Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2022, 06:57 AM

14,315 posts, read 9,193,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
https://6abc.com/philadelphia-shooti...oday/12272803/
I don't really understand why Roxborough HS isn't better than it is. Its catchment ranges from perfectly fine working class areas, and up.
Because most middle-class families in neighborhoods like Roxborough do whatever they can to avoid sending their kids to the local neighborhood high school.

I argued against this tendency in my 2020 Phillymag Schools Issue cover feature, but I dealt only with grade schools in that story. Even I acknowledge that the changes kids undergo as puberty kicks in make the high school environment qualitatively different from that of grade school. Combine that with the lack of parenting on the part of enough of the less advantaged kids to make a difference and you have a toxic stew of fights (and other mayhem, like that trashing of that Wawa) waiting to happen.

BTW, regarding "neutering the police": I suspect this is one of those cases of a few bad apples spoiling the bunch. Ignore the complaints of people being mistreated by the bad apples long enough and sooner or later things blow wide open and the system is forced to overcompensate.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Idiotic teenagers can't be trusted with guns. I don't know how many times that statement needs to be repeated.

I don't want to hear the standard bulls**t about upbringing and parental involvement. You're not going to solve a major sociological family dynamic issue with anywhere close to the public resources we have today; it's a red herring.

This kind of crime can only stop with a crackdown on the tools that enable it to happen in the first place.

Take. The. Guns. Away. From. Idiots.
You posted this while I was composing the post following yours.

Yes, that needs to be done, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't do what we can to repair the broken family/parenting dynamics. Think of solving these problems like choosing items from the dim sum cart as it makes its rounds of the restaurant: you don't just pick the same item off the cart all the time.

Rebuilding that neighborhood ecosystem of alternative activities and de-escalation intervenors will help prevent some of the mayhem from happening in the first place.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:28 AM

387 posts, read 269,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

Yes, that needs to be done, but that doesn't mean that we shouldn't do what we can to repair the broken family/parenting dynamics. Think of solving these problems like choosing items from the dim sum cart as it makes its rounds of the restaurant: you don't just pick the same item off the cart all the time.

Rebuilding that neighborhood ecosystem of alternative activities and de-escalation intervenors will help prevent some of the mayhem from happening in the first place.
Yes, there needs to be short term and long term solutions but until the DA aggressively cracks down on illegal guns, potentially thousands of boys (mostly black) in Philadelphia will be killed. I think Krasner is well intentioned but he’s just so severely misguided and actively harming Philadelphia’s youth at this point by trying to diminish this important issue of illegal guns. If this Roxborough incident isn’t a wake up call then nothing will be.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
Yes, there needs to be short term and long term solutions but until the DA aggressively cracks down on illegal guns, potentially thousands of boys (mostly black) in Philadelphia will be killed. I think Krasner is well intentioned but he’s just so severely misguided and actively harming Philadelphia’s youth at this point by trying to diminish this important issue of illegal guns. If this Roxborough incident isn’t a wake up call then nothing will be.
Like his opponents, Krasner's mind is made up, and he doesn't want the facts to cloud the issue.

Old 09-28-2022, 07:51 AM

7,295 posts, read 10,645,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post

What you say is indeed true, even if my post seemed dismissive of the issue of family/parenting dynamics.

But I do believe mphilly's post summed up what really needs to happen eloquently. The urgency of craking down on illegal guns--whether through straw purchases, ghost guns, gun trafficking, etc.--could not be greater than it is today.

This, for example, is absurd that it is going on largely unregulated:

Quote:
Ghost guns in the hands of criminals are a growing problem for law enforcement. Research conducted in 2020 by Everytown for Gun Safety, a grassroots organization that pushes for more regulations of firearms, found that 68 percent of online gun sellers today began selling ghost gun parts after 2014. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) says law enforcement around the U.S. reported they had recovered approximately 20,000 suspected ghost guns in criminal investigations in 2021 — an increase of 10 times since 2016.
https://science.howstuffworks.com/ghost-guns.htm

Old 09-28-2022, 08:04 AM

9,415 posts, read 9,403,912 times
Quote:
Idiotic teenagers can't be trusted with guns. I don't know how many times that statement needs to be repeated.

I don't want to hear the standard bulls**t about upbringing and parental involvement. You're not going to solve a major sociological family dynamic issue with anywhere close to the public resources we have today; it's a red herring.

This kind of crime can only stop with a crackdown on the tools that enable it to happen in the first place.

I don't know how this will be enforced, but it's a start.

I'm not defending Kenney, but he has a point when he mentioned the state is after Krasner, but the state still refuses to allow Philadelphia to enact it's own gun legislation. Why not at least give it a trial run...

Jim Kenney signs exec order to ban guns at Philly rec centers, a move that could spur legal challenges

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20220927.html

Old 09-28-2022, 09:55 AM

1,705 posts, read 983,565 times
Quote:
The urgency of cracking down on illegal guns--whether through straw purchases, ghost guns, gun trafficking, etc.--could not be greater than it is today.

Agreed. How, exactly?

Old 09-28-2022, 11:49 AM

1,705 posts, read 983,565 times
Gut feeling....

After seeing today's briefing, I think the cops are gonna get these animals that shot up Roxborough. They have a lot on them and are offering a lot of cash.

These national stories tend to get somewhere.

Cannot WAIT to see the perp walk on this one.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:00 PM

7,743 posts, read 5,548,702 times
Oh yeah, its probably not going to be local cops though. It's going to be US Marshals, FBI, and ATF agents.

Old 09-28-2022, 12:45 PM

463 posts, read 208,353 times
Quote:

Getting illegal guns off the streets is absolutely where we should be focused. Although, incredibly swift and severe punishment for crimes needs to be instituted and executed. And the parents should be held to the same punishment. Or worse.

The message to these criminals from the district attorney is exactly the opposite. And that's not everything, but it's a big part of it as well. People keep saying they want change, but the change that's needed is a strong police force and district attorney, throwing away keys and plugging in the electric chair. Most of the people saying they want change are not exactly standing with the police force. And many of them are voting for Krasner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia