Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2022, 09:47 AM

475 posts, read 277,422 times

Advertisements

17 homicides this year, up 31% from this time last year.... wtf?? If we continue at this rate, the numbers are going to be TERRIBLE by the end of the year. It's supposed to slow down in the winter and yet we have more than Chicago so far.

Sucks because I am a huge advocate that it's safe for most people to live here (because it is, and Philly is awesome), but these numbers don't help us from an optics perspective....

Old 01-11-2022, 11:08 AM

9,413 posts, read 9,403,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post
17 homicides this year, up 31% from this time last year.... wtf?? If we continue at this rate, the numbers are going to be TERRIBLE by the end of the year. It's supposed to slow down in the winter and yet we have more than Chicago so far.

Sucks because I am a huge advocate that it's safe for most people to live here (because it is, and Philly is awesome), but these numbers don't help us from an optics perspective....
Holy Moly, and this is with freezing temperatures. Is there a map of where these homicides took place? Widespread or localized?

Old 01-11-2022, 12:14 PM

463 posts, read 208,299 times
Quote:

I don't agree that it is just optics. The violence and shootings affect everyone and they have become more widespread. That being said, it is just the very beginning of the year. 2007 had very high numbers early on but did not peak nearly as high as last year. It is very possible that this rate will not continue. We need a new district attorney and leadership, ultimately.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Holy Moly, and this is with freezing temperatures. Is there a map of where these homicides took place? Widespread or localized?
Pretty much the usual locations: https://controller.phila.gov/philade...iolence/#/2022

When you switch the filter to "fatal only", 9 of the 11 are in North Philly, with one in South and one West.

Old 01-11-2022, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovephilly79 View Post
I don't agree that it is just optics. The violence and shootings affect everyone and they have become more widespread. That being said, it is just the very beginning of the year. 2007 had very high numbers early on but did not peak nearly as high as last year. It is very possible that this rate will not continue. We need a new district attorney and leadership, ultimately.
Perhaps that was a bit self-absorbed of me to say, my apologies. Ask people living in Kensington and Frankford if it's just bad optics and they'll resoundingly say no. I just meant that from the outside, people will assume all of Philly is a dangerous place when in reality you can still traverse most areas safely. Agreed on new leadership being needed, we simply can't continue on this current trajectory if the city is to keep growing.

Old 01-11-2022, 01:26 PM

463 posts, read 208,299 times
Quote:
Perhaps that was a bit self-absorbed of me to say, my apologies. Ask people living in Kensington and Frankford if it's just bad optics and they'll resoundingly say no. I just meant that from the outside, people will assume all of Philly is a dangerous place when in reality you can still traverse most areas safely. Agreed on new leadership being needed, we simply can't continue on this current trajectory if the city is to keep growing.
It's a tough discussion because it's such a complex, large issue. We see it with the different reactions over time in this thread. The trick is to be aware and outraged, while also not letting it consume you and stop you from enjoying the good things in the city. I think the news, social media, and the mood of the day for each of us influences how we discuss and view these challenges. That being said, I don't think you were being self-absorbed.

Old 01-11-2022, 03:03 PM

979 posts, read 421,983 times
Three carjackings last night - with one carjacker getting plugged.

Old 01-12-2022, 08:00 AM

1,705 posts, read 983,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
Three carjackings last night - with one carjacker getting plugged.
Please no one take this the wrong way, but fewer things are more satisfying when some violent criminal gets popped by someone he's trying to commit a violent crime to.

Old 01-12-2022, 11:11 AM

979 posts, read 421,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Please no one take this the wrong way, but fewer things are more satisfying when some violent criminal gets popped by someone he's trying to commit a violent crime to.
How could someone take that the wrong way?

Old 01-12-2022, 11:51 AM

1,705 posts, read 983,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrychen View Post
How could someone take that the wrong way?
Oh you know.... All us libs and whatnot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia