Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2022, 02:35 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,136,860 times

Advertisements

*562 homicides, not counting the 50+ deaths listed as S for suspicious.

Appears that the Mayor or DA is finding a way to fabricate the homicide total so he won't be ran out of the city.

Old 01-01-2022, 05:14 PM

230 posts, read 287,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Then again I try not to do anything in Philly.

It’s always interesting how people who so often and proudly boast about how they never actually set foot in Philly if they can avoid doing so, also want us to believe that they’re experts on what is or isn’t going on here.

And are always so deeply and predictably invested in amplifying any negative information, about a city they constantly remind us that they (supposedly) couldn’t care less about.

For perfectly normal, and not at all transparently motivated reasons, as they assure us.

Even as they take ceaseless delight in human misery, for the petty satisfaction of (seemingly) having their opinion of the “animals” in the city validated.

To feel better about their own pitiful, bitter lives.

Never missing any opportunity to revel over the latest round of death, injury, and physical and psychological trauma.

Yet, conspicuously missing every opportunity to amplify those working at the grass roots level to stem the violence.

Pure coincidence. I’m sure.

At any rate; for the rest of us:

Here’s a link to a list of just some of the many organizations working to help end this cycle of tragedy:

https://www.pcgvr.org/community/

Anti-Violence Partnership of Philadelphia
Black Male Community Council of Philadelphia
Black Man Unifying Black Men
Blackwell Culture Alliance
Center for of School-Aged Violence
CeaseFirePA
Center for Nonviolence and Social Justice
The Charles Foundation
Coalition of Trauma Centers for Firearm Injury Prevention
Every Murder is Real
Gun Violence Survivors Foundation
Heeding God’s Call
House of Umoja
Institute for the Development of African-American Youth
Jarell Christopher Seay Love and Laughter Foundation
Juvenile Law Center
Moms Demand Action – PA
Mill Creek on the MOVE
One Day at a Time (ODAAT)
Mothers in Charge
NOMO Foundation
Philadelphia Anti-Drug, Anti-Violence Network
Philadelphia CeaseFire
Philadelphia Coalition for Victim Advocacy
Philadelphia Collaborative Violence Prevention Center
Philadelphia Physicians for Social Responsibility
Souls Shot: Portraits of Victims of Gun Violence
Stoneleigh Foundation
Sultan Jihad Ahmad Community Foundation
Temple Safety Net
Town Watch Integrated Services
Unity in the Community
Women Against Abuse
Young Chances Foundation

Some people are so bitter and empty, that they only know how to tear down.

The rest of us want to find ways help heal. And build.

We know who’s who.

Let’s get to work.

Old 01-01-2022, 05:19 PM

979 posts, read 421,983 times
^ I don't know if these groups are helping or not, but I guess it's better than 1500 murders. Selhars lives in the city, btw.

Old 01-01-2022, 06:26 PM

1,215 posts, read 962,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFrom215 View Post
It’s always interesting how people who so often and proudly boast about how they never actually set foot in Philly if they can avoid doing so, also want us to believe that they’re experts on what is or isn’t going on here.

And are always so deeply and predictably invested in amplifying any negative information, about a city they constantly remind us that they (supposedly) couldn’t care less about.

For perfectly normal, and not at all transparently motivated reasons, as they assure us.

Even as they take ceaseless delight in human misery, for the petty satisfaction of (seemingly) having their opinion of the “animals” in the city validated.

To feel better about their own pitiful, bitter lives.

Never missing any opportunity to revel over the latest round of death, injury, and physical and psychological trauma.

Yet, conspicuously missing every opportunity to amplify those working at the grass roots level to stem the violence.

Pure coincidence. I’m sure.

At any rate; for the rest of us:

Here’s a link to a list of just some of the many organizations working to help end this cycle of tragedy:

https://www.pcgvr.org/community/

Anti-Violence Partnership of Philadelphia
Black Male Community Council of Philadelphia
Black Man Unifying Black Men
Blackwell Culture Alliance
Center for of School-Aged Violence
CeaseFirePA
Center for Nonviolence and Social Justice
The Charles Foundation
Coalition of Trauma Centers for Firearm Injury Prevention
Every Murder is Real
Gun Violence Survivors Foundation
Heeding God’s Call
House of Umoja
Institute for the Development of African-American Youth
Jarell Christopher Seay Love and Laughter Foundation
Juvenile Law Center
Moms Demand Action – PA
Mill Creek on the MOVE
One Day at a Time (ODAAT)
Mothers in Charge
NOMO Foundation
Philadelphia Anti-Drug, Anti-Violence Network
Philadelphia CeaseFire
Philadelphia Coalition for Victim Advocacy
Philadelphia Collaborative Violence Prevention Center
Philadelphia Physicians for Social Responsibility
Souls Shot: Portraits of Victims of Gun Violence
Stoneleigh Foundation
Sultan Jihad Ahmad Community Foundation
Temple Safety Net
Town Watch Integrated Services
Unity in the Community
Women Against Abuse
Young Chances Foundation

Some people are so bitter and empty, that they only know how to tear down.

The rest of us want to find ways help heal. And build.

We know who’s who.

Let’s get to work.
They're just miserable people. In full transparency, I used to be similar in thought. I was hyper-focused on situations I considered to be limiting my growth and my happiness (not race-related or crime-related, but still very much stunting to my emotional growth). I literally brainwashed myself that that if X, Y, and Z were addressed and solved I would be at peace, and would be content. It took a stranger to alert me to how negative I was to literally everything.

I will never forget the day I realized I was only impacting my own well-being; I turned the page and embraced the fact that we all have one life to live, yet time keeps ticking. I've never been happier or more successful in all aspects of life since. I hope for all these damaged people that they stop stunting their own emotional, financial and physical growth, but I'm not holding my breath. Most people that embrace hate as a calling end up being physically non-descript, (at best), if not sloppy disgusting slobs, financially lower-to-middle-class and chronically depressed. It's easier to be a coward and a victim than a leader. I truly feel sorry for these individuals.

Old 01-01-2022, 07:50 PM

14,314 posts, read 9,193,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
^ I don't know if these groups are helping or not, but I guess it's better than 1500 murders. Selhars lives in the city, btw.
One of my takeaways from that ProPublica feature is that these groups and others organized informally by neighborhood residents do contribute to keeping murder rates down, and they do it by giving young men especially other outlets for their energy and supportive networks where they otherwise would have none.

If "it takes a village to raise a child," these groups form the village in enough young men's lives to make a difference. The big point here is, there is no one reason that the murder rate has spiked. There are many. The groups in question were derailed by the COVID pandemic.

Old 01-01-2022, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
They're just miserable people. In full transparency, I used to be similar in thought. I was hyper-focused on situations I considered to be limiting my growth and my happiness (not race-related or crime-related, but still very much stunting to my emotional growth). I literally brainwashed myself that that if X, Y, and Z were addressed and solved I would be at peace, and would be content. It took a stranger to alert me to how negative I was to literally everything.

I will never forget the day I realized I was only impacting my own well-being; I turned the page and embraced the fact that we all have one life to live, yet time keeps ticking. I've never been happier or more successful in all aspects of life since. I hope for all these damaged people that they stop stunting their own emotional, financial and physical growth, but I'm not holding my breath. Most people that embrace hate as a calling end up being physically non-descript, (at best), if not sloppy disgusting slobs, financially lower-to-middle-class and chronically depressed. It's easier to be a coward and a victim than a leader. I truly feel sorry for these individuals.
HAHA! Acts ethically superior, then goes on to rip those (complete with name-calling) who feel differently about the city. Clever. Sounds 'well' to me - a reformed racist who directs their hate elsewhere. Luckily, for me, I can be aware of the world, yet still manage to be happy, healthy and financially secure. Whew!

Last edited by henrychen; 01-01-2022 at 10:22 PM..

Old 01-02-2022, 06:44 AM

A Philli gal murdered her mother's fiancee in Lower Merion. It's spreading.

Old 01-02-2022, 11:05 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,060,325 times
Hey Philly, could you folks slow the shootings down a bit. You are making Pittsburgh news. Thanks.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...A6UOGZQ2WZQOM/

PS, we have enough shootings and stabbings in our own city.

Seriously though, what is going on down there? Pretty violent year don't you think? Guess we can blame it on Covid, right?

Old 01-02-2022, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Hey Philly, could you folks slow the shootings down a bit. You are making Pittsburgh news. Thanks.

https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-storie...A6UOGZQ2WZQOM/

PS, we have enough shootings and stabbings in our own city.

Seriously though, what is going on down there? Pretty violent year don't you think? Guess we can blame it on Covid, right?
It's the progressive administration and city council. The main thing is to keep their voting base from having contact with the police and to not hold them when they do get arrested. That's what's important.

Old 01-02-2022, 12:30 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,136,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
It's the progressive administration and city council. The main thing is to keep their voting base from having contact with the police and to not hold them when they do get arrested. That's what's important.
Those particular incidents would've still happened despite the mayor. It's a community problem, however you're labeled a racist if you try to point it out.

Trashy people with trashy temperaments get drunk partying and the littlest thing sets them off. 2 of the cases were at party venues, one of the cases the victims knew the other suspect. The other stemmed from an argument in a house.. The first day of the month is often bloody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia