern that goes well beyond just Broad Street. The fact that City Council unanimously agreed shows the extent of it.

3. A crack-down on this problem is not a waste of tax dollars. We all pay taxes regardless, if they go toward improving health, safety, QOL, then I am satisfied. There are plenty of actual wasteful uses of our tax dollars in a city like Philadelphia, lets not forget that.

This also is a deterrent for people wanting to live in the city. You are a cheerleader for population growth, adding more affluent residents, etc., you think a daily parade of this will not have adverse affects on the city's attractiveness?...

4. Article today... Appears the ATV / bike riders are showing their discontent with the new bill by riding throughout the city causing even more health & safety concerns. It is apparent these are not "kids having fun", they are questionable people with no regard for law or safety. They get no sympathy from me.

ATVs and dirt bikes take to the streets of Philly as the city tries to step up enforcement

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20210613.html

(I asked a friend of mine about this. He lives just off S. Broad and works in CC. He witnesses the hoards almost daily, and said they ride on sidewalks, rev their engines at cars, cyclists, flip people off, and on more than 1 occasion he has seen them come within feet of pedestrians, including a stroller. He said the problem got worse during the pandemic and has not subsided even as the city comes back to life. This mess is 1 ride away from catastrophe. Plus, the connections to violence, shootings, illegal carry of firearms is starting to show with these riders too).

But it's not an issue to worry about...

Edit to add: The creation of a large riding area or park may be a wise compromise IF AND ONLY IF the riders agree to stop illegally roaming the streets. But that is a large ask financially and from these riders since they don't care about laws or safety.

Last edited by cpomp; 06-14-2021 at 08:36 AM.. Reason: edited thoughts

Old 06-14-2021, 08:19 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
i respectfully disagree on this one...

1. No one suggested this is on the level of gun violence. And why is everything treated as an either or scenario. The city can focus on the gun violence problem and simultaneously focus on other issues such as this one.

2. The atv / bike situation is more than an annoyance. It is a noise concern, safety concern, and lately incidents of violence and possible connections to shootings from these packs of riders. Teenagers playing ding-dong ditch is an annoyance, this is a major concern that goes well beyond just broad street. The fact that city council unanimously agreed shows the extent of it.

3. A crack-down on this problem is not a waste of tax dollars. We all pay taxes regardless, if they go toward improving health, safety, qol, then i am satisfied. There are plenty of actual wasteful uses of our tax dollars in a city like philadelphia, lets not forget that.

This also is a deterrent for people wanting to live in the city. You are a cheerleader for population growth, adding more affluent residents, etc., you think a daily parade of this will not have adverse affects on the city's attractiveness?...

4. Article today... Appears the atv / bike riders are showing their discontent with the new bill by riding throughout the city causing even more health & safety concerns. It is apparent these are not "kids having fun", they are questionable people with no regard for law or safety. They get no sympathy from me.

atvs and dirt bikes take to the streets of philly as the city tries to step up enforcement

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20210613.html

(i asked a friend of mine about this. He lives just off s. Broad and works in cc. He witnesses the hoards almost daily, and said they ride on sidewalks, rev their engines at cars, cyclists, flip people off, and on more than 1 occasion he has seen them come within feet of pedestrians, including a stroller. He said the problem got worse during the pandemic has has not subsided even as the city comes back to life. This mess is 1 ride away from catastrophe. Plus, the connections to violence, shootings, illegal carry of firearms is starting to show with these riders too).

But it's not an issue to worry about...
100%

Old 06-14-2021, 08:44 AM

752 posts, read 458,920 times
Great post cpomp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Edit to add: The creation of a large riding area or park may be a wise compromise IF AND ONLY IF the riders agree to stop illegally roaming the streets. But that is a large ask financially and from these riders since they don't care about laws or safety.
^^^ It appears to me that a big component of these rides is a "look at me, look at me!" thing. An ATV park would not feed the thrill they get from riding through the streets so I doubt they will be interested. They want an audience for their shenanigans.

Old 06-14-2021, 08:58 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
I love the "oh this keeps them from commiting violence by giving them something to do" take.

WTH?

Last edited by Redddog; 06-14-2021 at 09:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia