Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2021, 11:00 AM

463 posts, read 207,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Maybe you should give your New York City friends a heads-up on their potential new police commissioner, at least the ones not caught-up in Identity Politics...lol...whether Outlaw is selected to run the largest police department in the U.S. remains to be seen, but in her head, she's been completely validated as doing an excellent job...lol.

I have lowered expectations now from NYC's mayor-elect; what's with politicians or anyone announcing in advance that they have a certain sex or race requirement for a job, especially one as important as the police commissioner in any city, let alone NYC, or as we saw in 2020, the requirement for a ''black female vice president''. Talk about a limited pool of candidates, but actual qualifications don't matter anymore...lol. Pre-determined outcomes, which is the current rage, will always lead to a disaster.

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20211209.html
It's okay as long as they say they are not looking for a white male as a candidate. When you say that out loud, it really does highlight how ridiculous it is to say you were looking for any gender or race or color of skin. I guess we'll just have to wait to demonstrate that every race, skin color, and gender is plagued with stupid, lazy, corrupt, and incompetent people. Maybe then we can try to look for the right person regardless.

Old 12-09-2021, 05:11 PM

2,237 posts, read 1,128,308 times
https://www.fox29.com/news/man-shot-...urg-police-say

Crime is spreading to the Northeast.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...-gun-violence/

Another shooting in West Philly.

Last edited by AshbyQuin; 12-09-2021 at 05:22 PM..

Old 12-09-2021, 08:52 PM

Shooting and Robbery Attempt near CCP Spring Garden Campus. Are students safe in this city?

Old 12-09-2021, 09:51 PM

22 posts, read 13,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Shooting and Robbery Attempt near CCP Spring Garden Campus. Are students safe in this city?
A Columbia grad student was stabbed to death in Morningside Park last week. Are students safe in New York City?

Old 12-09-2021, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by person333 View Post
A Columbia grad student was stabbed to death in Morningside Park last week. Are students safe in New York City?
Not sure why you’re bringing in another cities crime problem unless it’s to cope with the amount of senseless violence going on in Philadelphia. Students in the city of Philadelphia deserve to feel safe while on campus.

Old 12-09-2021, 10:05 PM

22 posts, read 13,632 times
Quote:
Not sure why you’re bringing in another cities crime problem unless it’s to cope with the amount of senseless violence going on in Philadelphia. Students in the city of Philadelphia deserve to feel safe while on campus.
Why are you trolling? The incident you referenced was a guy holding up Bold Pizza at gunpoint who got shot by an employee for his troubles. It did not occur on CCP's campus and it has nothing to do with CCP.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by person333 View Post
Why are you trolling? The incident you referenced was a guy holding up Bold Pizza at gunpoint who got shot by an employee for his troubles. It did not occur on CCP's campus and it has nothing to do with CCP.
So why did we get a CCP voice mail and text message with the CCP police responding to the situation? It’s a block away from campus it’s concerning for students.

And nobody is trolling, I’m doing exactly what this thread is for: posting crime incidents.

Old 12-10-2021, 06:29 AM

14,216 posts, read 9,118,733 times
Quote:
I think the point that poster was trying to make was that what's happening here is not unique to Philadelphia. And, proportionally speaking, it might be worse elsewhere.

I did see a news item last night that pointed out that 16 US cities have now broken their murder records this year. One of them, by the way, is the city whose police department our current Police Commissioner ran, Portland, Ore. Chicago has the highest total and the greatest numeric increase. I think our murders-per-100k-residents rate is higher than Chicago's, though.

But here's something else to take away from this: If this is a wider national phenomenon, then the likelihood that people will leave here in droves because of violent crime goes down. Where are you going to run to if there's nowhere to hide? (Now, the option of simply trading a city address for a suburban one remains live.)

And once again: Violent crime is down in Camden. Isn't anyone here interested in finding out what they're doing right there? I've offered you all clues.

Old 12-10-2021, 06:51 AM

463 posts, read 207,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I think the point that poster was trying to make was that what's happening here is not unique to Philadelphia. And, proportionally speaking, it might be worse elsewhere.

I did see a news item last night that pointed out that 16 US cities have now broken their murder records this year. One of them, by the way, is the city whose police department our current Police Commissioner ran, Portland, Ore. Chicago has the highest total and the greatest numeric increase. I think our murders-per-100k-residents rate is higher than Chicago's, though.

But here's something else to take away from this: If this is a wider national phenomenon, then the likelihood that people will leave here in droves because of violent crime goes down. Where are you going to run to if there's nowhere to hide? (Now, the option of simply trading a city address for a suburban one remains live.)

And once again: Violent crime is down in Camden. Isn't anyone here interested in finding out what they're doing right there? I've offered you all clues.
That is precisely the risk. People aren't going to pack up and run to another city necessarily. That requires a lot of change especially for families. But it does not preclude people from packing up and going to the suburbs, which has been happening. There is a real risk from a financial perspective. As we may still have more net immigration into Philadelphia, but that immigration is likely to be made up of working class people. Now I'm a huge fan of working-class people, but there needs to be wealth in the city in order to raise money for services accordingly.

Image is another consideration. Crime might be going up in New York and San Francisco, but the image of those cities has been more pristine for a longer period of time. Philadelphia was just starting to change its reputation. It's much easier to slide backward when your reputation has been mixed for the last several years versus having a positive image for decades.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:25 AM

14,216 posts, read 9,118,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
That is precisely the risk. People aren't going to pack up and run to another city necessarily. That requires a lot of change especially for families. But it does not preclude people from packing up and going to the suburbs, which has been happening. There is a real risk from a financial perspective. As we may still have more net immigration into Philadelphia, but that immigration is likely to be made up of working class people. Now I'm a huge fan of working-class people, but there needs to be wealth in the city in order to raise money for services accordingly.

Image is another consideration. Crime might be going up in New York and San Francisco, but the image of those cities has been more pristine for a longer period of time. Philadelphia was just starting to change its reputation. It's much easier to slide backward when your reputation has been mixed for the last several years versus having a positive image for decades.
I'll give you that last sentence.

Which makes the case of "Chi-raq" a bit puzzling, for I'd say that while the Windy City doesn't enjoy the lofty status of New York and San Fran, it's generally enjoyed favorable press — with two exceptions: violent crime and political corruption.

Two defects it shares with this city.

Which leads me once again to ask: Why hasn't "Killadelphia" been dusted off yet?

Postscript: However, I'd say that outside the city, Philadelphia has now enjoyed at least a decade of generally favorable press coverage. Incidents like the murder of Hitchbot might remind everyone of the city's reputation for hostile residents (and bring up references to the pelting-Santa-with-batteries incident from about 50 years ago), but these now seem to me to be couched in a cushion of praise for the city's livability, amenities and (relative to other very large cities) affordability. (And you get the occasional travel-mag survey that finds Philadelphians actually among the more helpful and honest big-city residents.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia