Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2021, 05:38 AM

1,465 posts, read 630,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I knew the white guy, who was an up-and-coming developer. About a week or two before his untimely and unfortunate demise, we had had lunch during which time he offered me some advice for handling my finances (which I didn't then implement but did explore).

I consider it noteworthy that the district City Council member representing the district he lived in, who has been a noted critic of the real estate broker-developer responsible for much of the "gentrification" taking place in Point Breeze*, had nothing but praise for this fellow, who he also knew, after his murder.

*You may recall that someone torched a townhouse development that guy was building not far from where the murdered developer lived.
Yep ... Ori.

The local racists in Point breeze went after him.

Old 05-29-2021, 05:42 AM

Reading Terminal -

https://6abc.com/vandal-targets-hist...rket/10710422/

Most of the graffiti is done by grown males (some females) creeping around in the middle of the night, making their 'mark.'

Such losers.

Old 06-01-2021, 06:02 AM

9,448 posts, read 9,471,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Reading Terminal -

https://6abc.com/vandal-targets-hist...rket/10710422/

Most of the graffiti is done by grown males (some females) creeping around in the middle of the night, making their 'mark.'

Such losers.
Was this a "making territory" incident, or just lowlife idiots looking to cause trouble?

Either way, unacceptable, but I can't remember too many incidents where gang markings went this far.

Old 06-01-2021, 09:31 AM

14,397 posts, read 9,315,512 times
Quote:
Yep ... Ori.

The local racists in Point breeze went after him.
At least one of those "racists" was a young white woman who testified against a variance Feibush sought to build some taller homes on a Point Breeze block she lived on (in a house Ori owned, btw).

She was one of the founders of a committee of younger (white) people who sought to fight gentrification in Point Breeze. They called themselves the Point Breeze Organizing Committee.

An older Black woman who was waiting to testify at the same ZBA hearing this woman went to went out to take a cigarette break; as she left, she said words to this effect:

"If I were dealing with people like you, I'd build all around you too."

The lines in Point Breeze were not as sharply drawn as your comment above suggests. Some of the same pols who went after Feibush showed up for a groundbreaking of a John Longacre-backed project in the same neighborhood, aimed at the same types of buyers Feibush was aiming for.

(In addition to being a developer, Longacre established and still owns the South Philadelphia Tap Room, whose building sits at the corner of Mifflin and what had been called Newbold Street before the great street-name rationalization of the late 19th century; the new residents who moved into houses he rehabbed adopted that old street name for the part of Point Breeze they moved into, to the consternation of the current residents. (They've since changed the name of the civic group they founded to East Point Breeze Neighbors.)

Old 06-01-2021, 02:29 PM

463 posts, read 209,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
At least one of those "racists" was a young white woman who testified against a variance Feibush sought to build some taller homes on a Point Breeze block she lived on (in a house Ori owned, btw).

She was one of the founders of a committee of younger (white) people who sought to fight gentrification in Point Breeze. They called themselves the Point Breeze Organizing Committee.

An older Black woman who was waiting to testify at the same ZBA hearing this woman went to went out to take a cigarette break; as she left, she said words to this effect:

"If I were dealing with people like you, I'd build all around you too."

The lines in Point Breeze were not as sharply drawn as your comment above suggests. Some of the same pols who went after Feibush showed up for a groundbreaking of a John Longacre-backed project in the same neighborhood, aimed at the same types of buyers Feibush was aiming for.

(In addition to being a developer, Longacre established and still owns the South Philadelphia Tap Room, whose building sits at the corner of Mifflin and what had been called Newbold Street before the great street-name rationalization of the late 19th century; the new residents who moved into houses he rehabbed adopted that old street name for the part of Point Breeze they moved into, to the consternation of the current residents. (They've since changed the name of the civic group they founded to East Point Breeze Neighbors.)
There is no doubt a huge contribution of racism against white people from privileged white people who claim they are working in the best interests of black people. They are loud, inflammatory, and often out of alignment with reality. Just my 2c.

Old 06-01-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Was this a "making territory" incident, or just lowlife idiots looking to cause trouble?

Either way, unacceptable, but I can't remember too many incidents where gang markings went this far.
I think it was just your run of the mill idiot tagger who needed some attention.

Could have also been one of those who hate the 'system.'

Old 06-02-2021, 04:34 AM

Spring Garden -

https://6abc.com/police-investigate-...rden/10724066/

16th and Brandywine.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:29 AM

1,712 posts, read 994,797 times
Quote:
Spring Garden -

https://6abc.com/police-investigate-...rden/10724066/

16th and Brandywine.
Targetted criminals killed by the scum they associate with. Price of doing business - well THAT business, anyway.

Old 06-02-2021, 12:20 PM

2,248 posts, read 1,153,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Targetted criminals killed by the scum they associate with. Price of doing business - well THAT business, anyway.
Word on the street is they (the men sitting in the car) were about to commit a robbery but the suspects got the upper-hand and this is the aftermath.

Old 06-02-2021, 12:34 PM

1,712 posts, read 994,797 times
I see all this outporing for the "victims." These two guys were sitting in a car loaded up with drugs and guns actively working in the drug trade in town. They've probably murdered people.

These guys who were killed were as much of the problem as the killers.

It's insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia