Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2021, 10:18 PM

1,170 posts, read 594,347 times

Advertisements

Sort of off topic, but it is ironic that in London, Mayfair and Kensington are about as posh as it gets.

Old 12-14-2021, 05:05 AM

979 posts, read 419,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Man shot to death inside home in Mayfair

https://6abc.com/mayfair-shooting-ph...home/11334543/

Mayfair (and Frankford) have always been the hood areas of the Northeast, so this does not surprise me one bit.

529 Homicides
I used to live in Mayfair. It was safe as could be until it really started changing (I'd better not say why as I'll be attacked) about twenty years ago. It was (and still isn't) anything like Frankford. Frankford's been bad since the '70s.

Old 12-14-2021, 07:44 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,530,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Sort of off topic, but it is ironic that in London, Mayfair and Kensington are about as posh as it gets.
There's a cheesesteak place called 'Passyunk Avenue' not fair from Mayfair too.

But yes, it is unfortunate. "KimGary" and "SBC News", two youtube channels, that spent all day every day posting videos of Kensington ave. Philadelphia draw a lot of views and comments from people in the UK because of the name association.

I can't imagine how disgusting of a person you have to be post videos like that.

I walk around my neighborhood every day, children playing, restaurants filled, people Christmas shopping. Two of my neighbors gave me toys for my dog. I made a wreath randomly with my other neighbor. Then I come online and everything in Philadelphia is just so awful lol... really brings into light how much a sickness social media has become.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:04 AM

2,236 posts, read 1,126,923 times
Red Light Ambush Leaves 2 Shot Near Penn in University City

https://6abc.com/philadelphia-shooti...eets/11337641/

Not even a premier Ivy League campus is exempt from your typical Philadelphia shooting.

Old 12-14-2021, 11:39 AM

14,209 posts, read 9,110,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
There's a cheesesteak place called 'Passyunk Avenue' not fair from Mayfair too.

But yes, it is unfortunate. "KimGary" and "SBC News", two youtube channels, that spent all day every day posting videos of Kensington ave. Philadelphia draw a lot of views and comments from people in the UK because of the name association.

I can't imagine how disgusting of a person you have to be post videos like that.

I walk around my neighborhood every day, children playing, restaurants filled, people Christmas shopping. Two of my neighbors gave me toys for my dog. I made a wreath randomly with my other neighbor. Then I come online and everything in Philadelphia is just so awful lol... really brings into light how much a sickness social media has become.
TBH, reading the litany here, maybe I should just stay up here in East Germantown where it's safer.

Old 12-15-2021, 07:11 AM

7,273 posts, read 10,614,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
It comes as no surprise, and is extremely telling, that the people who tend to troll the most about Philadelphia's crime situation/events are not actually Philadelphia residents themselves.

They lack real life, in-person perspective and can't fathom a place in which there are multitude of day-to-day experiences, most of which not revolving around crippling fear or constant disgust.

I'd like to hope that their motives are actually in good faith. But it's like they're rooting for everyone to be miserable and filled with fear because they're endlessly trying to prove a point about some larger "societal downfall."

The reality is that crime has been a major and concerning issue in Philadelphia for decades, even when it was "good" a few years ago. Despite the uptick in shooting crimes, particularly those "high profile" cases that shock everyone, or despite the open-air drug use, the vast majority of Philadelphians still somehow manage to live perfectly normal lives filled with many happy moments on a daily basis.

That doesn't mean that they aren't concerned with creating a safer/cleaner city, and exposure to violence causes both physical and mental wounds that must heal, but fundamental human nature tells us to "move on" and do everything possible to do better to the next day. It's a critical part of the resilience of big cities.

It's that type of logical reasoning that creates cognitive dissonance and does not register with the trolls.

Last edited by Duderino; 12-15-2021 at 07:29 AM..

Old 12-15-2021, 10:59 AM

445 posts, read 415,850 times

A lot of people blame Krasner but it seems like the arrest rate is dreadfully low and that blame lies more on the PPD.

Hell, almost every case where there's been an arrest has resulted in charges!

Old 12-15-2021, 03:38 PM

979 posts, read 419,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
It comes as no surprise, and is extremely telling, that the people who tend to troll the most about Philadelphia's crime situation/events are not actually Philadelphia residents themselves.

They lack real life, in-person perspective and can't fathom a place in which there are multitude of day-to-day experiences, most of which not revolving around crippling fear or constant disgust.

I'd like to hope that their motives are actually in good faith. But it's like they're rooting for everyone to be miserable and filled with fear because they're endlessly trying to prove a point about some larger "societal downfall."

The reality is that crime has been a major and concerning issue in Philadelphia for decades, even when it was "good" a few years ago. Despite the uptick in shooting crimes, particularly those "high profile" cases that shock everyone, or despite the open-air drug use, the vast majority of Philadelphians still somehow manage to live perfectly normal lives filled with many happy moments on a daily basis.

That doesn't mean that they aren't concerned with creating a safer/cleaner city, and exposure to violence causes both physical and mental wounds that must heal, but fundamental human nature tells us to "move on" and do everything possible to do better to the next day. It's a critical part of the resilience of big cities.

It's that type of logical reasoning that creates cognitive dissonance and does not register with the trolls.
LOL@'crippling fear' and 'constant disgust.' So dramatic. Some here really do enjoy creating stories in their own heads. Not to mention being mind-readers.

Old 12-16-2021, 05:02 AM

453 posts, read 302,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridge12 View Post

A lot of people blame Krasner but it seems like the arrest rate is dreadfully low and that blame lies more on the PPD.

Hell, almost every case where there's been an arrest has resulted in charges!
I suggest you familiarize yourself with his policies and beliefs then ask yourself if the police should bother actually enforcing LAWS if he won't.

You KNOW they don't make arrests that the DA won't prosecute, right? Do you watch TV?

He's concerned about "healing" - and "civil rights for criminals" - not your safety or quality of life.

https://krasnerforda.com/platform

Old 12-16-2021, 07:52 AM

445 posts, read 415,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
I suggest you familiarize yourself with his policies and beliefs then ask yourself if the police should bother actually enforcing LAWS if he won't.

You KNOW they don't make arrests that the DA won't prosecute, right? Do you watch TV?

He's concerned about "healing" - and "civil rights for criminals" - not your safety or quality of life.

https://krasnerforda.com/platform
What are you talking about lol?

https://twitter.com/jrking215/status...202561/photo/1

Almost all the homicide arrests and non-fatal shooting arrests have resulted in charges! It looks like the police aren't doing their job and arresting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia