Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2022, 05:55 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
This is the reason Stop & Frisk is not coming back, making illegal gun possession arrest will skew higher for black residents (black males) compared to population demographic % (like violent crime here generally and homicides in particular) and has nothing to do with a lack of probable cause:

''It’s counterproductive to prioritize that more than solving gun violence. The reality is that if you want to stop gun violence, you should pursue gun violence."

Will not arrest or prosecute illegal possession of guns in Philly. Why not?

Please let's stop the hurt feelings cuz someone was doing something to warrant a police stop...and frisk....happened to me years ago when I was waiting for a friend at her at night car on Spruce Street...had an out of state license...frisked...this was the era when the city was reducing homicides/crime generally.

I didn't cry, have hurt feelings, file complaints, get a lawyer to sue etc. Cop was doing his job...effectively. I didn't hassle the cop, get nasty or otherwise be an a-hole.

Gotta say though at a local Target, a few young kids (10-12 y.o.) were having it out with security and PPD in an aisle...and I mean these kids were unbelievable the way they responded to these security/cop officers...let's keep messaging young black kids that cops are out hunting them for no reason and America's systemic racist system is oppressing them even though little/young kids are roaming around a Target shoplifting with no adult supervision...no American knows what oppression is, at least currently.
I think most all of us want to get guns off the street.

On what approximate block of Spruce Street were you on when you had that police encounter? That can make a difference on why you were stopped. Assuming you live(d) in the city, imagine if the police regularly made rounds in your neighborhood but instead of engaging with the residents in a positive way, pulled people aside for stop-and-frisk maneuvers. You may grow to eventually resent that, especially if you knew you and most of your neighbors were law-abiding citizens.

If that Target incident made the news, I may have missed it. Certainly those kids were disrespectful, to say the least, and one should certainly wonder where there parents were and what consequences were later imposed in the household if not (also?) legally. Paraphrasing what I said upthread, two things can be true at the same time: parents need to take more personal responsibility for their kids' actions and police brutality needs to be addressed.

Old 09-30-2022, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Here's an off the wall idea: how about parents taking guns away from their kids when they come home with them?
That would presume that the kids aren't savvy enough to hide their weapons and present themselves as innocents. On the other hand, if the kids are flaunting their guns in front of their parents, then the adults should certainly be taking some action. I'd wager that it leans a bit more towards the former.

Old 09-30-2022, 07:55 PM

1,213 posts, read 955,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
That would presume that the kids aren't savvy enough to hide their weapons and present themselves as innocents. On the other hand, if the kids are flaunting their guns in front of their parents, then the adults should certainly be taking some action. I'd wager that it leans a bit more towards the former.
That would also presume the parents are actual parenting and give a sh*t. From what I've seen from living all over the city, and in many very very sketchy areas over the decades, that the vast majority of the tweens and teens out there jacking people were born for one reason - additional taxpayer free money, not because they are loved members of a family. I'd wager a lot of these lost souls have had miserable lives to date and are very disturbed individuals that have been unleashed on society for us to deal with.

Old 09-30-2022, 08:00 PM

1,213 posts, read 955,489 times
By the way, here is the story on NPR I previously mentioned in this thread. Buried deep in this agenda-driven story is that this woman has SIX children. I mean... seriously.

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/29/11258...food-last-year

I wish they had a major in University when I went that taught me how I could just father dozens of children and get paid thousands of dollars more each month by impregnating various women. I would never have to actually raise, pay, or, in many instances, even meet, my offspring. Sh*t, I don't want to work anymore. I just didn't know a career like that existed. Pretty awesome situation. Maybe that's the solution to the violence. Just let everyone know to procreate as much as possible and society will float you.

Last edited by Pennsport; 09-30-2022 at 08:19 PM..

Old 09-30-2022, 08:05 PM

1,026 posts, read 447,406 times
[quote=FindingZen;64220051]Full disclosure: I was out of town when stop-and-frisk was enforced here. However, I'm aware of what happened up the road in New York and, without taking this too far off-topic geographically, statistics showed that Black and Latino men were disproportionately targeted there. I would be surprised if that were much different here in Philadelphia.o

"Targeting'' was not the objection to S&F, it was based on disproportionate outcomes...why wouldn't they be when black males were committing a disproportionate # of homicides and violent crime?

Can never understand how people wouldn't expect any demographic committing a disproportionate amount of violent/gun crime over population %...to not have a disproportionate % in enforcing a law enforcement tactic designed to reduce violent/gun crime.

Let's not forget that the same demographic has a huge disproportionate % of population of homicide victims as well.

It's all about creating equality; why do you think Krasner is not arresting-prosecuting illegal gun possession? Evening out the #s to equal or be below population %.

Just like the nonsense Driver Equality law...creating equality by not making vehicle stops? Why? because black residents were stopped above their populations %. Again, the stops were legal; it's the disproportionate outcome that people don't like, want, or accept. Accordingly, equality needs to be created at the expense of public safety.

Last edited by MPK21; 09-30-2022 at 09:11 PM..

Old 09-30-2022, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Really? You believe parents should not know otherwise that their kids have guns in their homes because kids weren't ''flaunting'' them? Wow...smh

So, parents don't have the right to go through their kids rooms etc?...especially in today's gun crisis?

Old 09-30-2022, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I think most all of us want to get guns off the street.

On what approximate block of Spruce Street were you on when you had that police encounter? That can make a difference on why you were stopped. Assuming you live(d) in the city, imagine if the police regularly made rounds in your neighborhood but instead of engaging with the residents in a positive way, pulled people aside for stop-and-frisk maneuvers. You may grow to eventually resent that, especially if you knew you and most of your neighbors were law-abiding citizens.

If that Target incident made the news, I may have missed it. Certainly those kids were disrespectful, to say the least, and one should certainly wonder where there parents were and what consequences were later imposed in the household if not (also?) legally. Paraphrasing what I said upthread, two things can be true at the same time: parents need to take more personal responsibility for their kids' actions and police brutality needs to be addressed.
If the Target incident made the news? huh? Why would some random little kids mouthing off to cops/security be on the news when, for example, the carjacking crisis isn't?

The police were regularly making the rounds doing legal stop & frisks....so let's have ''feelings'' over lives in today's ''gun crisis''...wtf?

There's another one of these add-ons: now it's ''police brutality''...why does everyone have to have these ''add ons''? Is anyone for police brutality? wtf?

Must be some kind of mental reassurance or counter balance...it's bizarre

Last edited by MPK21; 09-30-2022 at 09:12 PM..

Old 10-01-2022, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Really? You believe parents should not know otherwise that their kids have guns in their homes because kids weren't ''flaunting'' them? Wow...smh

So, parents don't have the right to go through their kids rooms etc?...especially in today's gun crisis?
You’re reading into what I am saying in a negative way. Of course, parents should go through their kids’ rooms and belongings…but if they have no reason to expect wrongdoing then why would they?

Old 10-01-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
If the Target incident made the news? huh? Why would some random little kids mouthing off to cops/security be on the news when, for example, the carjacking crisis isn't?

The police were regularly making the rounds doing legal stop & frisks....so let's have ''feelings'' over lives in today's ''gun crisis''...wtf?

There's another one of these add-ons: now it's ''police brutality''...why does everyone have to have these ''add ons''? Is anyone for police brutality? wtf?

Must be some kind of mental reassurance or counter balance...it's bizarre
It’s an “add-on” that has gone on in Philadelphia for over 250 years, had a peak during the “safe” years that Rizzo was Commish, and never really stopped.

As I said, two things can be true at the same time.

Old 10-01-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
That would also presume the parents are actual parenting and give a sh*t. From what I've seen from living all over the city, and in many very very sketchy areas over the decades, that the vast majority of the tweens and teens out there jacking people were born for one reason - additional taxpayer free money, not because they are loved members of a family. I'd wager a lot of these lost souls have had miserable lives to date and are very disturbed individuals that have been unleashed on society for us to deal with.
I believe there are other reasons - women/girls believing their male intimate partners loved them, not being taught/not being able to afford birth control - but I won’t discount sadly that many of the kids are looked at as income streams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia