Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2021, 05:48 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,763,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
I really hate going to SW, and thankful, I don't go out there much unless its to visit relatives since there's hardly anything to do out there. It's always had this feeling that if you aren't from that particular block, then you shouldn't be there. I've yet to feel that same particular vibe anywhere else in the city.
Worst section of the city. it has past North Philly

Old 05-12-2021, 06:06 PM

10,622 posts, read 12,167,534 times
Being a city of "neighborhoods," I think saying SW Philly is too broad a brush.....just as saying NE and West Philly.

Somerton is not -- and doesn't even have the same issues as -- Mayfair. Just as Ovrebrook Park isn't Mill Creek, and Eastwick is not Angora.

Old 05-12-2021, 06:39 PM

463 posts, read 207,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Being a city of "neighborhoods," I think saying SW Philly is too broad a brush.....just as saying NE and West Philly.

Somerton is not -- and doesn't even have the same issues as -- Mayfair. Just as Ovrebrook Park isn't Mill Creek, and Eastwick is not Angora.
Is there a nice part of SW Philly?

Old 05-12-2021, 07:00 PM

9,392 posts, read 9,377,964 times
Surpised these incidents were mentioned. Drivers crashing into outdoor dining setups.

1. Clearly a speeder, very sad, and the person should be thrown in jail... https://6abc.com/cafe-la-maude-crash...wduR4Zb7TPgjEs

2. A true thug / criminal stole a woman's purse, crashed into an outdoor dining structure, ran over two people, and tried to run over an officer when cornered. Police tased and apprehended, but I wouldn't have minded if they used full-force on the guy. But then we would hear Progressives cry about an innocent man being shot... https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...rw1LR9_fceHqdw

Old 05-12-2021, 08:08 PM

463 posts, read 207,653 times
I don't know how in the heck anybody would want to sit in the street or next to the street and dine. Even if nothing does happen, who wants to sit there and listen to and smell traffic.

Old 05-12-2021, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
I don't know how in the heck anybody would want to sit in the street or next to the street and dine. Even if nothing does happen, who wants to sit there and listen to and smell traffic.
Yes I am all about atmosphere and PJ clarkes outdoor dining area on 6th and walnut has a nice outdoor dining area across from the park. Not sitting out in the street. Shouldnt they be eliminating that on June 11th since indoor is 100%

Old 05-12-2021, 11:58 PM

14,267 posts, read 9,147,998 times
Quote:
Is there a nice part of SW Philly?
Eastwick, or "International City," the 1960s apartment complex on Lindbergh Boulevard south of Island Avenue.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:24 AM

9,392 posts, read 9,377,964 times
Quote:
I guess depends where. A rinky dink setup on a busy street scares me and its dirty and noisy. For example, all the avenues in NYC have this and its not that nice.

A proper setup on a small street or across from say Washington Square or Rittenhouse Square is really enjoyable, although they don't need to be as built-out in the future.

But, the issue with reckless speeding and driving (like what happened in Northern Liberties) is scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
Yes I am all about atmosphere and PJ clarkes outdoor dining area on 6th and walnut has a nice outdoor dining area across from the park. Not sitting out in the street. Shouldnt they be eliminating that on June 11th since indoor is 100%
That is a nice setup that should stay.

I read outdoor setup permits go through the end of the year, not sure if that changed?

An annoyance with that, Outfest, a street fair / block party in Gayborhood in early October (apparently) can't happen because the city said it is a health & safety hazard because the outdoor setups are still in place. That logic makes no sense, and another missed chance at hotel, bar, restaurant revenue.
The city takes a firmer stance on stopping a street fair than reducing gun violence... Only in Philadelphia.

Last edited by cpomp; 05-13-2021 at 08:32 AM..

Old 05-13-2021, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I guess depends where. A rinky dink setup on a busy street scares me and its dirty and noisy. For example, all the avenues in NYC have this and its not that nice.

A proper setup on a small street or across from say Washington Square or Rittenhouse Square is really enjoyable, although they don't need to be as built-out in the future.

That is an example of a nice setup that should stay.

I read outdoor setup permits go through the end of the year, not sure if that changed.

An annoyance with that, Outfest, a large street fair / block party in Gayborhood in early October can't happen because the city says its a health & safety hazard because the outdoor setups are still in place. That logic makes ZERO sense, and its another missed chance at hotel, bar, restaurant revenue.
The city takes a firmer stance on stopping a street fair than reducing gun violence... Only in Philadelphia.
Shouldn't the street outdoor dining be gone on June 11th since everything will be 100%?

Old 05-13-2021, 08:06 AM

1,700 posts, read 979,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedonism View Post
Mass shooting in Kingsessing -

https://6abc.com/quadruple-shooting-...phia/10621539/

Wonder how long the shooter's rap sheet is.
And how many people will refuse to "rat" him out....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia