Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2022, 01:50 PM

1,028 posts, read 450,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
It appears we're just late to the game. Here's a stat regarding Oklahoma City's murder rate in 2014, from this Oklahoma Gazette article:

Now, the article goes on to note that the rate was trending downward. But this was at a time when murder rates were trending downward just about everywhere else.

By contrast, they've been trending up just about everywhere since the onset of the pandemic. Now, I do see that in 2021, murders in OKC reached a five-year low (source).

But then there's that Third Way report I posted elsewhere.

Then, this isn't really strictly a problem of cities run by progressives.
From my response, in part, to your post upthread:

"Who are the violent criminals in Oklahoma City & Tulsa?

Did either of these cities see a homicide increase of 40% from 2019-2020? Or a 58% homicide rise 2019-2021? Or, a 129% homicide increase from 2014-2021?

If we want to look at a national level, being 6% of the population, black males commit about 52% of violent crime; 2% of this population, ages 16-21 commit about 42% of total homicides in the U.S.

So are get tough or get lenient policies meaningless perhaps until the internal cultural and community issues are discussed (or even allowed to be mentioned)?''

Did OK City have stop and frisk 2006-2014 like Philly did?

What did OK City do from 2014 forward to gets its homicides reduced to a 5 year low in 2021 while Philly had the complete opposite result.

As Philly's homicides were decreasing from around 2006 or so until 2014, OK City's rate were skyrocketing....then as OK City's #s declined, Philly's skrocketed.

Again, what is it about 2014 in Philly that reversed our downward murder trend?

A great start here would be going after illegal guns and prosecuting these folks BEFORE they commit a violent crime/homicide.

Old 10-05-2022, 02:23 PM

14,252 posts, read 9,138,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post

A great start here would be going after illegal guns and prosecuting these folks BEFORE they commit a violent crime/homicide.
Agreed — and this is precisely where stop-and-frisk can make a huge contribution.

Old 10-05-2022, 07:11 PM

2,237 posts, read 1,130,147 times
Welp, just heard several gunshots rang out as I was walking down the driveway. Police are currently canvassing my street. Let's see if it makes the news.

Old 10-05-2022, 09:24 PM

1,028 posts, read 450,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
You've been talking about "the Left" this entire thread. You are politicizing it, and you are politically motivated. So are you posting to make a political point, or posting because you care about the victims of crime?

How do you explain the crime and homicide spike in Oklahoma City? Is Republican David Holt to blame? How about the crime spike in Colorado Springs? Do you blame their Republican mayor and DA? Where are the droves of leftists in these cities causing the spike?

So what interest do you really have in this thread, MPK21? Do you want people to come together to solve the problem of crime, or do you want to go on political rants about leftists while crime ravages our nation, transcending political lines?

You are pontificating this whole time. You seem to know the intricacies of family dynamics in communities where crime is disproportionate. What intel do you have that the rest of us lack?

You sound like the kind of person that can't take critique, so you think those criticizing you have no place in the discussion. Your professed know-betterism is tired, and it is clear you are out of touch with bridging paths toward real solutions. You don't like "leftists." We get it. Lamenting about them will not solve crime. Crime is up in "rightist" cities as well. I never called myself an expert, but if you think that makes me an "expert," you should probably examine what your place is, and what your tone should be while discussing crime that deeply and personally impacts many people. It's not a political football game.
What crime spike in Oklahoma City? Oklahoma City currently has a homicide rate of 11/100,000 while Philly is at 35/100,000.

MSE cited the surge in homicides in OKC from 2006-2014 that has since then gone down to 11/100K. Perhaps you read what you needed to read in that post and go with the misplaced crime spike in OKC...that happened 16 years ago.

I've stated several times the Floyd Effect will easy cost 10,000+ black lives across the country...including what you call ''righist'' (lol) cities.

Don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house (talk about not taking a ''critique lol).

Still waiting for someone to state the reason why Philly homicides began to climb again in 2014. Let's hear it ye of knowing the ins and outs of crime victims and community meetings.

You've read the % increases here from 2014-2022, especially 2019-2022. Please explain the cause and then, accordingly, the solution based on the cause/s.

Thanks for the warning and lecture about what my ''tone'' should be. As for the off the wall statement that I think posters here have no place in this discussion because I can't take a critique...all I can say is you're the poster who took it upon him/her/they self to ask how anyone can tolerate this thread because of my posts LOL.

"IDK how anyone in their right mind tolerates this thread anymore."...then you dropped your ''qualifications'' to discuss crime and those off script are dismissed as keyboard warriors. Standard move to start to get the thread closed or try to get a poster banned.

Do you really simply not participate when you find a thread useless though?

Muinteoir Muinteoir started this thread
befriend

1,674 posts, read 882,599 times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeauty202 View Post
:YAWN: A useless poll for a bunch of Philly Boosters to get their rocks off about Philly being the greatest thing since sliced bread in PA.... ITS OLD!
Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed! When I find a poll or thread "useless," I simply do not participate. Try it.

Last edited by MPK21; 10-05-2022 at 09:48 PM..

Old 10-06-2022, 02:25 AM

841 posts, read 697,096 times
Nice close by comparison

https://www.foxnews.com/us/violent-c...funding-police

Purzycki attributed the decrease in part to community support for police, noting how officers "feel under siege" in some other cities. "I think, generally speaking, the community is very supportive,"

Old 10-06-2022, 02:28 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,459,247 times
MPK21, LOL, you really did some digging. I didn't realize I got under your skin so much. Odd, I didn't even mention you by name in my original response, but you really took it personally. What made you feel like it was about you?

Do you know the meaning of crime spike? It is an increase in crime. OKC and PHL both have elevated crime rates from their pre-COVID levels. The point is, you can blame "leftists" in neither instance.

It's spelled "rightist." It is as much a word as is "leftist."

Please elaborate on my glass house? I know dropping cliches can be fun, but I don't understand why you did that. You are the one sensitive to critique. I am just stating facts. Facts > feelings, right?

FTR, wondering how anyone tolerates this thread anymore isn't saying I find it useless. In fact, I have participated before to discuss crime. The hyper-politicization is what makes me wonder, "anymore." The thread isn't useless. Some of the "contributing" posts are. See the distinction?

Now, you may just want to go reflect on why you took this so personally when I never mentioned you by name.

Old 10-06-2022, 05:51 AM

14,252 posts, read 9,138,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Nice close by comparison

https://www.foxnews.com/us/violent-c...funding-police

Purzycki attributed the decrease in part to community support for police, noting how officers "feel under siege" in some other cities. "I think, generally speaking, the community is very supportive,"
The Woke have a huge megaphone, but I don't think that most Blacks are marching behind them on this issue. Delaware's largest city, btw, is majority Black (57.2% per Census data).

Most of us want good policing. We just want those cops to treat us with respect. It appears that Wilmington's mayor and police chief understand this and made police-community relations* part of a multi-pronged strategy to reverse the post-pandemic crime surge. (I note that the city council there voted to raise, not lower, bail for some offenses.)

But also, I see that the city disciplines cops who don't get with the program. That doesn't seem to happen in a lot of cities, including this one, and I lay the blame for this in the lap of FOP Lodge 5.

But I also see that city officials there focus on getting illegal guns off the streets (paging MPK21). This being Fox News, the story quotes people who question the effectiveness of strict gun laws, including John "More Guns, Less Crime" Lott; I'd like to know what gun laws are like in Delaware and where they differ from Pennsylvania's.

*This is my main takeaway from Camden, where crime also fell after the chief of the new county-run police department told the rank-and-file that getting to know the people on their beats was their first job. (Also worth noting here: Not only was the chief new, but so were the cops, as the Camden City FOP lodge declined the new chief's offer of letting them keep their jobs. The new force is represented by the New Jersey State FOP lodge. So the Camden County Police Department got to start with a blank slate, which no doubt helped get police-community relations off to a good start.)

Old 10-06-2022, 03:58 PM

1,699 posts, read 978,106 times
I understand that we’ll never get to a place where we can reinstate stop and frisk in a modern city. How about allowing police to stop anyone wearing black hoodies, black pants, black shoes and black masks?

Would that offend all the all-black clothes people out there who’s right to wear all black would be violated?

Literally every violent crime committed is perpetrated by someone in that outfit.

Old 10-06-2022, 04:12 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,459,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I understand that we’ll never get to a place where we can reinstate stop and frisk in a modern city. How about allowing police to stop anyone wearing black hoodies, black pants, black shoes and black masks?

Would that offend all the all-black clothes people out there who’s right to wear all black would be violated?

Literally every violent crime committed is perpetrated by someone in that outfit.
I don't really wear black hoodies, but I dress in all black (or close to it) often. So yes, I'd be offended. Lol.

Old 10-06-2022, 09:58 PM

273 posts, read 104,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
The point is, how much is being invested in really turning things around for the people of rural Appalachia, and neighborhoods like Fairhill? Where are the programs to drastically improve access to high quality education, public accountability for children living in traumatic environments, living wage jobs, and the built environment / infrastructure of disinvested neighborhoods and cities?
Bluntly, any current social problems will probably NOT be solved by the kind of big gov't programs that we've seen in the past.

In the decades following WWII, the US was the world economy. The tremendous wealth the US generated post WWII is largely gone. Spent on a lot of things - including big gov't social programs.

Who on the planet has enough money to fund an American leftist utopia - no one! Well, maybe the Chinese and few of their friends, but somehow I don't think they're going to bail us out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia