Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2022, 01:49 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,757,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Temple has the safest feeling campus and has the most traditional college IMO. I would be curious how many off campus students live around the various schools. It's honestly wild how bad Manuta is considering how much closer to downtown it is, and how more far out places like Francisville have gentrified so much more.
always thought upenn had the safer campus over Drexel and Temple

Old 10-03-2022, 01:53 PM

1,699 posts, read 975,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymkt View Post
I think there are more security people around Penn. The campus itself is very safe. Step a few blocks away and it's a different story. Just like at Temple.

Old 10-03-2022, 01:55 PM

9,383 posts, read 9,360,173 times
Quote:
Temple has the safest feeling campus and has the most traditional college IMO. I would be curious how many off campus students live around the various schools. It's honestly wild how bad Manuta is considering how much closer to downtown it is, and how more far out places like Francisville have gentrified so much more.
Agreed, Temple (campus) is quite safe, well lit, heavily patrolled, but it quickly turns bad when exiting campus in basically every direction. North Broad (toward Center City) has greatly improved though.

With regard to Mantua and I guess Drexel... Mantua is a relatively small area (though an interesting point about its current state). Drexel & Penn take up more real estate, they border 30th Street / Center City and several stable adjacent neighborhoods. Not to say crime doesn't happen in those areas (see the horrific random shooting from a few weeks ago), but the general Drexel / Penn area is leaps and bounds nicer and further along than the "Greater Temple Area".

Old 10-03-2022, 01:57 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,757,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I think there are more security people around Penn. The campus itself is very safe. Step a few blocks away and it's a different story. Just like at Temple.
i think applies to drexel more since its a lot closer to mantua than Upenn. Upenn is on the other side of Market street 7 or 8 blocks away

Old 10-03-2022, 01:59 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,530,145 times
Quote:

For some reason, I feel like the last time we talked about this, it said Penn had the highest rate of incidents. I just googled it, and nothing local came up.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
i think applies to drexel more since its a lot closer to mantua than Upenn. Upenn is on the other side of Market street 7 or 8 blocks away

Penn and Temple also have the benefit of having their own full police departments funded by the state that patrol campus and a few blocks off all the time.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:38 PM

7,273 posts, read 10,614,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Not the best time in Philly to argue against legal gun ownership when our top law enforcement officer is not interested in taking illegal guns off the streets and out of the hands of criminals and allegedly only interested in post-gun violence cases. A policy encouraging legal gun ownership.
It's not an "argument against legal gun ownership" per se, but a critique of the very low bar in which a gun can be legally acquired.

I'll go on the record saying that I strongly disagree with the current DA approach of de-emphasizing convictions for illegal gun crimes, but the legality of gun ownership doesn't preclude a criminal event, as we see with this Manayunk incident.

Quote:
Btw, what are ''crime busting warriors''? I asked upthread for a definition of the ''get tough (on crime) types'' but have yet to get a definition response. Are they, for example. pro-arrest and prosecute folks illegally in possession of firearms in Philly?
It's my personal, tongue-in-cheek description of those who lament, or even troll, about crime without offering politically realistic or constructive solutions.

Vitriolic rants about Larry Krasner or the CrImInAL LoViNG DeMoCrAts don't solve anything.

Quote:
What is legal ''unfettered gun ownership'' in Philly?
This certainly isn't a Philly-specific issue, and I've mentioned it a few times in this thread already. There are numerous loopholes in which a gun can be acquired by those who have criminal intent through legal means:

https://www.bradyunited.org/issue/laws-and-loopholes

Old 10-03-2022, 02:49 PM

9,383 posts, read 9,360,173 times
Quote:
Penn and Temple also have the benefit of having their own full police departments funded by the state that patrol campus and a few blocks off all the time.
Drexel has a police department, not sure how they're funded though.

Old 10-03-2022, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Drexel has a police department, not sure how they're funded though.

I responded to you in the 2035 thread.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:16 PM

14,209 posts, read 9,110,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Theres no middle ground with the animals who are ruining Philly, left wing agenda and liberal empathy have brought us to the place were at.
Do I need to wave that damned ProPublica story in front of you again? Did you read it when I posted it?

It wasn't "left-wing agenda and liberal empathy" that brought us to this pass, it was the complete disappearance of (largely neighborhood-based and informal) support networks that provided young men with something to do other than get bored and go looking for s**t to raise when the COVID lockdowns hit.

Sure, the DA's unwillingness to actually prosecute doesn't help, but were those supports and alternatives in place, he'd have fewer people to not prosecute.

Quote:
So these students dont visit the Temple area before deciding to attend the school? I would think once they came to see where the campus was located they would go to another college
Most students, I'd submit, don't visit the campuses of the schools they're interested in before they apply; travel took up time and money even when I was applying in 1976, and I never saw anything other than pictures of the four campuses where I was applying to school.

And one of those — the University of Chicago — is located in a neighborhood on that city's South Side that has as bad a reputation as North Central Philadelphia around Temple does. (There is a zone immediately north of the campus where many Chicago faculty and staff live; the university regarded it as a barrier back in the 1970s, and it may still be now.)

Chicago's reputation seems to me to trump its location in the eyes of those who apply to it. Temple offers similar attractions for a different class of students, lots of them Pennsylvanians since it's a top-tier state university. (I got recruiting materials from Temple when I was in high school in Kansas City. I thought it was an HBCU because of its now-disgraced most famous alumnus, whose every stand-up comedy album I owned.)

Quote:
Francisville is not that much further out than Mantua is, and it has better transit connections to Center City (two SEPTA bus routes offering one-seat rides into the city center and two Broad Street Subway stations on its eastern border, plus a trolley^Wbus route connecting its northern edge to one of them). In addition, its local CDC was headed by a resident who welcomed market-rate housing development with open arms, which is not something many CDCs in low-income neighborhoods are known for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia