Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2021, 10:45 AM

230 posts, read 286,577 times

Advertisements

I’ll leave you with a perspective on the (very difficult) balance between public safety, criminal justice reform, and a more equitable society, as well the city’s image:

Consider: I’m a lifelong city resident, who’s been living in Delco for the last couple years. First time as a resident in the ‘burbs.

Recently, I’ve been thinking about moving back to the city. No reflection on Delco, there’s plenty that I like about it, just not a great fit for me, personally.

I’m a big Philly booster, a liberal, and I really miss living in the city.

And even I’m having second thoughts about returning.

Even I’m like, nobody with an ounce of common sense watches video like that armed robbery outside the Comcast Center and thinks: “OMG! QUICK: SOMEONE CALL A SQUAD OF SOCIAL WORKERS! STAT!”

If that’s the case for me, can you imagine what people with no ties to the city, with the option to live/work anywhere they want are thinking?

Speaking from a lifetime in Philly: I can tell you with 100% certainty; the strong-arm types and pistol boys absolutely are emboldened, because they believe that there’s currently a lack of civic will to make them pay a price.

Until that changes, this is going to continue.

Whatever your political leanings, it’s time we get a handle on public safety in the city.

We can both do that and meaningfully reform criminal justice. It’s not either/or. And as I said in my previous post, we know how. We’ve done it before.

Last edited by LiveFrom215; 12-12-2021 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-12-2021, 02:53 PM

2,236 posts, read 1,122,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
Well at least a car jacking wasn't involved. Just your run-of-the-mill domestic disaster. And it would have been PREVENTED by sending in one of those new woke "social worker negotiators", RIGHT?

Groom robbed outside wedding reception
https://6abc.com/old-city-philadelph...rant/11329914/

List of things you can't do in the city of 'Brotherly Love' is shrinking. Can't wait until these thugs try it on a plain clothes officer and get what's coming to them. Maybe it will send a message to all the other thieves in the city for good.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:50 PM

979 posts, read 418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Groom robbed outside wedding reception
https://6abc.com/old-city-philadelph...rant/11329914/

List of things you can't do in the city of 'Brotherly Love' is shrinking. Can't wait until these thugs try it on a plain clothes officer and get what's coming to them. Maybe it will send a message to all the other thieves in the city for good.
Old City is safe AF.

Old 12-12-2021, 10:40 PM

230 posts, read 286,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
We won't know because not even that happened.

But back to a point you made in your earlier reply to me: the change in Camden occurred because the cops did two things at the same time: they focused on the little offenses that "broken window theory" says will lead to a reduction in worse crimes and they focused on getting to know the people they were there to serve and protect.

Put another way, effective policing is indeed one part social work in addition to everything else. The real way to deal with this issue is not to send social workers instead of cops to deal with domestic disputes but to give the cops some training in social work and de-escalation techniques.

From what I understand, either not enough police forces train cops in that way or too many cops have bought into the warrior ethos rather than the guardian one. That former ethos sets the cop apart from the community rather than as a part of it the way a guardian would be. So the social-work, community-relations part then makes the broken-windows part more effective.
FYI: That snarky remark about “call a team of social workers!” in my previous comment was not directed at you. I didn’t actually see your comments until after I posted.

My ire was directed at the “woke white progressives” former Mayor Nutter addressed in his Inquirer op-ed, who view black and brown lives as abstractions, secondary to their rhetorical dogma.

As our District Attorney reminded us with his “inarticulate” remarks regarding whether or not over a thousand (in the last two years) dead, and thousands more maimed and wounded (mostly) people of color in this city, rises to the level of ‘crisis.’ In his learned estimation.

I think we’re largely in agreement here. As always, I appreciate your well-considered and insightful commentary.

Old 12-13-2021, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
Old City is safe AF.
I hope that's sarcasm.

Old 12-13-2021, 08:17 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,603,469 times
An new map on shooting victim statistics by city Ward was released today, and it's very interesting:

https://billypenn.com/2021/12/13/phi...lection-wards/

There's no doubt that shooting-related crimes are unacceptably high, but the narrative of a crime spree across the city does fall a bit flat with this data. I was surprised to see that a good number of neighborhoods (particularly around Center City) actually had a DECREASE in shooting crimes this year, although of course that's offset by an increase in shooting-related violent crime in other parts of the city.

If anything, I think this shows that shootings do indeed occur in all neighborhoods of city, but the incidence of them are VERY disproportionate to North and West Philadelphia, possibly even moreso than ever:

Old 12-13-2021, 08:27 AM

1,697 posts, read 973,279 times
It's shocking to see how brazen these animals are. That part of Old City is always busy. But the one on Cuthbert near the comcast building was super busy and they rolled a group of people.

Doesn't get more brazen than that.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:40 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,344,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
An new map on shooting victim statistics by city Ward was released today, and it's very interesting:

There's no doubt that shooting-related crimes are unacceptably high, but the narrative of a crime spree across the city does fall a bit flat with this data. I was surprised to see that a good number of neighborhoods (particularly around Center City) actually had a DECREASE in shooting crimes this year, although of course that's offset by an increase in shooting-related violent crime in other parts of the city.

If anything, I think this shows that shootings do indeed occur in all neighborhoods of city, but the incidence of them are VERY disproportionate to North and West Philadelphia, possibly even moreso than ever:

Interesting maps.

Sort of related to your post, but I researched "downtown crime" in several large cities over the weekend. Philadelphia is by no means alone when it comes to disturbing crime entering downtown. Not excusing the crimes or behavior (the trend needs to change ASAP), but I wanted to share that tidbit since lately this thread has clearly become a breeding ground for trolling comments.

If people want to share crime news, FINE, but the snooty and often false or generalized Philadelphia centric commentary that follows isn't necessary. Constructive discussions or debates should be the goal.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:00 AM

Woman Shot 10 Times In North Philadelphia

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...-gun-violence/

Looks like another domestic dispute. Women aren't safe in the city of Philadelphia anymore.

528 Homicides

Old 12-13-2021, 01:47 PM

473 posts, read 274,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Woman Shot 10 Times In North Philadelphia

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...-gun-violence/

Looks like another domestic dispute. Women aren't safe in the city of Philadelphia anymore.

528 Homicides
"Domestic Violence Is a Pandemic Within the COVID-19 Pandemic"

https://time.com/5928539/domestic-violence-covid-19/

Women with abusive partners aren't safe, but domestic incidents have little impact on the safety of the general public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia