Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2021, 11:37 AM

7,020 posts, read 3,791,408 times

Advertisements

This will be a WILD SUMMER

Old 05-26-2021, 12:14 PM

1,171 posts, read 607,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person333 View Post
Sometimes "targeted hits" end up with bullets going into houses or hitting bystanders. That is why I don't want even "targeted hits" in my neighborhood or in any of the neighborhoods I frequent.

A random Wawa in Macungie (a poster for suburbia) was just shot up, no motive found. Of course no one wants targeted shootings in their neighborhood but you can get randomly shot anywhere. I am not planning on avoiding suburban Wawas as a result of this development.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:02 PM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
A random Wawa in Macungie (a poster for suburbia) was just shot up, no motive found. Of course no one wants targeted shootings in their neighborhood but you can get randomly shot anywhere. I am not planning on avoiding suburban Wawas as a result of this development.
Macungie goes years without reporting a single murder, rape, or assault. Whereas Philadelphia has a major ongoing violence problem. What is your point? People in Queen Village should keep it moving because it was a one-time targeted murder? If a civilian was also killed, would this have qualified as a problem to you?

For the record, several innocent people were shot and killed this year in Philadelphia, whether at random or caught in the cross-fire.

Old 05-26-2021, 02:45 PM

463 posts, read 209,810 times
Completely anecdotal, but I know a growing number of people who are looking to move out of the city. The problem they're having is that suburban real estate is out of control, and it's nearly impossible to get a good home unless you come with cash and have a ridiculous escalation clause. Most are going to apartments until they can land somewhere they really want to be.

The reason across the board from all of these people is that there is real concern with the violence and the nonsense with the ATVs and other rowdiness that is happening. There is a worry of safety and long-term stability. Not sure if others hear the same thing, but it is really concerning.

Old 05-26-2021, 03:16 PM

1,171 posts, read 607,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Macungie goes years without reporting a single murder, rape, or assault. Whereas Philadelphia has a major ongoing violence problem. What is your point? People in Queen Village should keep it moving because it was a one-time targeted murder? If a civilian was also killed, would this have qualified as a problem to you?

For the record, several innocent people were shot and killed this year in Philadelphia, whether at random or caught in the cross-fire.

I think my point is pretty clear. I am not adjusting my habits based on the very low probability of being shot randomly, and that exists everywhere. That is what "random" means.

Though yes, I will cede that there are places and times in Philly I would avoid that that exist in Macungie. But that is a very small slice of life in Philly. These aren't adjustments to my life, these are places I have no need to go to in the first place.

Old 05-26-2021, 03:47 PM

1,465 posts, read 630,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
Completely anecdotal, but I know a growing number of people who are looking to move out of the city. The problem they're having is that suburban real estate is out of control, and it's nearly impossible to get a good home unless you come with cash and have a ridiculous escalation clause. Most are going to apartments until they can land somewhere they really want to be.

The reason across the board from all of these people is that there is real concern with the violence and the nonsense with the ATVs and other rowdiness that is happening. There is a worry of safety and long-term stability. Not sure if others hear the same thing, but it is really concerning.
I don't blame them for wanting to leave.

But, yeah, concerning.

And, no, I'm not going to avoid the 2nd and Bainbridge area. I'm willing to risk my life for Famous' hot pastrami and cookies.

Old 05-26-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
I don't blame them for wanting to leave.

But, yeah, concerning.

And, no, I'm not going to avoid the 2nd and Bainbridge area. I'm willing to risk my life for Famous' hot pastrami and cookies.
Same here. I haven't been there in nearly two years!

Old 05-27-2021, 07:06 AM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post

I've never seen the suburban real estate market so hot, maybe in 2004-2007? But prices are increasing and homes under contract in a day. Not just the lower end of the market, but homes all the way into the millions. I assume the city market is great too, but the burbs are back on peoples radar more than ever.

And you last paragraph is spot-on, and not good if these problems continue full force into the 2020s. The ATV thing is ridiculous and the city sits on their hands. The violent crime problem is more complex, but still requires an administration and police commissioner capable of handling it.

I still love the city life, but I don't diminish normal (non-botter) people reacting to very real problems, whether I agree or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
I think my point is pretty clear. I am not adjusting my habits based on the very low probability of being shot randomly, and that exists everywhere. That is what "random" means.

Though yes, I will cede that there are places and times in Philly I would avoid that that exist in Macungie. But that is a very small slice of life in Philly. These aren't adjustments to my life, these are places I have no need to go to in the first place.
Did anyone on here say that? And even if they did, why diminish their sentiments on very real problems?

Old 05-27-2021, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I've never seen the suburban real estate market so hot, maybe in 2004-2007? But prices are increasing and homes under contract in a day. Not just the lower end of the market, but homes all the way into the millions. I assume the city market is great too, but the burbs are back on peoples radar more than ever.
Yeah, it's nuts. What I'm seeing from some sites is a forecast with city real estate leveling out. That and houses sitting much longer than suburban real estate. That combined with a lot of city problems leaves a lot of questions about what it will look like even six months from now. If houses start not selling and people continue to get more nervous about these city issues, it won't take much to have long-term owners reducing their sales price (which they would already have a lot of equity built from years of appreciation, and able to do) to make the move. Suburban demand goes even further up, city supply goes further up, prices go down, short term owners looking to sell may struggle to sell, and then there is a big problem.

The other thing no one is talking about is the rental market. The reality of the rental market long-term, but that's another discussion all together.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:03 PM

1,465 posts, read 630,666 times
A guy got stabbed in the chest around 7 this morning at 9th and Market. Suspect in custody.

A guy was running around 15th and Chestnut groping women around 2 this afternoon.

A person was attacked by a group today around 5:30 at 18th and Spruce.

There was a shot fired around 2 this morning at 17th and Market. A male was seen running and a shell casing was recovered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia