Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2021, 08:30 AM

9,384 posts, read 9,364,670 times

Advertisements

Regarding the article I shared a few days ago, it mentioned that Mayor Kenney recruited Outlaw from Portland, Or. (I knew she came from there, but didn't know there were recruitment efforts).

Does anyone know why that was? Strong credentials? Filling the Progressive agenda? She seems like an okay person (unlike Krasner), but woefully unprepared for her job, I had that feeling from Day 1, and here we are now.

Old 12-08-2021, 08:41 AM

744 posts, read 777,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Michael Nutter: Larry Krasner owes an apology to the 521 families of Philly’s homicide victims

The former mayor laying it to Krasner. I am happy to see and have said before I had wished to see him more involved in local politics still.
I really miss Nutter. I didn't realize how spoiled I was to have him as Mayor when I first moved to Philadelphia. It has been a bit disappointing to see him so uninvolved since leaving office. I particularly liked a few lines from the op-ed:
Quote:
"In 2013, Philadelphia experienced the lowest number of homicides since 1968. We reduced the prison population by about 2,000 people. We reduced the number of police officer-involved shootings. The Philadelphia Police Department became accredited for the first time in history. We weren’t perfect. As mayor, I made plenty of mistakes — but I didn’t blame the press or Harrisburg. The people of Philadelphia knew that I cared about their safety and that I was working to stop abuses within the Police Department."
Both Krasner and Kenney should take note of this. Stop blaming Harrisburg for everything. These two don't act like leaders. Both have offered zero actual solutions to curb this problem now.

Quote:
Growing up in West Philly in the 1960s and ‘70s, I saw the good and bad of police and community relations. But at the end of the day, there are only two things that really matter:

First: When something goes down, people call 911 and expect a professionally trained police officer to show up, treat them with dignity and respect, and handle the issue.

Second: People want to be able to safely walk down the street, have their children play outside or go to school, be able to go to the supermarket, or church, or synagogue, or mosque in safety and peace.
This is similar to what MSE says in this forum a lot. Most people want to good policing in their communities and want their communities to be safe. Unfortunately we have a DA that kowtows to the "ACAB" crowd that thinks police can't be anything positive.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:36 AM

1,699 posts, read 976,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I was very happy reading this piece from Nutter. Krasner is an arrogant a**.

I wonder what his excuse will be 3 years from now if homicides are still at record highs...
I mean...he has nothing to excuse. We don't have a violence issue here.

Old 12-08-2021, 09:52 AM

474 posts, read 275,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
I hope a certain poster reads this article as well, especially the description of the DA not prosecuting, among other crimes, shoplifting.

So the ACLU puts an end to Stop & Frisk, alleging no probable cause and, of course, had a disproportionate number of black (males) being frisked.

6 or so years later, after an increasing number of murders turned into a tsunami of homicides after George Floyd had his ''3-strikes and you're out'' fentanyl overdose in 1 year, Philadlephia enacts its Driver Equality Bill that prohibits traffic stops despite having probable cause...lol...smh.
"George Floyd had his ''3-strikes and you're out'' fentanyl overdose" - Why do you even comment here? Stuff like this along with posting a bunch of unconfirmed things from the Citizen app to say "Center City is awful" just shows your extreme bias and ruins any credibility you might have had.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:54 AM

463 posts, read 207,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
I really miss Nutter. I didn't realize how spoiled I was to have him as Mayor when I first moved to Philadelphia. It has been a bit disappointing to see him so uninvolved since leaving office. I particularly liked a few lines from the op-ed:

Both Krasner and Kenney should take note of this. Stop blaming Harrisburg for everything. These two don't act like leaders. Both have offered zero actual solutions to curb this problem now.

This is similar to what MSE says in this forum a lot. Most people want to good policing in their communities and want their communities to be safe. Unfortunately we have a DA that kowtows to the "ACAB" crowd that thinks police can't be anything positive.
The only way to get him out of there is to vote him out. Unfortunately, people like this get into office because candidates have to be constrained in one party. I'm not suggesting I like the Republican party anymore than the Democratic party, but we are getting Krasner because the only way to get into office is if you are running as a Democrat.

Old 12-08-2021, 10:57 AM

463 posts, read 207,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I mean...he has nothing to excuse. We don't have a violence issue here.
Nothing to see here! I guess someone should let him know that tourists don't particularly like hearing gunshots. Sure, they might not be a common primary target, but tourists do get scared and they do bleed if they happen to get shot. Oh yeah, and let's not forget the tourists almost always have a choice. They could go here with a high murder rate or someplace else with a lower murder rate.

This type of nonsense is what we have to look forward to as this great nation continues to spiral into absurdity. It reminds me of a different form of incompetency, but along the lines of the nuclear power plant manager of the Chernobyl incident, well recreated in HBO's mini-series Chernobyl. They couldn't convince him of what was really happening.

Last edited by ilovephilly79; 12-08-2021 at 11:06 AM..

Old 12-08-2021, 12:13 PM

2,237 posts, read 1,127,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Well, don't let the door hit you...

You couldn't have a less accurate take on Philly. Enjoy your "even better" city.
I will, 2022 couldn't come soon enough!

Old 12-08-2021, 12:23 PM

2,237 posts, read 1,127,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
A statistic to chew on:

More people move between New York and Philadelphia than between any other two cities in the country.

Over the past two decades, the population flow has been net towards Philadelphia.

A few years back, The Inquirer did a story where they broke down the population flows over the previous 10 years by New York City borough.

The population flow between Philadelphia and Manhattan was net towards Manhattan by a few thousand, and this makes sense, for Manhattan is like no other urban place in the country, and if you can afford to live there, you will.

The net flow was towards Philadelphia from all the other boroughs. Only about a couple hundred people net moved from Staten Island; not quite 1,000 migrated from the Bronx; about 2,000 came here from Queens.

And nearly 20,000 moved here from Brooklyn.

My explanation for this: The Brooklynites realized they were paying New York prices for the Philadelphia experience and figured they might as well get it for less.
Again, that's because of people are being priced out of New York, it has nothing to do with Philadelphia being a good city, and quite frankly- you get what you pay for.

If the real estate Market in Philadelphia was just as high as New York, there would be virtually no reason to move here. Affordability is the city's only saving grace and somehow had the least population increase compared to it's more expensive "neighbors".

Old 12-08-2021, 12:30 PM

1,026 posts, read 449,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
"George Floyd had his ''3-strikes and you're out'' fentanyl overdose" - Why do you even comment here? Stuff like this along with posting a bunch of unconfirmed things from the Citizen app to say "Center City is awful" just shows your extreme bias and ruins any credibility you might have had.
The only incidents that didn't necessarily happen on Citizens App are the ones noted as ''unconfirmed''. Never said Center City is awful, you did. For example, a woman was stabbed in the 2100 block of Arch Street today at 7:51 am and a man was shot to death in the 1800 block of Cherry Street/Parkway area around 1:15 am. You object to Citizens App stuff but not about our DA's amazing ability to reduce crime...lol.

The "Floyd Effect'', which is much more extensive and destructive than the ''Ferguson Effect''. All this, and for what? A 46 year old violent street career criminal addicted to fentanyl whose 3rd overdose in 1 year took him out. The whole Floyd narrative was a lie used to create division and destruction and we have 523+ heading into the end of the year. Can't mention this though as this largest increase in homicides in U.S. history year to year is the result of lack of jobs, the drug trade or increased drugs (since June 2020 I guess or since the border has been wide open again and fentanyl from China makes it way here easier?), lack of resources, oh, and the pandemic. Like the narrative that there's a holocaust toll of police hunting and killing black folks...2019, 9 unarmed black folks killed by cops.

And our Comrade DA was out supervising the ''protests'' against the police in summer 2020.

The 3-strikes you're out analogy was based in response to MarketStEl idea to make folks involved with property crimes pay for their crimes.

The criminals, violent and otherwise, have been given the upper hand and bias can go both ways. PPD is short-staffed, imagine that.

Old 12-08-2021, 12:33 PM

1,026 posts, read 449,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
A statistic to chew on:

More people move between New York and Philadelphia than between any other two cities in the country.

Over the past two decades, the population flow has been net towards Philadelphia.

A few years back, The Inquirer did a story where they broke down the population flows over the previous 10 years by New York City borough.

The population flow between Philadelphia and Manhattan was net towards Manhattan by a few thousand, and this makes sense, for Manhattan is like no other urban place in the country, and if you can afford to live there, you will.

The net flow was towards Philadelphia from all the other boroughs. Only about a couple hundred people net moved from Staten Island; not quite 1,000 migrated from the Bronx; about 2,000 came here from Queens.

And nearly 20,000 moved here from Brooklyn.

My explanation for this: The Brooklynites realized they were paying New York prices for the Philadelphia experience and figured they might as well get it for less.
Isn't the flow from NYC to Philly largely from the immigrant community?

Last edited by MPK21; 12-08-2021 at 01:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia